Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Retracting slide and rain water

I have a 2013 vista 35b with 3 slides. The large living room slide holds water on top of it when it rains. when I retract it then drive, all the water leaks inside the coach. This doesn't seem to happen with the other 2 slides and it never happened with my 2 previous winnebago mothohomes. The only way I can figure how to combat this would be to climb up on a ladder and blow the water out with a leaf blower before we retract the slide. Any other experiences like this? Thanks. Steve
shortboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I remember breaking camp one morning after a heavy rain and getting the shock of my life when, the first time I applied the brake, about a gallon of ice cold water poured from the slide top right on top of my head in the driver's seat.

The easiest way to get rid of the water is to retract the jacks on that side of the coach first and maybe lower the rear jacks before the front ones so that gravity does the work for you and drains the water off before the slide is retracted.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Egg-xactly what I've dome in our fifth wheels - tilt and go :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I usually just retracted the slide and the water ran off but last summer I must have been perfectly level cause the water remained in the middle of the topper and when i retracted, not only did i get water in the MH but the topper did not roll up and came in with the slide....was tough getting the slide back out without damaging the topper....now I either tip the MH or use a broom handle to push up on the topper...
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Use gravity. Tilt using the gear and, if need be, use a broom topside before retracting the slide. I've made it a point to use one of the doggie towels on top to make sure there's no puddled water. The only time I've had an issue is when the slide is retracted before hooking up to the truck.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. I think I will make a habit of using the jacks to drain the water off 1st from now on. I did get a cold shower driving down my steep driveway today that I'd prefer not to repeat. Seems like the slides should have a little pitch on them that would automatically take care of this.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Are you saying that the water is on the inside of the coach and got you wet as you were driving? That never happened to me. The water does come into the coach if I leave the windows open. Only happened once, now we make sure the windows are closed before deploying the slide.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes. Probably a gallon of cold water inside the coach. Most of it on me.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Does the slide topper on that slide sag a lot? It is possible to adjust them.

Some coach makers strongly advise to level before extending slides and retract slides before raising the jacks. Some seem to be just the other way. You should probably check before you start jacking to remove the standing water.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When I suspect wind has blown rain under the topper, I do the tip thing, and the after the slide is in I put a rolled towel across the front end on top of the slide with a "reminder" hanging on the slide switch so I don't forget to retrieve the towel before extending the slide again.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

It sounds like the slide is misadjusted so that the squeegee on the top side is not making contact and wiping the water off as the slide is retracted.

That happened to me once after an incompetent dealer screwed up the slide adjustment trying to stop a leak. The factory adjusted it properly and it hasn't happened since. I don't have to take any special precautions regarding leveling.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Slide and/or topper are out of adjustment. Some coaches don't come with toppers and still do not have this problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I will look at adjusting it. Thanks for suggestions.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My slide toppers have slack in them and they will hold water. I just take them in a foot or so , stop and repeat. It seems to work. I think the toppers tighten enough to throw off the water.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, slide