Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I know there have been a lot of posts on this subject, and I've read everyone that I can find. But, I still can't get any idea of how to figure out how long the two cords should be when starting the restringing, and it looks like I need to get this right. My blind is about 40" wide.

The second question is whether any owners of Winnebagos have figured out which blind manufacturer makes the blinds in newer models. I love the idea that maybe the manufacturer will restring it for me.

Answers to these two burning questions are greatly appreciated.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know there have been a lot of posts on this subject, and I've read everyone that I can find. But, I still can't get any idea of how to figure out how long the two cords should be when starting the restringing, and it looks like I need to get this right. My blind is about 40" wide.

The second question is whether any owners of Winnebagos have figured out which blind manufacturer makes the blinds in newer models. I love the idea that maybe the manufacturer will restring it for me.

Answers to these two burning questions are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Try this link in the RV Tech Library for restringing information:
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/interior/shades.htm
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Cruzer the link you provided is great! Lots of useful information.

Janjanjan I have restrung many shades for myself and friends. I always use the old cord to figure the length and add a foot or so to be safe.

I find that the biggest point of failure is the little eyelets are installed backwards and allow the string to rub against rough holes. I re-install them and remove any rough edges on the holes.

If you do a search (I think you may have already) there are many good hints and ideas posted on this topic. I buy replacement string at Walmart, see their fabric department. I take a piece of the old string to match up.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As I recall, and fortunatly it was a while ago, when the shade is removed and laying on the table there is written on the top metal of the shade the length of the string needed to install it correctly. At least I think that is where the length shows. Hope this helps.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the help. The shade itself doesn't have the length of cord required, although it does have the overall window size. One of the strings is already gone, but the other may be intact, so I'll use that one. I had the link provided which shows how, but neglects to give a formula to figure the length.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The length of each string needed will be 8 to 9 feet long. If you search my signature, I posted a while back some notes on the restring proceedure that included the string length.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You might give this site a try. I use it to repair my blinds in the house and it works great. To have the manufacturer make the repairs is a little pricey. http://www.fixmyblinds.com/
Richard and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I might mention that the last blind that I repaired took 42 ft of string. Two strings that were 20 ft and change long.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all who replied.

I remained frustrated, and my DH came and looked at the problem. He suggested using the needle with fully doubled cord and starting from the bottom vs starting from the top. So, we tried it. When we got the needle out of the top grommet and pulled it to the spring, we simply cut the needle off, tied the line, and hooked it into the spring.

Turns out to be extremely easy to string the shade that way. We need to actually hang it back up and tie off the open ends that come out the bottom side holes, but that looks very doable as well.