Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Retraction Springs for Jacks

2004 Journey 39W

Jacks are acting inconsistently. One does not retract on its own, but if I pry up on it and manually push it up, it retracts easily.

Are the springs the only force involved in jack retraction? Does this symptom indicate that my jack springs need replacement? If so, is that process a DIY project?

Thank you,
Ron
Old 05-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
2004 Journey 39W

Jacks are acting inconsistently. One does not retract on its own, but if I pry up on it and manually push it up, it retracts easily.

Are the springs the only force involved in jack retraction? Does this symptom indicate that my jack springs need replacement? If so, is that process a DIY project?

Thank you,
Ron

Ron,
Slow retracting jacks have been discussed a few zillion times on here. There's a possible few remedies for that issue.

1. Extend all jacks to about maximum
2. Spray them down with WD-40
3. Wipe them clean with a good, clean cloth

Now, hit the retract button and, see if there's any improvement in retract time.

Another possible issue is, you may have the older style springs. The characteristic of those is, they're the same shape, cylindrical, all the way from the top and bottom.

The new style, and supposedly stronger, are the kind that are tapered at th top and bottom. If you have those then, you may, possibly have to go to remedy three.

And that is, the jacks will have to be removed and either sent back to HWH for a complete retro-new seal kit replacement or, you can take them to a local hydraulic shop and see what they can do for you. Hope this info helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
2004 Journey 39W
First:The springs are the only thing pulling the jacks up yes

HOWEVER Friction is working against them.

It MAY (or not) indicate need for spring replacement and is it a DIY job depends on the Y (you) I could do it mself, either HWH or Power gear types.

IT may also indicate a need to lubricate and this IS a DIY job.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

A couple more suggestion to the others offered here. Check to see if there are grease fittings at the bottom of the jack legs. My stabilizer jacks are PowerGear a each leg has one Zerk fitting. Powergear recommends a small amount should be pumped in once a year or so. Also Powergear recommends silicone spray for the shinny part of the legs.

Let us know how everything works out, OK?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
2004 Journey 39W

Thank you,
Ron
Hi Ron,

You didn't say what brand jacks you have. If HWH than be careful how you clean them. WD40 was not recommended on the earlier ones because of the type of seals used. I clean and lube mine with CRC Power lube with PTFE (http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industrial...3&keywords=crc). Spray your jacks down and then wipe them with a soft cloth. Repeat if necessary. You can also clean them with a mild soap and water. Don't use any sort of silicone spray or lube on them. Check the HWH website for more info.

Keep us posted on what you find. Thaks.

Rick Y
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

A good source for info and parts is rvleveling.com, aka Stuarts Services in IN. He knows HWH systems, can diagnose and sell parts, AND he will actually answer the phone, or get back to you via email.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
A good source for info and parts is rvleveling.com, aka Stuarts Services in IN. He knows HWH systems, can diagnose and sell parts, AND he will actually answer the phone, or get back to you via email.
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Someplace recently it was discussed that there is an amazing about of gunk that gets caught up between the piston and the main tube. I wouldn't have believed that there could be enough to stop that retraction but a friend of mine CAREFULLY cleaned out the space and he said it made all the difference. Just don't forget there's a seal in there so be careful digging around.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

leveling jacks

The jacks not retracting will only get worst. New springs are not the answer. Jacks need rebuilt or replaced. Sorry for the bad news. Just had 2 replaced on rear at HWH factory in Moscow, Iowa. Great folks to deal with. If there is a next time I will take jack off and exchange it for a rebuilt unit. I have a 2002 Adventurer good part about this story is I only live 51 miles from HWH factory. P.S. a guy can replace each jack in 1/2 hour easy job.
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
The jacks not retracting will only get worst. New springs are not the answer. Jacks need rebuilt or replaced. Sorry for the bad news. Just had 2 replaced on rear at HWH factory in Moscow, Iowa. Great folks to deal with. If there is a next time I will take jack off and exchange it for a rebuilt unit. I have a 2002 Adventurer good part about this story is I only live 51 miles from HWH factory. P.S. a guy can replace each jack in 1/2 hour easy job.
I respectfully disagree with you here about the jacks continuing to get worse. The jacks need to be cleaned as per the HWH recommendations. That is the first place to start. On older jacks the seals could be damaged by WD-40 but now they recommend it be used to clean the jacks. If a good cleaning gets the jacks working again then the new style springs won't hurt.

I do agree that the folks at HWH are worth visiting when all else fails. But, parts are still a problem. I am waiting for a new solenoid. They are 3 weeks out on back order.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My rear HWH jacks were painfully slow in retracting. Sometimes it would take 15-20 minutes. I had all springs replaced on the rear jacks and they retract very quickly. OBTW, I did the cleaning constantly why they were extended, but would only help for a short period of time.
When I was at Alliance Coach having the Ultra Power upgrade done, the mechanic pulled on the springs and told me there was to much give in them and they should be replaced. That solved it.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
As someone who worked on HWH jacks for 15 years, I disagree with you. More than half the time we were able to fix HWH jacks rather than replace them.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The original poster rogo88 never did state what brand jacks/stabilizers he had in his 2004 Journey 39W. I don't even know if his are internal springs or external springs. But from his description of how they act, my first and cheapest course of action is clean and lubricate the pistons as per what ever manufacture recommendations are.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

leveling jacks slow to retract.

Rick Y My left rear jack was only 3 years old. It took a 3 ton floor jack to get it to retract. Tech said that springs would not help as they had proper tension. I hope that works for you using WD40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I respectfully disagree with you here about the jacks continuing to get worse. The jacks need to be cleaned as per the HWH recommendations. That is the first place to start. On older jacks the seals could be damaged by WD-40 but now they recommend it be used to clean the jacks. If a good cleaning gets the jacks working again then the new style springs won't hurt.

I do agree that the folks at HWH are worth visiting when all else fails. But, parts are still a problem. I am waiting for a new solenoid. They are 3 weeks out on back order.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

As long as the tubes do not have dirt on them simply brush them with transmission fluid every few weeks.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
The original poster rogo88 never did state what brand jacks/stabilizers he had in his 2004 Journey 39W. I don't even know if his are internal springs or external springs. But from his description of how they act, my first and cheapest course of action is clean and lubricate the pistons as per what ever manufacture recommendations are.
Good and valid point. By the way, where is the OP??

Tags
jacks