Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hey Gang, over in beautiful Luray Va. Its raining and still pretty with the fields all green and the mist on the mountains.

On the way over a bolt broke on the Rock Guard and it must have dragged a while because the left edge is ground down about 3" on a angle. Glad it wasn't any worse. It could have been a disaster. Removed the remaining eye bolt and stowed the Guard in a compartment till I get home. I have mud flaps on the coach and a nose bonnet on the Saturn so I think I will be ok with the rock situation.

My question to you all is "What do you think the chances of them replacing the guard under warranty is?"

I can live with the damage if I have too , yet I like everything ship shape, but if I have to pay I think it will stay the way it is. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hey Gang, over in beautiful Luray Va. Its raining and still pretty with the fields all green and the mist on the mountains.

On the way over a bolt broke on the Rock Guard and it must have dragged a while because the left edge is ground down about 3" on a angle. Glad it wasn't any worse. It could have been a disaster. Removed the remaining eye bolt and stowed the Guard in a compartment till I get home. I have mud flaps on the coach and a nose bonnet on the Saturn so I think I will be ok with the rock situation.

My question to you all is "What do you think the chances of them replacing the guard under warranty is?"

I can live with the damage if I have too , yet I like everything ship shape, but if I have to pay I think it will stay the way it is. Good Miles
Old 04-30-2005, 03:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hey Jimmy, how ya been? You have a good dealer that works with you, and have had pretty good luck getting things covered under warranty on your coach, so give it a try. If it doesn't fly, you could always grind down the other side to match. At least it would be symetrical
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim,

Are you talking about the full-width flap that is behind the rear wheels? If it is a Winnebago warranty item, my guess would be no since you are a couple of years out of warranty, but that is just a guess.

SOunds beautiful where you are - I'm envious!

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The rock guard coming apart is probably a maintenance issue rather than a warranty issue. Sometimes to offer to pay for the rock guard if your dealer will install it might surprise with the outcome. I imagine the issue is really does the dealer want to spend his money on your vehicle rather than you spend your money. Is this what warranties are intended to cover.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

OK, something else to check while I'm under the beast with grit falling in my face....I did notice the angles used to attached the rock guard are steel and very rusty...maybe time to replace them with alum. angle.

Talk about beautiful....on the lake this AM, calm, mist on the mountains, striped bass jerking on my lines.....life is good!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you are talking about the full length guard that came as factory equiped, it has a problem. the 2 holes through the rock guard eventually pull through thr rubber and the guard falls. A number of people have had the same acident. Winnie replaced mine and it now comes with 2 metal plates to reinforce the hole.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My coach is under warranty till mid June. Should the Rock Guard be covered? That's what i'm asking.
Need to check and see if the eye bolt actually broke or did it pull through. WHY? I dunno but it did. I have a bolt company near me and i'm gonna check and see if they have stainless steel or a much stronger metal eye bolt if that be the case.
I could just show one side of the coach at a time, don't let anyone stand directly behind it but Capt. Bill and Smlranger have the best ideas. Grind the other end down and go fishing. Croaker are biting and Flounder is getting better all the time. Good Miles
Old 04-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On my '04 Meridian the angle iron the rock guard is hung from sliced into the holes when I dumped the air. Winnebago replaced two rock guards under warrenty. I could see it was going to keep happening so I made my own brackets. No more problem.
JoeFischer
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If your coach is still under warranty bring everything back to the dealer and say "fix it"!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The same thing happened to me last year (in the middle of the Mohave Desert). I left the guard besdie the road (no place to store it). Winnebago did replace it at the factory (no charge). You may have different results at the dealer. It is a good idea to check the eyebolts pretty often. Many times when you release the air the guard gets jammed. I have gotten in the habit of holding the guard at an angle and having my wife release the air.
Good Luck.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote