Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Retractable rear bed

2010 Tour 42AD. The bed in the rear of our couch is retractable and must be in the retracted position before the slide out can be retracted. My problem is that there are times when the bed will not retract and I have to reach under and hold the plunger valve while my wife either extends or retracts the slide out. I called Winnebago and asked them if there were any established procedures for retracting the bed if the motor fails; they told me there are no procedures!! My point is that I could get stuck in an rv spot because I couldn't get my bed to retract so I could retract the slide out. Is it just me or is this an engineering nightmare?? I'm thinking of buying a spare motor just to avoid several dollars in service calls and parts IF this motor failed. Please give me your opinion and/or comments.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Will anything get damaged if the bed wasn't retracted while you retract the slide out? Asking because you can probably bypass whatever switch is preventing the slide out from being retracted.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
2010 Tour 42AD. The bed in the rear of our couch is retractable and must be in the retracted position before the slide out can be retracted. My problem is that there are times when the bed will not retract and I have to reach under and hold the plunger valve while my wife either extends or retracts the slide out. I called Winnebago and asked them if there were any established procedures for retracting the bed if the motor fails; they told me there are no procedures!! My point is that I could get stuck in an rv spot because I couldn't get my bed to retract so I could retract the slide out. Is it just me or is this an engineering nightmare?? I'm thinking of buying a spare motor just to avoid several dollars in service calls and parts IF this motor failed. Please give me your opinion and/or comments.
Hi JBroadway
Winnebago told you that their are no bed retract procedures. However there are ways to do it. I would call LCI and speak with tech support. They will tell you how to manually move the bed and help you troubleshoot the original problem.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Sorry but who is LCI? Phone No.? Would it be possible to post the procedure or provide a link? Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Sorry but who is LCI? Phone No.? Would it be possible to post the procedure or provide a link? Thanks
Lippert Components Inc
2703 County Road 36, Goshen, IN 46528
(574) 971-4100
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Lippert Components Inc
(574) 971-4100

Jesse
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Funny that this was just brought up. The mh that was staying next to me, a 2014 Tour had his bed fail in the retracted or head up position. According to Winnie tech support there is no procedure for manually retracting or lowering the bed. He is waiting for a gear and motor.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

You cannot put the slide in UNLESS the bed is deflated and will fold up.
You will do major damage to the slide.

This was a major concern with me when looking at the Tour.
They put an extra bathroom in because you had no access to the
bathroom with the slide in.

Engineers at work.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post

Lippert Components Inc
(574) 971-4100
I would call Winnebago Customer Support with my serial number and ask them to give you the manufacture and model number of your power lift bed system. Then ask them for a current tech support telephone number of that company. The manufacture of you power lift bed system can help you troubleshoot the problem better than Winnebago. I do not believe it is a motor or a gear. I believe it is a simple limit switch, switch, or a controller that needs to be reset. More times than not the tech will walk you through troubleshooting the problem. You are a Winnebago customer and because of that the manufacturer of your Power LIft system wants you happy.
Jesse
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I had one of my plunger switches go out, dealer replace it and soon the other plunger went out/ broke. Bypassed that switch and then found out the wires were not routed properly by Winnie and the wires got pinched by the track and bed was stuck again. Took about an hour of horror and I got the wire unstuck and routed them correctly. Now I have have both plungers bypassed and seems fine. Just double check to make sure the bed is all the way up prior to closing the slide. 2013 ellipse QD.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
I had one of my plunger switches go out, dealer replace it and soon the other plunger went out/ broke. Bypassed that switch and then found out the wires were not routed properly by Winnie and the wires got pinched by the track and bed was stuck again. Took about an hour of horror and I got the wire unstuck and routed them correctly. Now I have have both plungers bypassed and seems fine. Just double check to make sure the bed is all the way up prior to closing the slide. 2013 ellipse QD.
Thanks smack2020
Good info.
Hesse