Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Winnie the Wego

Replacement Decals

Hi All, hey thanks everyone for all you help.

I own a 2006 Winnebago View H (LOVE IT!) but the decals are showing age. Does anyone have a ball park figure on the cost of replacing all the decals? Can I order a complete set? I know the Winnebagoparts.com has the parts catalog but it appears they are all individual.

Thanks everyone for help in advance.

Pam
pmoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We fought with our decals. Faded, Cracking. Were unable to find replacements. And even if we did we would just be delaying the inevitable.

Finally got a quote to remove and repaint. Astronomical! So we removed them ourselves - much work! And had the shop paint them back on and shoot the coach with new clearcoat for about $1500. Your area will likely vary.

They painted them back on by following the sun fade shadow from the decals.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a couple decals that are cracked and faded. I was able to purchase two of the three decals needed. One decal was about $70, the second decal was about $250, and the third decal was priced at over $700 because they would have to recreate the decal. I purchased the two cheaper decals and plan to remove and replace tomorrow. I have read up on a couple methods used to remove old decals (heat method and decal removal wheel method). Should be interesting to see how I do.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
Itasca Owners

Ours were faded, but not cracked. I just sanded, masked them off and painted them. So far, so good.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I have a couple decals that are cracked and faded. I was able to purchase two of the three decals needed. One decal was about $70, the second decal was about $250, and the third decal was priced at over $700 because they would have to recreate the decal. I purchased the two cheaper decals and plan to remove and replace tomorrow. I have read up on a couple methods used to remove old decals (heat method and decal removal wheel method). Should be interesting to see how I do.
For that 3rd graphic, you may want to look into LOCAL vinyl wrap vendors that have CAD vinyl cutting machines. I designed my own graphic (solid colors) and had the vinyl custom cut and installed for $500. The shop was in La Habra, not to far from you. But I'm sure there are other shops with this capability.

This photo below is the RV today, which is now for sale. The high quality 3M vinyl they used was guaranteed for 7yrs, but it's been 18yrs since installed and the vinyl hasn't cracked, still in good shape. The green and blue waves and the Weekend Chateau text on both sides is what was custom made and installed. The blue skirt is paint. I originally ordered this RV from Fleetwood with no graphic vinyl because the stock graphics looked terrible. These waves were something I designed on my computer, I wanted to keep it simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weekend Chateau graphics.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	170765  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks... Do you remember the name of the shop in La Habra? I just need someone to recreate and cut the decal. I will install it myself.

As I mentioned in my post above, I installed one of my damaged decals today. It took my wife and I about 5 hours to remove and install the new decal. We took our time and I have a couple minor imperfections that I can live with. If you look close, you will see I missed covering up a portion of the shadow by about 1/2 inch. I also have a small crease on the lower portion of the decal. Not bad for my first time dealing with a large decal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3905.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	170766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	170767  

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	170768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3909.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	170769  

Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Not that this helps you much in AL, but the PO of my MH had the graphics, including the lettering, painted on in Mexico. It makes the MH look much newer than it is.

This is more akin to boat painting than auto painting so check out your local marine repair shops for recommendations. Compared to boat graphics, MHs are pretty straight forward since they're primarily flat work. I'd get prices for both vinyl and paint from the shops that do boat graphics.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Thanks... Do you remember the name of the shop in La Habra? I just need someone to recreate and cut the decal. I will install it myself.
Actually they are in Fullerton, right on the border of LaHabra. SBT Graphics.

The guy I knew back then was Tom Richie, the owner.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John. I sent a request to see if they are willing to recreate the decal. In an effort to cut down on the cost, I am willing to remove the old decal and apply the new one. I will see what they say...
Old 12-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Thanks John. I sent a request to see if they are willing to recreate the decal. In an effort to cut down on the cost, I am willing to remove the old decal and apply the new one. I will see what they say...
I suggest you consider them installing the vinyl. They have the knack, and I don't think it would cost much more if you take the RV to them. They're pretty quick. But having the old stickers removed is a good thing, that's very time consuming to do that.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
I suggest you consider them installing the vinyl. They have the knack, and I don't think it would cost much more if you take the RV to them. They're pretty quick. But having the old stickers removed is a good thing, that's very time consuming to do that.
I agree with John. I've applied vinyl boat names before and there's a knack to doing it without air bubbles and, if you damage a piece, it can get expensive. Best to have them do it. Just get a firm price quote so there aren't any surprises.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

John and Bob - I agree with your comments above. I would most likely have them install the decal. I'm sure most of the cost is removing the old decal and I am willing to do that. Thanks.

I e-mailed SBT Graphics late last night and I already received a reply from Tom today. Very pleased so far with the responsiveness, especially since it is a small job. He seems willing to do the job, but also recommended I contact the manufacturer to see if I can get the replacement decal. I appreciate him making the suggestion and possibly losing the business, but he was unaware I had already reached out to Winnebago Parts for the decal. I will probably have to drive the motorhome to him so he can see the color, size, etc.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Plastic razor blades are a wonderful thing for removing decals without damaging your fiberglass.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I agree... That is what we used with a heat gun on low heat. We followed up with "Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover". A lot of work, but came out great.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have the same decal issue on our 07 Voyage. I have simply removed a couple and plan to paint them back as they are no longer available. I used a professional heat gun designed for shrink tube, (not a hair dryer) and they came off very easily, no chemicals or scraping at all. The key is high heat and keeping the heat on the portion of the decal that is pulling away from the wall. Our decals are pealing away on the outside edges, not cracking and that might be why they came off easily when using heat. You can definitely see where the decals were because of sun fade.
As far as applying new vinyl graphics I have done it on police and other municipal vehicles and we used a special fluid https://www.amazon.com/RapidTac-RT-1...312268682&th=1 the fluid was sprayed on the area where the decal went and allowed it to move into position and than using a plastic squeegee the fluid is forced out to the edges. this makes for a perfectly positioned decal and no trapped air bubbles.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
CoveredWagon

I have a similar problem with my 2005 Sightseer. The old decals are cracked and peeling. Probably because the rig lived in the desert most of it's life! I removed one decal using a heat gun and putty knife. he adhesive residue was a pain. I experimented with different chemicals and found that a citrus based paint remover worked well. I have to be very cautious when using the stripper so I don't damage the gel coat, but It worked good. Next time I will use the plastic razor blades and a rubber wheel remover. A local shop told me about them while he was applying a wrap on a van.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We had our last coach, a 32fter stripped and prepared for $750 and then worked with a local vinyl sign maker to make new decals and add some of our own design. Whole job including the stripping was $2500.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

**Update**

SBT Graphics (Fullerton, California) quoted me $200 to reproduce the graphic decal on the rear of my motorhome (see below), $100 for installation, and $125 to remove the cracking decal (plus applicable tax). The company was upfront with me and indicated I could save on the cost by removing the old decal myself (which I am going to do). I appreciate them working with me to keep the cost down. Sure beats paying $700 Winnebago Parts wanted for the same decal. The decal will be 3M Vinyl with a seven year warranty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rossi Request.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	170844  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #19
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
**Update**

SBT Graphics (Fullerton, California) quoted me $200 to reproduce the graphic decal on the rear of my motorhome (see below), $100 for installation, and $125 to remove the cracking decal (plus applicable tax). The company was upfront with me and indicated I could save on the cost by removing the old decal myself (which I am going to do). I appreciate them working with me to keep the cost down. Sure beats paying $700 Winnebago Parts wanted for the same decal. The decal will be 3M Vinyl with a seven year warranty.
Glad that worked out better. The 3M product is excellent, way better than stock Winnebago vinyl stickers. As I mentioned earlier in post #5 of this thread, my graphics from SBT are 18yrs old and the aren't cracking yet. Please post a photo of before and after when you get it done.

By the way, at Harbor Freight (big sale this weekend) I happen to see the tools to help remove the old vinyl. They are located in the body shop tool area. They are plastic tools for removing vinyl without scratching paint/finish. If you need a heat gun, they have that too. There's a HF nearby in LaHabra on Harbor&LaHabra Blvd.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Thank John... I have everything I need (heat gun, plastic blades, and adhesive remover) and already removed and replaced one of the decals (Post #6). My plan is to have them install the rear decal because it is in two pieces due to the rear compartment door.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement