Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My sharp microwave display is kaput...and now is out of warranty. I would like to replace it with a micro/convection...shall I stay with Sharp? or could I change to GE... My only concern is the outside venting...whether the locations of the GE unit will line up with the vent...who knows...they may both the mfg by the same company.

Anyone have had their sharp unit taken off?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My sharp microwave display is kaput...and now is out of warranty. I would like to replace it with a micro/convection...shall I stay with Sharp? or could I change to GE... My only concern is the outside venting...whether the locations of the GE unit will line up with the vent...who knows...they may both the mfg by the same company.

Anyone have had their sharp unit taken off?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

When we bought our Suncruiser I looked on the Sharp website. They listed all of their microwaves and I was able to get installation docs and dimensions. They had a combo unit with a infrared broiler built into it also which looked somewhat intriguing.

I now have the Sharp micro/convection unit in our Bus. It works well so I don't see a reason to dump it for another brand just because the control panel failed.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have identical Sharp units in my MH and at home and have no problems with either one and my wife loves to cook in them...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There was another post floating around lately that talked about the problems with the Sharp. My original one didnt make it thru the first summer when the panel went out. They put another one under warranty. Too soon to tell how long it will last. I wish I tought about it at the time and it a micro/convection put in and just paid the difference. So I dont know if Sharp has a problem with their units or if it that most RV units are Sharps and that why we hear about these failures.
As far as outside venting, it's funny. I noticed shortly after they replaced the microwave that the outside vent wouldnt open when the fan on the micro was turned on. Hadn't really noticed one way of the other before that, so assumed something was wrong with the replacement micro instal. The dealer said this microwave vents to the inside and I asked why I have an outside vent then? They called Winne and was supposedly told that they put the outside vent on all the rigs and then it just "depends" on if an outside or an inside vented microwave is installed!!!!!!!!!
So I guess you could get an inside vented GE if you wanted.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #6

If you really want to step up to an major improvement, go with the GE Advantium. If your micro is vented, most unit are compatiable.
Although, once you cook with one of these units you won't go back to the micro wave, it's history.

The Advantium offers the best of three worlds all in one and just a few dollars more.It cooks with convection, micro wave and light. Light cooking is unbelievable . I've had some of the best steaks we have ever eaten, cook in our Advantium Speed Cook. I kid you not, they are the best and even better yet, I don't have to get that messy barbaque grill out and then have to clean it. The Advantium is the way to go.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine lasted about nine months, so got it replaced under warranty. So far so good. I'll switch when the display dies again.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #8

.....put a piece of carpet padding underneath it....it doesn't like vibrations when over-the-road....geofkaye