Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replace motor for Kwikee Revolution steps?

I just had our steps freeze in the down position & had to drive a short distance home that way since I could find no clevis pin on this model to retract them manually.

After talking to Kwikee, I learned that this "improved" model Kwikee on our 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T can only be operated manually by first removing the motor since it has no pin to remove.

After some research, I tried rapping on the motor with a plastic hammer & the steps began working properly again & have continued to after a number of cycles. I was told that these motors can get dead spots in the windings & tapping them with a hammer will often free them up so they will operate normally again as mine did.

Kwikee suggested that I continue to use it as is until the motor eventually fails completely rather than replace it now. I wonder if anyone here has experience with doing that after getting it going again by tapping on the motor. Is it now more likely to fail again or to fail completely or could I expect a normal motor life after this occurence?

Thanks,
Cass Sumrall
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have heard of the tapping method of getting the motor to work. I actually pulled the motor off and took it apart. The graphite brushes dirty up the armature and then the motor stops. Rapping on it with a hammer might knock some of that loose. After cleaning the armature and putting the motor back together and reinstalling it, the steps work just fine. I did buy a new motor and gearbox to replace the old one should the need arrise.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I would be inclined to fix it. You know when it fails it will be under the most inconvenient circumstances. BTW, it's pretty sad that the motor failed with it being in service only a couple of years. What did kwikee say about that??
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInAz View Post
I would be inclined to fix it. You know when it fails it will be under the most inconvenient circumstances. BTW, it's pretty sad that the motor failed with it being in service only a couple of years. What did kwikee say about that??
They said to run it until it quits completely & they would replace it under warranty if it is within the two year warranty which will expire for me in about 4 months.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine quit about 6 yrs ago and I opened up the motor and cleaned it all out. It has been working fine ever since. My thought is to keep the mechanism well lubed so the motor does not have to work as hard and then it will last a lot longer. Use a good quality lubricant, like T-9 Boeshield ... this stuff lasts a lot longer than WD40.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Order ACI 83694 motor from Amazon for $40, when the old one quits get your freebie from Kwikee.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Order ACI 83694 motor from Amazon for $40, when the old one quits get your freebie from Kwikee.
How can I be sure that is the correct motor?

My steps are the newer Revolution Kwikee's which have a different looking gearbox & mounting than the old standard Kwikee's.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
I just had our steps freeze in the down position
I tried rapping on the motor with a plastic hammer & the steps began working properly again & have continued to after a number of cycles. I was told that these motors can get dead spots in the windings & tapping them with a hammer will often free them up so they will operate normally again as mine did.
Kwikee suggested that I continue to use it as is until the motor eventually fails completely rather than replace it now. I wonder if anyone here has experience with doing that after getting it going again by tapping on the motor. Is it now more likely to fail again or to fail completely or could I expect a normal motor life after this occurence?
Thanks,
Cass Sumrall
Quote:
They said to run it until it quits completely & they would replace it under warranty if it is within the two year warranty which will expire for me in about 4 months.
Quote:
My steps are the newer Revolution Kwikee's which have a different looking gearbox & mounting than the old standard Kwikee's.
Cass Sumrall
Good question

IMO, by asking you to wait until the motor completely fails Kwikee is looking for a way out of HONORING the warranty.
You should NOT have to put up with a "sometimes working/half working" step motor when it is warranted by the manufacturer.
I would take whatever steps are necessary to cause the motor to COMPLETELY FAIL NOW, (rather than take the chance that it will last longer than the warranty).

BTW, I know more than one owner who has to HIT his "older than 2 year out of warranty Kwikee step motor" nearly every time he wants it to operate.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm leaving for a week or so on the road next week so I have a feeling I will have to wait until after that to replace the motor if that is the decision. I'm hoping it will again respond to tapping it if it fails on our upcoming trip.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

You could take it off and compare it to the Amazon photo, or take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone. That number references to a 1990 Taurus Driver Door window motor, good luck.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Kwikee says to lube the pivot points monthly. The motor stops by the amount of amperage it draws, no limit switch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Kwikee says to lube the pivot points monthly. The motor stops by the amount of amperage it draws, no limit switch.
Yes, lubricating it is what I will do for sure in case that was the problem, although it started working regularly after I tapped on the motor.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yes, lubricating it is what I will do for sure in case that was the problem, although it started working regularly after I tapped on the motor.

I think I'd buy a portable step (about $10 at Lowes/Home Depot) and throw it in a compartment. If it fails again, and you can get it to retract, you can at least shut it off and use the portable.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I think I'd buy a portable step (about $10 at Lowes/Home Depot) and throw it in a compartment. If it fails again, and you can get it to retract, you can at least shut it off and use the portable.
Yes, that's a good idea. I have one ordered that I think will work. The problem has been finding one that I believe will not only work for us but also our dogs & will not be too heavy & will not take up too much storage space.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Going Through the Motor Replacement Problem Now

Motor failed 5 weeks ago, have learned a lot dealing with PowerGear, now owned by Leppert. Most parts wholesale firms don't have part numbers for the step model installed by Winnebago(we have a 2012 Journey), they have to contact PowerGear direct for correct part number and price. Have used 3 mobile repair firms that had trouble purchasing the correct motor. The correct motor just now has arrived, repairman in route. Pleased to learn the motor can be disassembled.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, replace, steps