Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Ready for new adventures

Replacement flooring; Peel-&-stick, Vinyl planks, Sheet vinyl?

The original owner of our new-to-us 2015 Winnebago Tribute had put Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) floating floor in the bedroom and bathroom of our coach over the original sheet vinyl (no slides involved). It looked really good but I had to pull up the entire LVP floor when a water pump leak spread water between the original vinyl and the floating floor. We discovered the leak when walking on the LVP floor we had water coming up on our feet. The entire area under the floating floor (pun fully intended) was soaked and the only way to dry it was to pull up the click-and-lock LVP. That pretty much ruined the vinyl planks and the underlay pad was torn up to get it out and the "clicks" were mostly broken off.
So now we want to put replace the LVP floor with new flooring on top of the original vinyl. The mechanic who found the leak for us recommends against floating floor, but I'm looking for ideas.
Peel and stick vinyl appeals as an easy solution (DW not fond of the idea), sheet vinyl would also work (probably have to pay to have that done), or is LVP floating floor OK, notwithstanding our literal "floating floor" experience?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Team

We "floated" a peel and stick Allure (from Home Depot) vinyl over the subfloor when I pulled up some carpet and existing sheet vinyl. We didn't put any breaks in it from the front of the coach to the rear bedroom carpet. It went down pretty easily. This is the stuff that has "sticky" on 2 sides and overlaps to make a waterproof surface. There are places where it's stapled down but that's not really advised. (where the quarter round staples went down because there wasn't anything to staple into otherwise and where we folded the existing carpet over to make a transition.)

The one thing that I didn't like was that its susceptible to temp swings. We have a section between 2 larger sections that is only 5 planks wide (the short hallway) where the ends separated. Had I known this would happen I would have done some transition strips rather than float the whole thing. Other than that it's holding up well. We're starting to notice that there are some scuffs where we've opened the slides and they rub but 2 years in you really have to look for them. I think it took us about 2 days to tear out, remove the bazillion staples from the factory and reinstall the new flooring.

The tools required were mostly just a good razor knife, straight edge and surface to cut on so if you're on the road you could do this. That said I was "hurting" for about a week following as I used plenty of muscles that I didn't remember I had.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement