Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Rippling roof

Howdy all,

New to being the owner of a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 27N. Looked long and hard and like the model we purchased. Even did the tour..... Love it

But now having put on about 6K of road on it with the 2K when we got it, I have a dilemma with the roof.

After the Christmas week as I was preparing to store my rig, I noticed a ripple on the roof. It travels from the drivers side to the air conditioner and a little bump on the other side. I had some aerial photos from the week before and it wasn't there. I took some more photo's and sent them to the OR people at the Winnebago place in Iowa and they took notice. I reside in California so it's not a easy trip to return for a fix or repair. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what people suggest. I think it's one of the cross members that is pushing up on the fiberglass roof. There is no cracking or splits as of now but I can just see water getting under the roof and all sorts of problems arising. Any help would be appreciated... We love to hit the road and visit places of this great country and meet all sorts of fine people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150105_122100.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	84000   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150105_121926.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	84002  

Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quarz View Post
Howdy all,

New to being the owner of a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 27N. Looked long and hard and like the model we purchased. Even did the tour..... Love it

But now having put on about 6K of road on it with the 2K when we got it, I have a dilemma with the roof.

After the Christmas week as I was preparing to store my rig, I noticed a ripple on the roof. It travels from the drivers side to the air conditioner and a little bump on the other side. I had some aerial photos from the week before and it wasn't there. I took some more photo's and sent them to the OR people at the Winnebago place in Iowa and they took notice. I reside in California so it's not a easy trip to return for a fix or repair. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what people suggest. I think it's one of the cross members that is pushing up on the fiberglass roof. There is no cracking or splits as of now but I can just see water getting under the roof and all sorts of problems arising. Any help would be appreciated... We love to hit the road and visit places of this great country and meet all sorts of fine people.
Ouch! That is a problem. I would guess that Winnebago factory will set up something with one of their dealers close to you to have it taken care of. That should not happen and they'll want it fixed and they will want to know how it happened so that they can prevent other occurrences.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have Winnebago (or a Winnebago rep in your area) look at it. A dealer will tell you that you need it repaired or even a new roof! Winnebago will explain what it is and if you really need anything done.

You are not the only one to see this and if it isn't leaking, some would argue why have a repair done that would just look like you had a repair done.

Get it documented under warranty. Winnebagos have a 10 year roof skin warranty, but only for the original owner.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There is a "half ripple" that appears across one side of my roof when in warmer weather. The hotter the outside temperature, the more pronounced the ripple. It's been that way as long as I can remember (we are the second owners). Other than being careful not to step on it, the ripple has been no problem. \ken

PS. Just took a closer look at your pictures. Your "ripple" looks like more of a crease to me. My "ripple" is more like a stretched-out bubble, approx 1.5" wide and 48" long. May not be the same thing that you have going on.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On our unit is can see where the roof braces are in several locations. There is the slightest rise where they cross the roof. Seems to be just the way it is. The wood under the fiberglass is just barely enough to support a persons weight walking on it. The more it's walked on the more the deformity will probably show.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have read that a ripple in the roof is a normal condition. Can't say it would feel normal to me! However, making Winnebago aware of it and getting it into the records about your MH was wise. It has been my experience that the people at Winnebago will back their product as long as it falls into the warranty period.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the same thing on my coach. I was told by the factory email (sent pictures) that if it is not cracked it is ok. I try not to step on these ripples to avoid damage.

I don't know if this is related. DW spotted water in one of the ceiling lights. When I pulled the light out of the ceiling I fund the insulating foam was missing in a small area. The bottom of the roof was exposed. Condensation was forming and dripping on the light. I pulled all of the lights and found this in several places. I used expanding foam in a can to fill the voids. In one area (I think under the ripple) I could see white, the roof fiberglass, in a open seam.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone for experiences and advice. I've since taken more photos, further documentation, and made appointment with local dealer ship. Can't get it to the shop until early March. I'll be keeping you all updated after then. Thanks again all.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quarz View Post
Thanks everyone for experiences and advice. I've since taken more photos, further documentation, and made appointment with local dealer ship. Can't get it to the shop until early March. I'll be keeping you all updated after then. Thanks again all.
Thanks. Please do keep us up on what you find out. Will a factory rep travel to see a problem like yours? It might be worth a trip to FC in the spring.

Personally? I feel that the frame has settled some and that the new design of the roof to accommodate the roof A/C is not built to move. Thus the problem. Where ever there is a seam there is a flex point. If the structure settles in the middle it has to show up someplace. In our case the roof by design.

Rick Y

Tags
roof