Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof AC Noise

We are on our Maiden voyage with our new 2013 40u Journey.
The roof top seem to make a excessive amount of noise. Especially the front one.
Have to turn the TV up a lot to hear. Try to keep the front one off when
We are using it.
Also is there a way to hook the TV into the surround sound?
I am 67 and have about average hearing.
THANKYOU for any comments.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Most of the time I found dirt dauber nest on the outside cooling fan. It throws the fan out of balance and the vibration is noisy.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The early 2013 Journeys and Tours had to have the gasket between the AC and the roof replaced/modified to eliminate some of the AC noise. The noise is worse in the Heat pump mode.
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jreichlin, any idea how to check the gasket? with the Winnebago duct system there are no screws from below that mount the unit like standard units with plastic bezel. I ahve a '12 journey now out of warranty, but also very noisy AC unit.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

For louder sound through your surround system make sure your volume on the TV is turned up high on the TV set up mode. Speakers on your TV set up should be off sending max volume to the amp. On my Itasca there were no instructions on this & i took several days to figure it out. If you have the RCA combo amp/DVD player be advised that it is a piece of junk. Went through 2 of them before I designed a surround system myself & trashed the RCA (French) units.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Are you talking vibration noise or the rush of air thru the grille? I really don't think they make a roof unit that is actually quiet. If you take the grille off you will see that only about half is used for the intake, that's a lot of air thru a small area.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ed, on ours they pulled the AC units and used a different material for the gasket. The RVP units seem to be noisier than the Dometic units we had on our Excursion. One of the reason for more noise is a higher air flow. Try running the units on low cool.
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ed,
On our rooftop heat pump units, they were very noisy and cycled continuously (on and off, on and off). Took it back to the dealer and they told us the units had been overtightened and crushed the gasket. They removed the unit, cleaned out the construction debris (Styrofoam, metal shavings etc., you would think that with what we paid for these they would be a little more attentive at the factory) and replaced the gaskets on both units. It helped with the noise, the unit still cycles sometimes, usually when the ambient air temperature nears the inside thermostat setting, especially when we are using the heat pump.
Can't provide too much advice on the surround sound, we are still playing with ours and figuring out the 4 way source system for the tvs and stereo, we did figure out how to route the fm dash radio through the outdoor tv so we could listen while lounging outside. Good luck with your new rig, sounds sweet!
Ted & Cathy
tfcyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

JIm, Ted, Thanks guys.
I was wondering how to remove the unit and check the gasket.
There are no obvious screws that can be loosened to remove the unit.

On my old Class C with plastic vent, the mount bolts were behind the plastic grill accessed from inside the coach. With the ducted design, there are no bolts on the inside.

Ed
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
JIm, Ted, Thanks guys.
I was wondering how to remove the unit and check the gasket.
There are no obvious screws that can be loosened to remove the unit.

On my old Class C with plastic vent, the mount bolts were behind the plastic grill accessed from inside the coach. With the ducted design, there are no bolts on the inside.

Ed
The bolts are still there. They are hidden under the foil insulation.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The bolts are still there. They are hidden under the foil insulation.
no the bolts are up top(roof side) under the inside unit cover
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcyoko View Post
Ed,
On our rooftop heat pump units, they were very noisy and cycled continuously (on and off, on and off). Took it back to the dealer and they told us the units had been overtightened and crushed the gasket. They removed the unit, cleaned out the construction debris (Styrofoam, metal shavings etc., you would think that with what we paid for these they would be a little more attentive at the factory) and replaced the gaskets on both units. It helped with the noise, the unit still cycles sometimes, usually when the ambient air temperature nears the inside thermostat setting, especially when we are using the heat pump.
Can't provide too much advice on the surround sound, we are still playing with ours and figuring out the 4 way source system for the tvs and stereo, we did figure out how to route the fm dash radio through the outdoor tv so we could listen while lounging outside. Good luck with your new rig, sounds sweet!
Ted & Cathy
PLEASE share the dash radio through outdoor tv (how to do it)that sound great
Old 07-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The dometic units on our 2011 40U were much quieter than those on the 2013 QD , the dometic also cooled much better

Tags
roof