Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 87
Roof AC Noise

We are on our Maiden voyage with our new 2013 40u Journey.
The roof top seem to make a excessive amount of noise. Especially the front one.
Have to turn the TV up a lot to hear. Try to keep the front one off when
We are using it.
Also is there a way to hook the TV into the surround sound?
I am 67 and have about average hearing.
THANKYOU for any comments.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 73
Most of the time I found dirt dauber nest on the outside cooling fan. It throws the fan out of balance and the vibration is noisy.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Berwick, PA
Posts: 8
The early 2013 Journeys and Tours had to have the gasket between the AC and the roof replaced/modified to eliminate some of the AC noise. The noise is worse in the Heat pump mode.
__________________
Jim, Beryl, & BJ the Westie
2013 Journey 34B, Cummins 340, Allison 2500
2014 Jeep Cherokee
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 59
Jreichlin, any idea how to check the gasket? with the Winnebago duct system there are no screws from below that mount the unit like standard units with plastic bezel. I ahve a '12 journey now out of warranty, but also very noisy AC unit.
__________________
2012 Journey 36m
Ed
erstanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
toneumanns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
For louder sound through your surround system make sure your volume on the TV is turned up high on the TV set up mode. Speakers on your TV set up should be off sending max volume to the amp. On my Itasca there were no instructions on this & i took several days to figure it out. If you have the RCA combo amp/DVD player be advised that it is a piece of junk. Went through 2 of them before I designed a surround system myself & trashed the RCA (French) units.
__________________
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 327
Are you talking vibration noise or the rush of air thru the grille? I really don't think they make a roof unit that is actually quiet. If you take the grille off you will see that only about half is used for the intake, that's a lot of air thru a small area.
__________________
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Berwick, PA
Posts: 8
Ed, on ours they pulled the AC units and used a different material for the gasket. The RVP units seem to be noisier than the Dometic units we had on our Excursion. One of the reason for more noise is a higher air flow. Try running the units on low cool.
__________________
Jim, Beryl, & BJ the Westie
2013 Journey 34B, Cummins 340, Allison 2500
2014 Jeep Cherokee
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
tfcyoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 8
Ed,
On our rooftop heat pump units, they were very noisy and cycled continuously (on and off, on and off). Took it back to the dealer and they told us the units had been overtightened and crushed the gasket. They removed the unit, cleaned out the construction debris (Styrofoam, metal shavings etc., you would think that with what we paid for these they would be a little more attentive at the factory) and replaced the gaskets on both units. It helped with the noise, the unit still cycles sometimes, usually when the ambient air temperature nears the inside thermostat setting, especially when we are using the heat pump.
Can't provide too much advice on the surround sound, we are still playing with ours and figuring out the 4 way source system for the tvs and stereo, we did figure out how to route the fm dash radio through the outdoor tv so we could listen while lounging outside. Good luck with your new rig, sounds sweet!
Ted & Cathy
__________________
Ted & Cathy, with our Cocker Spaniels Bo & Addie
2013 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
2006 Silver Jeep Wrangler rag top following closely, very closely.
tfcyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 59
JIm, Ted, Thanks guys.
I was wondering how to remove the unit and check the gasket.
There are no obvious screws that can be loosened to remove the unit.

On my old Class C with plastic vent, the mount bolts were behind the plastic grill accessed from inside the coach. With the ducted design, there are no bolts on the inside.

Ed
__________________
2012 Journey 36m
Ed
erstanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
JIm, Ted, Thanks guys.
I was wondering how to remove the unit and check the gasket.
There are no obvious screws that can be loosened to remove the unit.

On my old Class C with plastic vent, the mount bolts were behind the plastic grill accessed from inside the coach. With the ducted design, there are no bolts on the inside.

Ed
The bolts are still there. They are hidden under the foil insulation.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The bolts are still there. They are hidden under the foil insulation.
no the bolts are up top(roof side) under the inside unit cover
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcyoko View Post
Ed,
On our rooftop heat pump units, they were very noisy and cycled continuously (on and off, on and off). Took it back to the dealer and they told us the units had been overtightened and crushed the gasket. They removed the unit, cleaned out the construction debris (Styrofoam, metal shavings etc., you would think that with what we paid for these they would be a little more attentive at the factory) and replaced the gaskets on both units. It helped with the noise, the unit still cycles sometimes, usually when the ambient air temperature nears the inside thermostat setting, especially when we are using the heat pump.
Can't provide too much advice on the surround sound, we are still playing with ours and figuring out the 4 way source system for the tvs and stereo, we did figure out how to route the fm dash radio through the outdoor tv so we could listen while lounging outside. Good luck with your new rig, sounds sweet!
Ted & Cathy
PLEASE share the dash radio through outdoor tv (how to do it)that sound great
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
The dometic units on our 2011 40U were much quieter than those on the 2013 QD , the dometic also cooled much better
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roof


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rattle noise on roof of 27b = jack tv LVRVLUVR General Maintenance and Repair 6 01-26-2015 02:03 PM
2014 Journey roof top A/C noise Jim Bob Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 35 07-22-2014 10:13 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×