Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

replace caulking - exterior

the valance strip that covers my compartment doors is cracking. while visiting the winnebago plant a few weeks back, i pickup the proper caulking for the replacement. now---silicone caulking aparently just doesn't want to give up and come up. i've used a razor knife and loosened it, but it is really sticky. i googled the how to sites for help and nothing seems to work. help please if you can. thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Maybe the tube is out of date it may be old stuff. Or possibly air got into it when it was sitting on the shelf. I just recaulked both sides of mine with caulking from a Winne dealer it flowed very smooth give Winnebago a call they will most likely send out a new tube.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If I read the OP correctly the problem is with the old caulking and not the new?

I've never really heard of a way to effectively remove silicone caulk I'm afraid. To make matters worse, I don't think new caulking with stick to it either so it really does need to come off.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

BTW, last year I had Winnie (Forest City) R&R all of the caulking on my rig and the tech warned me to be really sure to use only the factory approved caulk on each application... and NOT to trust what Winnie dealers recommend unless you confirm it with the factory.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
silicone caulking aparently just doesn't want to give up and come up. i've used a razor knife and loosened it, but it is really sticky.
. That does not sound like silicone to me. Have you verified with Winnie owner relations that they originally used silicone there? If the caulk is original, they should be able to tell you the best removal method.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm confused. What is the valence strip that covers the compartment doors? I have an aluminum strip that runs the length of the coach just above the compartment doors which hides the hinges. There is no caulking on, over, or behind those strips. I've had them off more than once and never saw the need to caulk.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

To OP: I think I can shed some light on your topic. First, I went through this last year with the identical problem. First, to clarify one thing: Winnie did use silicone on this strip. It is a polyeurthene or something like that. Look on your "caulking call out sheet" that came with your coach and you will see what is called for. If Winnie supplied a new tube for you it should not be silicone. Silicone is not recommended in most caulking applications that I can find in the call out sheet.
Next, to remove the old caulking go to Wally World and in the paint dept. they sell a yellow plastic handle device for removing caulking without scratching the paint or finish. It has two pointed edges on either side of the tool. It is plastic and very cheap (about 2-3dollars) This works fantastic for getting the old out. Just scrape the tool over the caulking and will begin removing it. You will most likely not get all of it out but you will get enough out to apply the new and make it look great without scratching. Prepare to spend all day on this as it is a tedious process.
Once the old is removed get some mineral spirits and lots of old clean t-shirts for the application part. Cut the caulking tube end. Make sure you cut only the very tip of the tube. You want a very small hole as this stuff is very difficult to work with and gets very messy quick. Cut the end of the tube at a 45 angle. Now, start at either end and carefully lay out a small bead of caulk moving slowly. Do not miss any areas as you cannot go back with this stuff. If you do mess up use a t-shirt with mineral spirits to smooth out the bead immediately, don't wait. I would practice on something else before hand to get the feel of this poly? caulk. When you finish your first area you will find over 24 hrs. this stuff will shrink a little and settle into the groove so, don't think you need to add more as you go. A little of this goes a long way in grooves. Once it sets up, it is really strong and stays nice looking for years.
It is not a fun job and this stuff is very hard to work with. It is also the same stuff you are suppose to use on the sides of the roof by the gutter. Personally, I think 4200 boat life caulk would do just as well and last longer and cost less but what do I know. Good luck with your project
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
To OP: I think I can shed some light on your topic. First, I went through this last year with the identical problem. First, to clarify one thing: Winnie did use silicone on this strip.
Did you mean to say that Winnie DID or DIDN'T use silicone here?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

caulking replacement

thanks ricko and funtime. perhaps i'm calling it the wrong name although the girls at the factory called it a valance srip. at anyrate it is a metal strip 1 1/2" x 1'2" affixed to my coach on bothsides that covers the bay door hinges otherwise it would look like crap on a white chicken. also it may be polyurethane instead of silicone. thanks for your comments and today we will find out if it is gonna be tough. i'll let you know. thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawboyce View Post
thanks ricko and funtime. perhaps i'm calling it the wrong name although the girls at the factory called it a valance srip. at anyrate it is a metal strip 1 1/2" x 1'2" affixed to my coach on bothsides that covers the bay door hinges otherwise it would look like crap on a white chicken. also it may be polyurethane instead of silicone. thanks for your comments and today we will find out if it is gonna be tough. i'll let you know. thanks

That is the same strip I am referring to. Held on by little screws that are inserted up thru the bottom of the strip. Why would you need to caulk it? Is Winnebago suggesting you caulk the top edge where it meets the coach sidewall? If so, it would be difficult to remove to access the hinges if necessary. It appears to be cosmetic only (hides the hinges). The compartments below are water tight due to their weather strips. Did your's come from the factory with caulk?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just happen to have my sealant call out sheet on my desk (bought some from a local dealer and wanted to cnfirm it was correct). There is no sealant called out for this strip.

As for silicone on the sheet, sealants B,C,& E are silicone, A is urethane and used as an adhesive/sealant primarily for the roof edge where mechanical strength is more important than sealing. I agree 3M 4200 would be a good alternative for the urethane, 4000 is probably better due to UV resistance but only comes in white. 5200 would be really great BUT you will never get it, or the two surfaces, apart again without wrecking something.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hey gang, this is really developing into a good thread with great insight. First, Smlranger, you are correct in your comments about the reason for this strip. What is even more interesting and to your point, my strip has caulking and came that way from the factory when I purchased it new. My friends, coach (Journey 05) does not have this caulking on the strip and never did. Another friends 06 Adventurer does not have it. When I called Winny last year when I started this project the service rep. stated some Meridians have it some don't. No real reason for this. I said huh? That makes no sense. His reply was "tell me about it as I have no answer and the strip does nothing but hide the hinges". He said they probably do it to make that strip look and blend nicer to the sidewall. So, the caulking is for looks only. However, this caulking detoriates over time and is impossible to remove it all which is why it is best to apply a "re-fresher coat" for looks.
I went back to look on my call out sheet and it has one small area above the entry door where the rain gutter is that calls for silicone. That is it. No other silicone indicated on mine. I guess they must change call out sheets for different models and years perhaps......who the heck knows what they do as indicated by the service reps reply above.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Interesting alright,,The reason I recaulked mine was I found that my side box was a little wet inside I called Winne tech and was told that occaisionally water will seep down under the strip and work its way into the box according to him it gets caulked. Both sides of my coach had the strip caulked front to rear previously. I used 3m adhesive remover and a caulking removing tool very carefully I recaulked both sides it came out very nice. After the hurricane there was no water found. Time will tell if it holds. I had an 02 Journey with the same strip I do not recall any caulking in that strip, go figure.

Tags
replace