Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing vinyl decals

Has anyone ever attempted replacing the decals on their coach? My coach graphics are all decals, not paint. Some of them are a little sun beat and faded and I'd like to replace them. My wife has a vinyl cutter and I was thinking of attempting to replace them myself. Wondering if anyone has ever attempted this job and how it turned out. Post pictures if you have them. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
RC Flyer

3M makes a spray removal especially for removing decals, lettering etc etc. I bought it from NAPA. Its around $15.00 a can but it works very well. They also have small packages of plastic scrappers that will not mar the paint to help remove the decals. Spray the remover on, let it soak for just a few seconds & then scrap the decal off. It takes very little effort to remove the tape or the decals. I used it to remove LOTS of lettering off of a 6X12X6 enclosed trailer I bought that was solid white. It took me a few days to remove everything but it took all the lettering off & never bothered the paint at all. Its called 3M decal & graphics remover. Its a lot like acetone but will not destroy the finished paint at all. It worked great for me. Hope this helps.
D4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

D4000’s advice is sound.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How I removed the old decals

I have an old wallpaper scraper I used to remove my decals that were real bad.

I slid the scraper blade under the curled decal and rotated it up and down while pulling on the decal. The ones that were real loose came off very easily. I was surprised.

I am working on the decals now. The edges that have curled are being removed with the scraper. I will clean all wax off them and clean them with Goo-B-Gone to remove old decal adhesive.

I did this on the bottom of my door that was a decal rather than paint. I did not gouge the paint but I was very careful! You can use a plastic scraper and a blow dryer to loosen the decals I have been told.

The plan is to paint the decals. Once clean, I will sand them a bit. Tape them off out to the Ghost marks and then spray paint them with Krylon Plastic paint. The paint for the door I had to match and went to Napa to do that. I took in some of the decal I had removed and they matched it well. I hope to paint the door on Sunday.

The article I saw where a guy did this, he said the plastic paint fills in the cracks and contracts and expands with temps. This guy had done his 5 years prior and said they were still good. Pictures looked good also.

I should be ready to paint next week some time.

Here are pictures of the door bottom where I removed the decals with my scraper. Just take your time.

Lynne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH door scratched.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	169743   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH door cleaned up.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	169744  

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Former Winnebago Owner

I had a 2002 Horizon that had some badly faded and cracked graphics on the sun facing side. In 2014 I was able to find the original graphics at Mobility RV & Lichtsinn RV. I removed the old graphics using a pin stripe removal tool mounted on a pneumatic die grinder. The pin stripe removal tool is like an old fashioned yellow pencil eraser that is round and has a shaft. Made quick work of the old crumbling vinyl graphics. With the old graphics removed there was a noticeable color difference in the gel coat which made positioning the new graphics easier. Applying a vinyl graphic as big as these are is most certainly an art - mine turned out okay, but there were a few bubbles and small wrinkles that I could see. Looked great from a distance :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old teardrop graphic 02.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	169766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old teardrop graphic removed 01.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	169767  

Name:	New teardrop graphic installed 03.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	169768  
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
2004 Minnie 29B

The rear decals and pin striping on my 2004 Minnie, were starting to peal and crack apart. I had Sonrise RV in Escondido CA replace all of the rear ones. Some of the decals were no longer available. They custom made new decals to match. Came out pretty good. Also had the RV detailed after which it looked like brand new.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On mine I had some that were just faded painted over. Sounds scary I know but it's held up for years now. Others I had removed and repainted in the same location. Turned out fairly well and now I won't have to worry about them anymore (i hope!) I also added some modern Journey emblems $$$.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0664.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	169770  
Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
On mine I had some that were just faded painted over. Sounds scary I know but it's held up for years now. Others I had removed and repainted in the same location. Turned out fairly well and now I won't have to worry about them anymore (i hope!) I also added some modern Journey emblems $$$.
Looks really nice.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
I had a 2002 Horizon that had some badly faded and cracked graphics on the sun facing side. In 2014 I was able to find the original graphics at Mobility RV & Lichtsinn RV. I removed the old graphics using a pin stripe removal tool mounted on a pneumatic die grinder. The pin stripe removal tool is like an old fashioned yellow pencil eraser that is round and has a shaft. Made quick work of the old crumbling vinyl graphics. With the old graphics removed there was a noticeable color difference in the gel coat which made positioning the new graphics easier. Applying a vinyl graphic as big as these are is most certainly an art - mine turned out okay, but there were a few bubbles and small wrinkles that I could see. Looked great from a distance :-)
Yours looks good to me. How much did they charge you for the graphics? Was thinking of making them myself. We have a vinyl cutter machine.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2007 Montana Fifth Wheel and we replaced all the decals. We used a heat gun to remove the old ones. Because the originals were peeling, it looked old and worn out. After we replaced all the decals, it looked brand new again. Before we did it we called Camping World. They said they charged $129 an hour and it averaged $100 a decal. We had 3 mountain scenes with each scene having 9 decals. That was $2700 for the 3 mtn scenes. We figured if we hired it done it would easily cost us $5K. It cost us around a grand. We had the decals from the previous owner, so we paid a gentlemen some money because he allowed us to use his garage in the winter and one of my husbands employees helped put the new decals back on and we paid him. We could not have been happier with the way it turned out.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Yours looks good to me. How much did they charge you for the graphics? Was thinking of making them myself. We have a vinyl cutter machine.
I say go for it. Try a couple and see how it works out. What have you got to lose?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Reado

Does anyone know where to buy replacement decals for a Winne Adventurer 2003 Model
reado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
2004 Minnie 29B

I was unable to find the decals (Minnie logo and slash at rear) for my Minnie 2004. Sonrise RV in Escondido was able to have them recreated. Came out really good. Was under $200 including installation.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reado View Post
Does anyone know where to buy replacement decals for a Winne Adventurer 2003 Model
I ordered the complete set from WINNEBAGOPARTS.COM. They had new/old stock, and I got the entire package for half price. $350.00

2003 adventure (Blue)
AFlugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

You can also go to a Truck / Car decal shop and they can trace over the old ones if you can't find new ones.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #16
Itasca owner

I had an '02 Adventurer and replaced several factory decals and striping with oem decals from Winnebago Parts/Mobility RV as mentioned above. They were not very expensive and had exactly the right ones. Removal was with a heat gun and plastic single edge razor blades.