Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Must be nice to have access that large! Here is the two large (if you can call these large) in my Meridian 39K. One in wardrobe, one between bed and wardrobe. The other is a smaller (about half as longe) under the bed. The one under the bed starts over the forward pair of valve cover bolts, and gives you more access to the top of the transmission then the engine.

Had the valve adjustment done last week and the only local Cat service center that would do it flatrated it at $750.

Here's why!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806 copy.jpg
Views:	1775
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	7309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815 copy.jpg
Views:	1709
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	7310  

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Wow
That is small. Can the whole metal panels be removed, I see some screw heads.
I guess you would just have to go by feel to get at your thermostat in the area just forward of the red hose. Maybe I'm wrong.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

And that is why I love my north/south bed not in a slide.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Ron, before you bust your knuckles, standing on your head to replace your thermostats, stop and pause a moment.
You indicated your heat indicator is showing normal heat and shows the action and reaction to the thermostats opening and closing.
WHY CHANGE THE FUNCTIONING THERMOSTATS???

I would not change them until they show that they are not functioning normally and only then.

Best regards to you and your Bride and the Pup. We are well and enjoying watching our Gr. Grand Kids growing up.
All the Best... Merry Christmas

Chet and Meredith

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Capt. Chet

Best regards to you and your bride as well. Yes watching grandkids grow is a great experience.
I have the themostats waiting in the motorhome for installation and also waiting for the rains to let up, we have been hit hard in So. Cal, but so has the rest of the States.
The problem is while driving the temps will come up to normal which is just below the 1/2 way mark (no numbers), then drop down to below the 1/4 mark, then return, and so on. they should remain steady. It is indicating they are sticking in the open position and the engine is not operating at its proper temps. when the temps drop so low. Maybe I am worried over nothing.
Merry Christmas
Ron
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

RCTime,

That's exactly why I decided to change mine. "Normal" wasn't always the same like it used to be. It could change just after a lunch stop, or from one day to the next.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Update on replacing thermostats in my Cat. 3126

Finally replaced the themostates in my Cat. 3126 today or rather Al my mobile repair guy did. My temp. gauge was fluctuating and the last time I drove it the needle dropped quickly and the wait to start light flickered, indicating I also might have an electrical problem, but it just happened once.
I got it all ready for him and was very pleased how easy the wood bed platform the mattress lays on can be removed.
4 wood screew foreward of the hinge and pop off the struts. I only had to remove the one metal cover and it opened up the engine very nicly.
With the slide out , the mattress and platform just tilts up next to the bed.
At least on my 34 foot model you looked straight down on the area to work on..
The thermostat replacement was easy and the hardest part was gasket removal.
While running the engine to check for leaks and bring the temp. up, we were checking out the temperature sender and the wire going into it.
When Al just touched the wires to the sender the engine kinda gave a rrump rrrump above high idle speed.
He found very loose connections at the sender and reinstalled the wires to the sender.
Now all is well. I dont know if my problems were all in the sender or a combination of both, but its over and fixed.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #28
RKL
Winnebago Owner

replacing thermoststs in my 3126 cat

RCtime....where is the temp sending wire located in relation to the thermostats?...Thanks RKL
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

RKL

It is on the passenger side of the engine. You cant see it looking straight down, but if you use a mechs. mirror, lift the wire bundle and look aft, you will see some wires.
Als arm was down the passenger side of the engine and towards the back of the engine . Sorry thats the best I can do as I actually didnt see it or feel it myself.
Al was using a mechanics mirror when he finally found the sensor.
Your Cat. book shows a diagram with an arrow #7 pointing to the sensor, however the engine used in the diagram must be the B engine because the diagram doesnt match our engine.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #30
RKL
Winnebago Owner

replacing thermostats on 2126 cat

RCtime....thanks RKL
Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Where does the smaller hose on the thermostat housing go? I overheated yesterday on a trip and it turns out that smaller hose on the thermostat housing popped off and leaked coolant; can't see where the other end goes. 2001 Safari Zanzibar 38.
pschafersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschafersr View Post
Where does the smaller hose on the thermostat housing go? I overheated yesterday on a trip and it turns out that smaller hose on the thermostat housing popped off and leaked coolant; can't see where the other end goes. 2001 Safari Zanzibar 38.

I really cant remember, however you might get more exposure if you create a whole new thread with this question.
I am sure you will get an answer.
Good luck