Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof Leak

Hey guys,

I have a leak over the dash of my 2002 Winnebago Journey. Is the roof rubber or no? Trying to figure out just what I need to apply to fix this. Thanks
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Roof is fiberglass
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestbro View Post
Hey guys,

I have a leak over the dash of my 2002 Winnebago Journey. Is the roof rubber or no? Trying to figure out just what I need to apply to fix this. Thanks
lwestbro,
About 99.999999999% of the Winny roofs are fiberglass. What you'll need to do is, get up there and dry it all off, if it's wet. Then, inspect every inch of the calking/sealing of the front cap, all the fixtures as in vents, antenna mounts, cable entries etc. Try and see if you can tell if any of the sealant that seals all of those components has failed. There are a few products that can be used for the repair. Dicor makes a self leveling sealant that "flows" just a bit, after it's applied. Before you start applying tape or any caulk, I'd pick up some of that Dicor. It's specifically for sealing roofs, rubber, fiberglass, aluminum, and more.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestbro View Post
Hey guys,

I recently had a leak over my dash that was coming from the windshield. The frame around the glass had rusted and pushed the glass away from the seal which allowed water to leak onto the dash.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

leak

Best stuff EVER to use is go to a hardware store and get a can (not the tube stuff like silicone) of thru the roof. Take an old paint brush and just spread it over any suspect areas. You don't even need to remove the old caulk. It spreads like thick paint and dries clear. Really great stuff. I got turned on to it here on the board. Good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the classic upper windshield leak. But the water could also be coming from clearance lamp or something else on the roof, then runs down the inside of the fiberglass to the upper windshield frame. Mine was a clearance lamp, water rusted the frame about 3" long, and then went between the glass and the frame.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

x2 with everyone here just had the same problem mine was the spot light.
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
. Mine was a clearance lamp, water rusted the frame about 3" long, and then went between the glass and the frame.
I first I thought my leak was coming from a cracked lens on my clearance light, but after pulling the light off, I saw where there was no way possible to leak from that light. The light is installed in a recess in the plastic cap with the only hole at the very top of the recess for the wire.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Check the the radius edge where the roof cap meets the sidewalll is still sealed. When water runs off of the rain gutter and hits that, if it is not sealed, it will leak directly on to the dash. It will show as drips hanging from the plastic above the dash just behind the windshield.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Bought some Through the Roof today. Applied to all potential sources of leaks, especially one highly suspected area. There is a seam that runs the width of the RV about midway of the door. Hopefully it works. Thanks for the tips....
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Forest has the answer for the exact same situation that i just ran into. Where that "rain gutter" runs off is directly on to the cap he addresses. I had the exact same problem and dug out the old caulking and applied new; solved the problem.

Tags
leak, roof