Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone else experienced a operation problem with the electric motor operation the "Rest Easy" Lounge in the Winnebago RV. We have now had 2 problem. First one, now fixed, the electic motor burned out FIRST time we tried to recline the lounge. Filled the RV with a burned electic smell, nice for a NEW RV! Took 2 weeks to order a replacement motor and install it.
Now the newest problem the lounge goes down but NOT back up. Motor fails to move the lounge back to up right position. Winnebago's "operations manual" has NO information for restoreing the lounge back to the upright position with motor failure. Electric fuse to lounge is OK, not blown, as the lounge goes down and does NOT go up.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone else experienced a operation problem with the electric motor operation the "Rest Easy" Lounge in the Winnebago RV. We have now had 2 problem. First one, now fixed, the electic motor burned out FIRST time we tried to recline the lounge. Filled the RV with a burned electic smell, nice for a NEW RV! Took 2 weeks to order a replacement motor and install it.
Now the newest problem the lounge goes down but NOT back up. Motor fails to move the lounge back to up right position. Winnebago's "operations manual" has NO information for restoreing the lounge back to the upright position with motor failure. Electric fuse to lounge is OK, not blown, as the lounge goes down and does NOT go up.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve,

Look for a loose wire on the armrest switch. The power has to be getting to that point or it wouldn't go down. There must be something loose at the switch or at the motor connection.

Mine wouldn't go either way - found I didn't have 12v at the switch. Found the 12v power wire pulled out of a wiring plug behind the couch.

Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago says if the lounge is laid out flat then "help" it get started back up by pressing the button and pulling on the back alittle.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:43 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have been helping ours up for 2 years the same way. When I bring it to the dealer it works good for a short while then needs help a few weeks later. I am sure the manufacturer wanted everyone to know that its not completely automatic it works on electric and manpower. Winnebago doesn't tell you that when they advertise.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Wow, wire idea was great, but.....the switchs and wires are modular. Fixed in with clips. All wires, plugs and clips are in place and not loose. Traced back to motor all wires appear to be fine. Motor goes down not up. Folks say it needs help by pushing the back up while working the motor. That does not work either. Couch is stuck. Anyother idea. Thanks..........
Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Steve,

Does it have only one motor for up and down? If so, then it is probably a DC motor and they just reverse the polarity to change the direction of shaft rotation.

You really need to get a meter (VOM or digital multimeter) and probe the motor leads. (Be sure the thing is 12V DC and NOT 120V AC before you start messing around with the electrics)

With a probe in each wire to the motor (assuming it has two wires), operate the switch each way. What do you see?

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You've got some good suggestions so far. John is correct that the motor is DC. My first thought is that the switch (or connection) are defective. If you've removed the two screws and pulled the switch out from the sofa arm, I'd suggest checking the rest of the wiring.

I just reinstalled our Rest Easy a couple weeks ago after having it re-upholstered. The wiring harness coming from the left arm with the switch goes to a connector on another harness that connects to the motor. Try separateing that white connecter and reseating it. Could be the connector isn't fully seated.

I'll warn you, you'll have to slide under the sofa to reach the motor harness
Old 05-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You might also look for a limit switch. I'm guessing that there is a limit switch that stops the motor when the sofa is fully down. There is another switch that stops the motor when it is up. If that switch is stuck open, then the motor will not operate. The simple way to see if the motor is OK is to apply 12VDC directly to the motor - even if it means cutting the wiring near the motor. - not at the motor, because you'll need some lead length to resplice the wires.

By the way, we use our Rest Easy almost every night that we're out, and we've never had a problem or "helped" the sofa up yet. We've had our Brave for 2 years.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Well thanks for all the great suggestions and help, but the couch still does not work. Took the switch out and reset it, no luck. I do not have a tester so that is out, for now. I am on the road and afraid to move the couch out any more than it all ready is out (about 8 inches) as it will still not go up and it could block the isle in the full out position with the slide out set in the highway position. So I guess I wait to complete the fix when I get home and get the unit over to the dealer for warrenty work. AGAIN. It is good to hear others not had this recurring problem so maybe SOMEHOW mine will get fixed for good. HOPEFULLY.

Thanks....And happy trails
Old 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ours had a pin pushed back in the main connector, behind the couch, just enought to not make contact sometimes. I found it by moving the connectors while my wife held the switch down.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ours had a pin pushed back in the main connector, behind the couch, just enought to not make contact sometimes. I found it by moving the connectors while my wife held the switch down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now we're talkin' !!! Good tip Grant!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Why not call Winnie (the number is in your manuals case) and explain the problem for their suggestions and/or they can arrange a nearby dealer to find the problem.