Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

My LR slide topper fabric is showing some age...it has a small repair where it was ripped and I am seeing that tear extend a bit.

Is fabric replacement a DIY job? Is it something you can do without assistance? Can you buy just the fabric and not the roller or is it simpler to buy the roller with fabric already attached?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My LR slide topper fabric is showing some age...it has a small repair where it was ripped and I am seeing that tear extend a bit.

Is fabric replacement a DIY job? Is it something you can do without assistance? Can you buy just the fabric and not the roller or is it simpler to buy the roller with fabric already attached?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The fabric is available and I watched Factory service replace my slide awning when I was under warranty.

They took the awning off the coach, and laid in on the floor. They then extended the awning by manually turning the takeup roller until it was fully extended. They then pinned the roller so it would not retract, and replaced the fabric. They then reversed the process and installed it. I took about a half hour all together.

You would need a pal, and two ladders to do it.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Just a side note to ptribbey comments:
I did mine along with a friend. It is not difficult. A couple of things to remember:
1. First release the tension using some vice grips. You will have to do one side a time and this is where having a helper comes in handy. You will both need ladders. To release the tension start on one end first. Remove the screws holding the awning in place then release the tension. Once both sides have been released and removed replace the new canvas and reverse the procedure. There is a great deal of tension on these things that can do some real bodily harm. Be very careful and good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, I watched two techs at Snyder's do it when I was there a while back....It didn't take them anytime at all....Two ladders definitely with two guys as others have said.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The new material is a canvas instead of vinyl. Can you obtain the canvas to replace the vinyl? Or, must you replace the vinyl with vinyl?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The type of fabric should be your choice. Just be sure it is sized for your make and model of slidetopper.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Is there anywhere on the web where instructions for replacing the fabric of an A&E slide topper can be found? I need to get the old one off in one piece so that it can be used as a template for the new one. I plan to replace the vinyl fabric with Sunbrella Supreme or Sea Mark. The vinyl delaminated from the mesh bottom layer on the A&E and the Sunbrella with backing should be much better in the long run.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

GEECH, I like your ideal, as I need to replace slide topper on my 02, winnie.
Maybe you can make 2 toppers and sell one to the TENN.VOL. As I do not have
the access to the parachute loft I once had.

If you will check on the next page, under "SAGGING SLIDE TOPPER AWNING"
March 13. I think that is what you are looking for! TENN.VOL.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Geeche,

HERE is a forum from just the other day where iRV2 member "RVGuy" discussed your question.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, after a long study of the problem I order two new slide toppers yesterday. I am having them fabricated locally from Sunbrella Supreme. This is a marine grade awning material and I would hope will last longer then the two years the OEM's did. I check directly with Winnebago, A&E, Carefree of Colorado and Camping World. Winne referred me to A&E (the OEM) who doesn't sell a direct replacement fabric. What they offer is are wider and therefore I would have to cut them down to the same widths (81.8 & 147") as Winne installed on my Brave. Since the original problem was with delamination of the vinyl from the bottom layer of reinforcement, that does not seem like a good idea. Carefree offers replacement only for Winnie's awnings and not the slide toppers. CW, will install a complete new A&E topper system, but again only in the wider widths. Their price for my two slides was $ 705.96 installed. On top of that, at today's gas prices I would have to add an additional $96 for the drive up and back. Total cost to fabricate the two toppers will be $318 and I have a quote from a local company I got off the Carefree web site to install them for $160. My hardware is in good shape, so at 43% off the CW quote it seem like the way to go. If there is any interest I can keep you informed as to the results.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I had my local independent RV guy order replacements for me and do the install. He has a big catalog and it was an item called 'Slideout Awning Universal Replacement Canopy.' I had to give them exact measurements; length of existing fabric and depth of the slides.

The fabric is vinyl and is much heavier than the OEM A&E. There are wide hems sewn in the edges. I paid about $330, installed. Should last as long as I will keep this rig.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Glad that it worked out for you. Its always nice to try to fix something and have it turn out fine...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote