Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replace Microwave

Any suggestions on a replacement for the Sharp convection/microwave in the 04 Meridian? The cost of a replacement turntable motor is now $49.00 if you can find one. Not gonna do it! Time to replace the unit. We don't need a combination unit, just a new microwave. I'd like to find the same size.

Any suggestions?

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Bill,

My 2004 Sharp microwave/convection oven last summer started shutting off every 58 seconds and reports on the forum stated others had to have a door (don;t remember the exact name of the door, not the main door) switch/motor replaced. I have both of those in hand and waiting for the weather to clear so a repairman can come and pull the oven out for a repair.

No more cost than the turntable motor is, I've wondered about having it replaced at the same time. Did yours stop working completely or does it make some kind of noise? No more than ours was used it shouldn't have gone south but the way different ovens are mounted and the space involved I'm not sure I'm ready to try a replacement oven. I went that route in a 5th wheel once and ran into enough problems I swore I'd pay anything to avoid trying to fit a different model in the same space.

Would hate to have to pull it out twice real close together as it doesn't look like a walk in the park to do.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do a search on here, everyone has replaced the 2004's perhaps someone just put in the micro. We put a micro in one of our friends HR. We just took the measurements and cheecked sizes till we found one. You may have to change the mounting plate. We put a GE in the house and it is about the same size as our replaced new Sharp in the MH
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Hi Bill,

My 2004 Sharp microwave/convection oven last summer started shutting off every 58 seconds and reports on the forum stated others had to have a damper door switch/motor replaced. I have both of those in hand and waiting for the weather to clear so a repairman can come and pull the oven out for a repair.

No more cost than the turntable motor is, I've wondered about having it replaced at the same time. Did yours stop working completely or does it make some kind of noise? No more than ours was used it shouldn't have gone south but the way different ovens are mounted and the space involved I'm not sure I'm ready to try a replacement oven. I went that route in a 5th wheel once and ran into enough problems I swore I'd pay anything to avoid trying to fit a different model in the same space.

Would hate to have to pull it out twice real close together as it doesn't look like a walk in the park to do.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
I just remember the name of the door switch and motor. Changed it above in the message.

Goofed - I did a Quote instead of an Edit.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

wagonmaster,
the damper motor failure causes the oven to shut off in 58sec. Ordered from sears and photo is attached. Replaced it myself. Not too difficult but the oven weighs about 90lbs. Other photo shows the location of the damper motor inside the microwave chasis.

Jim & Debbie 04 Journey with suzuki toad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uw damper motor.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	2758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2759  

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I pulled the MW about two years ago to replace the damper motor, was not fun but doable. The capacitor next to the damper motor will bite, you should discharge it first.
I think it's time to go to town and checkout the hardware stores for a replacement.
Removing the MW is fairly straight forward, just get a strong helper. The unit is heavy!
Thanks all,
Bill j.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
wagonmaster,
the damper motor failure causes the oven to shut off in 58sec. Ordered from sears and photo is attached. Replaced it myself. Not too difficult but the oven weighs about 90lbs. Other photo shows the location of the damper motor inside the microwave chasis.

Jim & Debbie 04 Journey with suzuki toad
I already have the damper motor (same model number as yours) but was thinking maybe I should have ordered the turntable motor at the same time. Probably should go ahead and do it now anyway before pulling out the MW. From the pictures I've seen on the various web sites, the tt motor looks exactly like the damper motor but has a different parts number. Are they really different?

Was glad to see your picture of the damper motor as there are several different parts number on the different web sites and I've seen prices from $9.95 to $22.01 so was a little nervous that I had the right one. Several posters said they paid around $12-$15 for theirs. Usually you never know till the old part is removed. When I showed the part to a repair and appliance dealer here in town to see if they could do the work the first thing he said was that it looked just like a turntable motor, which kind of scared me.

Wagonmaster2