Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

replacing day night blinds

We need to replace all the day/night blinds on our MH. I have priced the roller blinds from MCD, which are pretty pricy. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a supplier for pleated blinds.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 06-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm doing the same project and I'm getting some sticker shock! I'm keeping my eye on this to see if anyone has some cheaper options!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You can get cordless, single layer cut-to-fit pleated blinds from Home Depot cheap.

Personally, I like the Hampton Bay cellular day/night ones they carry. Light filtering & nighttime privacy all in one.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Try looking at "Blind Chalet". Back when I had re-strung one of our larger Day-nighters, FOR THE SECOND OR THIRD TIME, I was (and still am) getting real tired of doing that. So, I looked into other forms of day-night stuff. And, MCD was the largest NAME in remedies for this situation. But, I found out about Blind Chalet too. Their day-night double rollers, are almost identical to MCDs but, close to about 1/2 the price.
There's one main difference. The MCDs have clip system for mounting their shades. Blind Chalet's mounting requires some screws to be inserted either horizontally -- endwise or, horizontally rear face wise. In our coach, the valances are extremely narrow and, that would make it extremely tough to mount the Blind Chalet ones. But, I've got a whole bunch of "McGuyver" in me and, I'm working on other ways to mount them, even in the tight quarters.

To me, working a bit at ways to mount the same identical double roller day night shades, at 1/2 the cost, is kind-worth it for some experimentation. I spoke directly with Blind Chalet personnel about it and they were very, very responsive and helpful. So much so that they sent me the actual ends of the roller brackets for FREE so I could come up with a remedy for mounting.

Not only that but about once a month or so, I get an email from them advertising anywhere from 25% to 45% off on their products. Sooner or later, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up with their products. I will say this though, MCD's clip system sure makes things way easier for mounting their products. But, at twice the cost per window, those clips aren't THAT good! Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
... In our coach, the valances are extremely narrow and, that would make it extremely tough to mount the Blind Chalet ones. But, I've got a whole bunch of "McGuyver" in me and, I'm working on other ways to mount them, even in the tight quarters.
We had the same problem with MCD's. Ended up having to put a wood "spacer" backer behind the valances to "push" them out enough to get the MCD duals installed. At first I thought it was kind of cheesy, but once stained to match the rest of our coach's woodwork, it doesn't look half bad.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valancebackers.JPG
Views:	1490
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	165429  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Guys:
I am checking at home depot but what they have appears to be too thick too fit in my 1 3/4 inch deep valances, they do not carry Hampton Bay blinds, at least not in Canada, any more. I think Hampton Bay is a HD in house name anyway and made by somebody else. I will have a look at Blind Chalet over the weekend.
Thanks
Wayne
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

So I did a little more research> Home Depot does have Hampton house day/night but they are now called "Bali" something or another, definitely to thick to fit within my valance and are more expensive by quite a bit then Blind Chalet "RV day night pleated Shades". But Blind Chalet does not ship to Canada, which means I need to find another supplier or wait till I am in the States this winter.
Thanks
Wayne
Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Try here...Find Nearest Dealer : Irvine Shade and Door
treywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Treywolf: their internet pricing is better then Blind Chalet but I don't know what their shipping policies are yet and they have a local supplier I will go and see.
Wayne