Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof inspection

New to this forum, I apologize in advance if i
I'm covering old ground. Last week, 50 miles east of Ft. Stockton, TX at 60 mph in 50-kt. winds, about 1/3 of the roof on my 2004 Journey 32T came off. Two rolls of Gorilla tape helped us limp to the nearest capable repair facility--in Albuquerque, NM--at 35 mph. When I called to report a claim on our comprehensive, the first question they asked was, "when was your roof seal last inspected." Well, as luck would have it, I had stumbled across Winnebago's notice that the roof seal must be inspected every six months, and had spent two days cleaning and resealing the j-channels last November. The receipts from Amazon for the specific sealant called for by Winnebago saved me over $10,000. From now on, I intend to pay my local RV dealer to inspect my new roof every six months, and save the records. Just thought you might like to know...
cgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

good info, thanks....who is your warranty with
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Journey is going on 14 years old. Winnebago warrants the roof for 10 years. My comprehensive covered the repairs(less the $500 deductible of course), but every policy includes an exclusion for failure to properly maintain the unit. There's the catch--if you can't show that you had it inspected or resealed within that semi-annual time frame, you could be in trouble. I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting to see whether that same exclusion would apply to a warranty claim. Cheers!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Perhaps I am miss reading here, you say Comprehensive - are you referring to Insurance and not an after market extended warranty?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, insurance. I decided against an extended warranty...there's a good issue for a whole new thread. It would be interesting to see how an extended warranty would deal with the "failure to properly maintain" concept.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

who is your insurance
Old 05-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

USAA
Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

USAA is subcontracted to Progressive
Old 05-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'll calendar some inspections. I have Progressive through USAA on my 2002 Suncruiser 35U. I don't know if it differs in coverage or cost from the standard Progressive policies. I recently had to use it for a tow and, despite a several hour delay while they located a suitable heavy-duty tow truck, they handled everything well.

I highly recommend USAA for anyone who qualifies (military, former military or military dependents). We have all of our insurance (homeowners, vehicle, etc.) through USAA.

USAA used to be for officers or former officers, but now all military/former military are covered regardless of rank.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We also have Progressive through USAA. Had previously heard poor reviews from folks insuring their autos, so was apprehensive when USAA shunted us to them. However, our experience has been extremely positive.

We had an extended warranty through Cornerstone, including towing, etc. After several weeks on the road, we broke down a mile south of the I-8/I-10 intersection, almost within sight of our home. Spent over two hours (literally) on phone with Cornerstone. The rep could not find our location!!!! Then, they wanted to send a tow truck from Phoenix to tow us to Freightliner in Phoenix. Called Progressive. They had a tow truck on scene (from Picacho) in less than thirty minutes. Took us to Freightliner Tucson.

Broken fan belt. Packrat nest between CAC & radiator. Rat chewed fan belt. Cornerstone would not pay the tow because we called Progressive. Then, they would not pay repairs because didn't cover animal damage.

Progressive covered the repairs, less $500 deductible, BECAUSE fan belt pieces were found in the packrat nest. And the tow, of course.

Happy, happy, happy with our experience. Dropped Cornerstone. The process was a frustrating bureaucratic mess.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We bought "United States Warranty" Ext. S.P. when we bought ours, just because that is what they used.

One catch is you must change the oil within 30 or, 90 days after purchase, or the engine is not covered.

This coach didn't have any maintenance records, so having everything done is going to be a huge expense.

Word to new owners.
Get maintenance records with coach, or have Everything Serviced prior to signing the papers.

Tags
roof