Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof leak?

In cant seem to find my roof leak. I have taped the sides, caulked around top running lights, used tarp to cover satellite dish, caulked everywhere wires go into Roof. My unit sits downhill in driveway, and I always get water on the dash after rain. I only have 2 small roof vents and a solar panel, which I will cover next.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It sounds like a windshield leak to me. If it's not your front running lights, it's likely leaking from the top of the windshield itself. There are a lot of posts on it and, if not taken care of asap, can result in thousands of dollars in repairs to your steel windshield frame. Fortunately, the fix can be a simple as a strip of Eternabond tape across the top of your windshield, assuming no extensive damage has occurred:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...4dUDCAs&uact=5
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If it's not the windshield, this may help:

There are other, related videos at AZ Expert's Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/azrvexpert/videos
Old 11-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My vote is for the windshield as well. I’d gently peel back the rubber surround at the top and look for rust/gaps where the glass is glued to the frame. As BobC noted it’s a common issue and one you don’t want to ignore.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
My vote is for the windshield as well. I’d gently peel back the rubber surround at the top and look for rust/gaps where the glass is glued to the frame. As BobC noted it’s a common issue and one you don’t want to ignore.
Note that the rubber surround is just trim and isn't intended to be a seal so don't be concerned about disturbing it. It's just press-fit into a channel. If you find a lot of silicone or other sealant underneath it, it's the remnant of a PO's unsuccessful repair attempt, so don't repeat the error.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Roof leak

Had the same issue with windshield. Cover top of rubber trim with some tape and see it helps. I put a 1" strip of eternabond tape there and it quit. Since then I have had windshield replaced and all is good.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
In cant seem to find my roof leak. I have taped the sides, caulked around top running lights, used tarp to cover satellite dish, caulked everywhere wires go into Roof. My unit sits downhill in driveway, and I always get water on the dash after rain. I only have 2 small roof vents and a solar panel, which I will cover next.
Have you checked the gasket under your a/c? Mine leaked once.
Hogmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:35 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

When I'm trying to find a leak, I take off what ever interior/exterior trim necessary to see where the water is actually located. I then start at the lowest point and work my up until I hit a dry area. The leak has to be at this point as water doesn't run up.

The video that BobC provided (AZ Expert) is an excellent example of this - you can't, most times, just fix it without finding it. This video also shows quite well the necessity of proper and regular roof care.

I also find pictures very helpful. Without picture we all form our own pictures of both the problem and the repairs you've already made.

Good luck with it and when you solve it, please post the details. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My windshield does not leak inside, but I notice there is water at the bottom of the inside of the rubber trim on the bottom of the windshield when I’m washing the coach. Is that OK and normal.
What I’m asking is if water does get under the rubber seal will that rust the metal supports that holds the windshield In place or the metal supports are on the inside and all is normal. Thanks in advance for your help. Everyone have a great day ��.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I don't have roof air units.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Roof leak

I don't have any roof a.c. units.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If the drips are coming from the top of the windshield, you should be able to recreate it with a hose (it may take a while). I'd put newspaper or something similar on the dash to make the drips more visible. Apply Eternabond to the top of the black windshield moulding to seal it to the fiberglass and repeat the hose test.

Alternatively, just apply Eternabond to the top of the windshield moulding and see what happens in the next rainstorm. If it works, fine, you're done. If not, just leave it there to prevent a future leak and continue your detective work.

If you don't have any Eternabond, you can use duct tape, Gorilla tape, etc. for this test but replace it with Eternabond for the long term.

Even if your windshield isn't the source of the leak, adding the strip of Eternabond is a good preventative measure. It certainly isn't going to hurt.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I already applied 4"eternabond across the windshield, and taped the the front and rear cap seams. I am going to cover the tv antenna, the rhetoric solar panel. If it still drips on the dash, then I'll cover the only left objects, the two fan vents. I guess then I'll have to put a whole roof cover on it.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I bet that you've fixed it, but doing the fans won't hurt. A roof cover isn't a long-term solution since it's not going to be on when you're driving or camping in the rain.

By the way, make sure your windshield tape doesn't close off the bottom of the rubber moulding where it touches the windshield. You want to leave that unsealed so any water that does get in can drain out.

Let us know how you do in the next storm and put newspaper down so you can see the drips. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Tape seal

Eternabond is a great product and I have used it on the roof edges and front cap seams.
I used 3 inch wide vinyl tape to seal top of windshield. I was afraid to use Eternabond because it sticks so well. On a windshield replacement I would have a terrible time getting Ebond off the fiberglass.
After 3 years vinyl is holding up well.

https://www.amazon.com/ProTapes-Pro-...00DVBHEIQ?th=1
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I have covered the wine gard antenna, and it looks like it has stopped dripping. I guess it was running down the square tube that support the antenna, and running into the cavity of the antenna, and finding it's way down to the front. If you remember, my unit sits on a downhill slant.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I finally found my water leak. Rain was coming in at the roof edge where it sits in the track. Stupid design by sonny.

Tags
leak, roof