Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Repairing my Sharp Microwave

I am repairing my Sharp Microwave Convection oven and before I start, I want to know if anyone knows about the danger of a shock from stored up electricity. Someone told me to watch out for this and I thought maybe somebody here could tell me more exactly where it comes from .
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

micro.

after removing the unit or gaining access through the front panel you will see the high voltage capacitor with the diod on it you must be carefull and use a screw driver and short across the two termanels of the capacitor making sure any part of your self is touching anything
,the capacitor holds a charge for ahwile also make sure the unit is unpluged pk42
pk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

if you are just replacing it no problem BUT do not open the cabinet with out first educating your self on capacitors
be safe
brianj
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well if he doesn't do what PK42 says he WILL become extremely educated on capacitors!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If it will not turn on I'd first check the internal fuse, I think it's a 3A automotive-type 120VAC fuse.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I really would not do exactly what PK said. Make sure you have a clean wood or plastic handle on the screwdriver. Hold it by the handle and make sure your hand is not close to the metal on the screwdriver. Then without touching anything else short out the two terminals of the capacitor. Microwaves have some really high voltages in them and you could get a bad burn. If it indeed is charged up you will see one hell of a spark and a hear a loud crack. Then go change you underwear and remember what I told you. It may not spark and might be discharged. Better to be safe than sorry.
Oh the reason I mention a clean handle on the screwdriver is if there is any dirt the capacitor could send the charge through the handle if you happen to be making a better path to ground.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Door will not open on Sharp model R1874

All of the features work on my microwave oven but the door will not open now! I can remove the upper grill and then access the one screw that allows the control panel to tilt out, then I use a putty knife to release the latches. Has anyone had the same problem and if so did you repair the problem by yourself or would a technician be required? Have a great day!

Campsmoke 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
campsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I wonder which is cheaper, buying a new microwave/oven, taking the old one to a repair shop or the hospital bill?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

New ones is cheap. I just replaced mine.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

New Microwaves are cheap. New microwave/convection ovens are not. Still might be cheaper than a trip to the hospital though.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

1999 Darwin Award: Resistance is Futile

Ramzfan
By asking the question in the first tell me you are a smart person with limited experience when dealing with electricity. Playing with a large capacitor is not the place to learn.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ramzfan
By asking the question in the first tell me you are a smart person with limited experience when dealing with electricity. Playing with a large capacitor is not the place to learn.

Yes it is the place to learn. One time that thing pop's you, and you won't do it again.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I am repairing my Sharp Microwave Convection oven and before I start, I want to know if anyone knows about the danger of a shock from stored up electricity. Someone told me to watch out for this and I thought maybe somebody here could tell me more exactly where it comes from .
After 9 years of loyal service, don't you think you can afford to buy a new one ?
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

i had the same micro /convertion oven i did work on mine if you can open door with knif e you might be able to see what the problem is .cou;ld be broken plastic part that opens door.could have trouble getting part.i ended up replacing with regular microwave good luck bill
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
After 9 years of loyal service, don't you think you can afford to buy a new one ?
Yeah Norman, maybe I'll just go out and replace the whole motorhome...!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Very low danger but as others have said you can discharge the cap,, They do not store that much energy.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Yeah Norman, maybe I'll just go out and replace the whole motorhome...!
That's your choice, but for ± $400. you are loosing your time and other's as well.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Before you remove it from the motorhome call Sharp to see if any parts are still available. Our Sharp model R-1880LS-t convection microwave was a little over a year old when it failed. When we took it to the authorized repair shop they found the problem was a failed main fuse holder.

We spent over 2 months waiting for the holder to be delivered from Sharp. Each time it was ordered a delivery date was given. Each delivery date came and went with no part delivered.

When I finally called Sharp they told me the microwave was "obsolete and no longer supported". When I challenged the "obsolete" statement giving them several national retail chains that were still selling the exact same model the person on the other end hung up.

Fortunately for us the repair shop was able to find a compatible fuse holder from a different brand microwave. Hopefully this will be the only repair we'll need. If it fails again the only recourse will be to replace it. As for the cost the same model convection/microwave (although obsolete) is still on the market selling for between $579.00 and $779.00 depending on the retailer.

As a side note I did call the Sharp support line a second time and asked how they would handle a failure of the same model microwave if it was less than a year old. The response was that if the unit was still under the warranty period it would be replaced with a compatible current model. If it was beyond the warranty period (like ours) they would be more than happy to sell us a new convection/microwave.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

hopefully this thread isn't too old for another response/question:
our book didn't say anything about an internal fuse....nor can we see where it is. Anyone know?
It's a Sharp Carousel (microwave/convection) R-820B...I assume it's original equipment so it's certainly lived it's life! If it needs to be replaced we only want a microwave, but haven't started shopping yet.
thanks!
Carol
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I can't speak for the R-820B, but there was a fuse behind the control panel on our R-1880LS-t. The rear and side covers had to be removed. The fuse was in a holder about 3" inside the right panel about 2" behind the control panel. The original problem was that the fuse blew.

The microwave only worked for about 20 minutes of use after it was replaced. (We've never used the convection oven option.) This time the fuse holder started to melt down before the fuse blew. Sharp no longer supported the unit so the repair person put in a generic fuse holder. We've only used microwave function a couple hours since the last repair, but it seems to be holding. We've yet to use the convection oven.

We now have a Sony 850 watt table top unit in one of the storage compartments just in case. We purchased one when the Sharp quit the first time, but left it at home after the first repair. We had to purchase another Sony the second time the Sharp quit. The Sony will stay in the storage compartment until we're reasonably sure the Sharp will perform as expected. We really don't want to purchase a 3rd unit for temporary use.

If the Sharp dies again it's down the road. We checked with several local appliance dealers. Luckily most of the over range units have the same physical size so if the current one does give up again we'll replace it with a current model of a different brand.

Tags
repair