Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removing/Repair sagging Ceiling 94 Brave

So is this a common problem? My ceiling is sagging looks like the foam/clue is breaking down. I know this was common on a lot of 90's cars and trucks also. I was thinking of just pulling it down and scrapping off all the old foam. Then maybe painting it or putting luan board over it and then painting it. Please let me know if you have had this problem and what you did. any help/advice would be a big plus!
Thanks
Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem with our 2004. I took down the vinyl and used a wire brush to remove the foam. Its a messy job getting the foam off and working overhead isn't a joy but it's very doable.
I went with gluing up new foam backed vinyl and trim it out with molding. We're happy with the results. The only problem I'd see with painting it would be the seams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	170136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	170137  

Old 09-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sure looks good, Kane... Mind telling where you sourced materials? The lateral battens; wood or plastic. Contact cement or mastic to glue the fabric to the roof? Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
I got the vinyl from Lichtsinn RV. The lateral battens are plastic. Some I was able to reuse from the original, others were damaged when I removed them. Winnebago was able to supply me with the replacements.
As for the glue, the first time I did this (the main cabin and galley) I used the Scott #80 spray glue. It worked out OK and its still up there but it was a PITA, used about one can per panel per side, and your finger gets pretty sore. Last month I did the bedroom and bath area. This time I used contact cement with a foam roller. The roller was easier to apply but you use more glue. Just remember that either way you go it's "contact cement" and you need two people and you both have to be on the same page when you are sticking it up. Once it's stuck its stuck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	170236  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Kane... Ya, 'Contact' cement makes me nervous thinking about working overhead with soft materials. You must be skilled to not end up with bubbles and creases. Next time you need to use aerosol cans, get one of these gizmos. Cheers.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71j-eAlO9dL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	170237  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Thanks, Kane... Ya, 'Contact' cement makes me nervous thinking about working overhead with soft materials. You must be skilled to not end up with bubbles and creases. Next time you need to use aerosol cans, get one of these gizmos. Cheers.

Jim
I'm not sure on being "skilled" and there are a couple of opps but no creases. In the main area I had a few bubbles, not sure if I really want to call them bubbles more like it just wasn't smooth. It took about 3 months and it sort of tightened up over time. Maybe I stretched the vinyl a little putting it on and it finally relaxed. There was one section in the main area that we really messed up on. Had to remove the vinyl again, wire brush all the foam etc and start over. It was a bummer for sure but we got past it.
I also ended up with a crease of sorts in the bedroom. All in all it's soooo much better than the ceiling held up with thumb tacks and staples and no where near the $5 ~ 7K estimate I got for paying someone to do it.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you're lucky, the old adhesive may be water soluble (it could explain the sagging). The adhesive on my 2002 Suncruiser is. I had to remove the headliner in the bathroom and used a spray bottle filled with water.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am doing the same repair to my Winnebago Adventurer. I have removed the foam from the wood just as you have. I have ordered new panels from Winnebago and I am planning on gluing the new panel to the wood that is all ready in place. We have removed all of the cabinets so it should be easier to put everything up with an empty RV. If you any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Laserline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

SG Kane, you have done a fantastic job, I would like to know the trick to take down the small circular trim pieces (air duct) and the long thin trim that goes between the panels. Thanks
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Since this post we've had to do the bedroom and bath area. I found that rolling contact cement with a paint roller was much easier and a little less messy than those spray cans. On the vinyl we sprayed the contact cement on with a paint sprayer. If I had to do it again I would pass on the spray cans.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
SG Kane, you have done a fantastic job, I would like to know the trick to take down the small circular trim pieces (air duct) and the long thin trim that goes between the panels. Thanks
The circular trim pieces just pop off, I think I used a paint can opener tool but I suspect a small flat blade screw driver would work. Once that ring is off, you can simply unscrew them from the ceiling.
As for the strips, they are a bit tougher. If you push real hard in the center it will push the edges out enough that you can get that paint can opener under it to release it. I successfully got a couple off without damaging them however some simply cracked. I called Winnebago and they still sold them. I don't remember how much the cost but I quit being carefull and just started breaking them off.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The circular vents just pop off with a flat head screwdriver. I will try to put some pictures up as I go.
Laserline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

SG Kane, How did you deal with the area above the refrigerator slide? In the picture that area looks unaccessible.
KMackk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, ceiling, repair