Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof Caulking

After reading numerous posts in here about roof leaks, I am inclined to take my new to me 2005 VECTRA 40AD to a professional and have it all checked out. Any reccomendations for this kind of work in the Tucson,AZ area.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You might try to find a mobile tech for that. Start by checking your area for reviews of your local RV repair shops at RVServiceReviews. I always start there first. I set up the link so you only need to scroll down to Tucson...

Good luck!

I'm a little worried too, what with those threads of the Winnie fiberglass roofs ripping off in mild wind storms. I've already used Eternabond 4" tape to cover the front and rear cap seams and I'm considering using that on all the edges too...haven't decided if it will do any good though.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thank you Jim. Ken cameron seems to be the choice around here. i have contacted him.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you plan on keeping your new to you RV you might want to consider this company. They warranty their roof repair for the life of your RV and they have dealers in AZ.

RVRoof | Home of the original sprayed RV Roof
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Use Thermoplastic Sealant

Can't help you with a dealer/installer but....

Do not use silicone. The adhesive that Winnie callout sheet (Sealant C) specifies is no longer available. The replacement is NuFlex 640 (Clear) which is a Thermoplastic Sealant. These areas are not only to be sealed but to be strengthened. That's why you need to use the right stuff.

I've attached the original PDF callout sheet.

I had to buy several tubes a few weeks ago and it's tough to find but trust me the cheapest place to find it is at rvautoparts.com, Part# 96600 and no minimum. I ordered 6 tubes of clear. They shipped 3 white & 3 clear. The tubes on the outside looked exactly same and there was no mention of the color and the numbers on the tubes were exactly the same too. The only way you could tell the difference was to turn the tubes over and look at the ends. One was white & one was clear. I called them and brought this to their attention. They sent me replacement tubes. So be sure to tell them to look at the ends and send you CLEAR.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sealant-callout-sheet.pdf (485.1 KB, 72 views)
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

After reading several posts about Winnie fiberglass roofs from the 2000's, it seems that the main trouble spots are the front/rear end cap seams, and the gutter seams. I've already sealed the front/rear end caps with 4" Eternabond and next I'm going have the gutter seams sealed with 2" Eternabond.

I just inspected my gutter seams and I see some separation there. I'll probably have to hire someone to do it for me, but it's certainly worth the expense, what with people having their roof rip off on the road. And then having seams that will never need maintenance is definitely well worth it.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much. I have contacted that group in AZ. Has anyone here had this done to their coach. If so what was the cost? I am talking about the spray on roof.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have had 3 Winnebagos and I have had to repair the gutter seams on all of them. Over about 170,000 miles I have replaced about 12 feet of caulking, at the most 20 feet. I don't like getting on the roof, but once up there is sort of easy. I just slide around on my belly. The checking takes the longest because you have to check the whole length on both sides, just to find a three foot section that needs repair.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I am posting to this older thread because I just had my roof edges taped with Eternabond and thought some of you might be interested in seeing a blog post about it. Unlike other RVs I've seen, mine did not have a goopy mess of caulking on the roof line and in the gutters...so I'm happy about that. No need to spend time scraping and rinsing with spirits to remove old caulk.

Anyway, check out the posting...

Roof Edges

Tags
roof