Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof A/C 2014 Solei 34T

The front roof air on my 34T Solei will not cool the front of my coach on a hot day, with the coach in the sun. I have spoke with the factory about this and the excessive noise that it makes. They told me they had complaints about the noise, but not about the cooling. I had it checked at Camping World and they said it was within specs, dropping the cooled air 20 degrees below ambient temperature. That is about 10 degrees higher than the air out of the rear unit. Is anyone else having a problem cooling their 34 Solei or Forza in hot sunny conditions? Running both A/C units helps, but that is not always possible when plugged into 15,20 or 30 amp circuits.

I have an appointment at the factory at the end of September. Unfortunately I will not be back in the coach until then. I would like to determine if I have an engineering or an installation problem with the A/C. I have tripped the circuit breaker on the front A/C unit a couple of times. I was not in the coach at the time, so I don't know the circumstances that caused the breaker to trip. I checked the return air and duct taped the panels separating it from the chilled air. That seemed to help some. It also seemed to dampen the noise, but that might just be wishful thinking. I do think the front unit has a problem and will have to be repaired or replaced. I want to make sure that will solve my problem as I will not have much of an opportunity to test it in October when we are running the coach and my warranty expires in February.

This is my first Coleman A/C unit. Are they that much noisier than the Duo-Therms? It is difficult to carry on a conversation with the A/C running.

Any feedback from other Solei or Forza owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
mikekohut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dropping the cooled air 20 degrees below ambient temperature is good for any AC.
And a normal drop.

The 34T only has 2 13.5K AC's and in the 3' longer 38R they put 2 15K AC. A big difference for 3'. May be the reason the 34T is less $$$.
They should have put at least a 15K AC in the front of the 34T.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately these are the types of issues we run into when we buy an RV unit we have had no live feed back on. If possible, like the other contributor mentioned I would have the front A/C replaced with the 15K unit. Also one step more, I would replace it with a heat pump A/C Combo. I know this is not the news you want to hear after purchasing a brand new RV. But there will be issues and features that you will and will not be satisfied with in any new or used RV. Experience is the best teacher as we move up or down the line with our toys. I'm sure there are some others here that can suggest A/C units that are quieter than what you have now and that you would be more pleased with. Having this new unit, you should be able to get some help from the manufacturer in resolving the main issues first, before you start in on your ideas for any modifications to fit your needs. Keep notes, and good luck...
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

New RV's

I guess this proves the old adage not to buy any model until it has been on the market for a year and the bugs have been worked out. I do have an appointment in September at the factory to deal with this and some other minor issues. I would like to hear from other Solei or Forza owners to see if they are also having cooling issues. If they are, then that would be an engineering issues, as too light of roof units. If they are not and mine is the only one that does not cool properly, then it would be a malfunctioning roof unit or bad installation. Unfortunately, I have not heard from any other Solei or Forza 34T owners.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try these links:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winnebago-forza-202046-new-post.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/any-...ml#post2122261

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Nick. It appears that only one owner commented on the A/C not cooling and that was when it was 107 and struggling to get the coach in the low 70's. We have problems with it being 90 and getting down to the low 80's. It sounds like our problem is with that A/C unit or the installation and should be fixable.

We do love the way the coach drives and rides and hope to get a lot of use out of it.
All of our other problems have been relatively minor.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We just finished our factory service and the A/C unit was defective. Winnebago replaced it with a new one, which appears to be working fine at least on heat. It has not been warm enough to try the air. We are on our way to Texas, then Florida, so we should get a chance to try it out. As an added benefit the new one is much quieter than the old one. Can't say enough good about the service we received at the factory.

Tags
roof