Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof Air/heat

In my 2012 Journey 40U Winnebago installed three rooftop air conditioners/heaters. They tunneled the heat runs from duct to duct directly into the white Styrofoam. After about two years we started getting tiny bits if aluminum foil blown out and every day we needed to get out the vaccuam
to get up all those tiny bits of foil. Now this winter we are getting small chunks of the Styrofoam all over the floor. It would seem the fans on the air conditioners are stronger than the roof is! Has anyone had this problem? If so how do I get it stopped?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a mouse set up housekeeping in your ductwork. My ductwork is the same, only it's a basement heat pump. I never get any styrofoam out of mine, but I keep mouse poison in hidden corners of the MH constantly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have had the foil issue and were told that Coleman used it to try to help dampen the sounds a little. It didn't make a difference, so they no longer use it. After awhile the foil bits will stop coming out. If you have any service done on the A/Cs, you can have them remove it. Have occasionally had a few bits of Styrofoam flutter down, but they are tiny and very rare.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I called the factory and he suggested that something was probably wrong and needed repair because of the Styrofoam. We probably vacuumed up 1/2 cup of the stuff. He said that there would be service plates that could be removed after the cover is taken off.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Invest in one of those <$100 inspection cameras and take a look into the duct work. You might be amazed at what you might find.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Invest in one of those <$100 inspection cameras and take a look into the duct work. You might be amazed at what you might find.
Renting is cheaper,unless you have a frequent need for one. Think the one I rented was $12/day. They are excellent for inspecting such places.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We got one of those cameras at Harbor Freight for about $60 using one of their coupons. We use it in the RV 5-6 times a year at least, so it was worth the expense. VERY handy to have.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, roof