Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Removing head-knocker in bedroom?

Maybe in 2002 people were 5'5" and all TVs were 12". I am almost 6' and do not watch TV on my back. ...but, this shelf appears to be mounted from the back? I want it gone.

Aside from; "Hand me a larger hammer." ..or a Sawzall, I do not see a way it comes of. Perhaps you have plowed this ground already and can advise. Thanks.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headknocker.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	170459  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can we see a picture from the underside of the shelf?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Since starting mods on my Sightseer 5 years ago, I have learned what appears to be Winnebago's process for mounting most everything inside my coach. If you look closely at the bottom or top you will generally find a 1/8 panel that is the bottom or top. Shelves are made of a torsion box design. An example

The panel hides the screws that are holding the shelf on the wall. You will have to remove the panel to get access to the screws. Sometimes it is the top panel, sometimes the bottom. I would suspect yours may be bottom.

Good Hunting
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, you guys... Sorry for the lag in my response... When you asked about the 'underside' Podivin - a light went off.

Just now, I saw that wonderful illustration McK posted. So instead of taking downward blows with a sledge, I'll wedge out that panel underneath first.

McK, I hope you are posting your mods somewhere? Cheers.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shelf2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	170470  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wetstuff, Made so many mods to my coach, I've lost track. I'd list them all but that would be a really long post. The most important I've done was to make DW Happy. Installed a splendide where the oven/stove was. Of course I had to re-design the whole kitchen to do it.
BTW, most of the panels are held in with 22ga or finer wire staples. A sharp putty knife can usually get them out without much damage. I learned, any time you can't find a screw go looking for a panel.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

McK... Oh, that's a W/D?! That's right - some of you don't have two land-locations to choose from. Eeeech ..I remember laundromats.

Copy on the wire brads/staples. I did a fair bit of trim at home; a small compressor sitting outside (I hate gratuitous noise) and brad-shooter is the ONLY way to set baseboard.

Jim
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Wetstuff, Yes it's a combo washer dryer. First trip we ever took DW hated going to laundromat so asked if I could put laundry facilities in coach. I'll take a couple of pics and post them. Here is another mod I did. Related to your bedroom head banger. Got rid of my front head banger. This picture is old, I replaced all the stuff in the right cabinet. Got rid of the Winnie installed Box Of Many Buttons.

It's on an articulated mount. It also made DW happy. I enjoy making mods. Cabinet maker by hobby.Just Maker by addiction to all things building.

Have a Great Day
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1867.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	170474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1869.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	170475  

Old 10-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Cool, You did an excellent job with that former paperweight up front. I was thinking about mounting one of my 27" iMacs on the rear slide wall.
...too many things first ...but I was also thinking I'd get Vialis smears on the screen if I broke habit and sat up straight. Cheers.

Jim
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It is gone... (I meant to say; Vitalis, the old hair oil, in my last post)

I thought I could simply tap into the underside and pull it out, but I had to knock off one of the front trims, then the other two, to expose the screws holding it to the wall. I am saving the bits in case I need some trim elsewhere. I'll cap that antenna outlet and leave the 110v outlet. The wall should patch easily.

Note: I am having difficulty finding a wood stain that comes close to match to their finish color.

One other thing - perhaps the best tool purchase I have made in a while is this Bosch drill ...and, the long bit. That little bugger is both long lasting and has plenty of punch. (I have two 20v battery drills but they are both bulky and heavy.) I buy refurbs so they're usually a much better deal. ...and, most bits are crap - this one, also a Bosch, shows no sign of tip-chipping.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headknocker1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	170499   Click image for larger version

Name:	headknocker2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	170500  

Name:	headknocker3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	170501  
Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Glad you got it out. I'd be lost without my Milwaukee cordless. Now I get to go fix my slide.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Good luck on that, Bill... The PO needed to fix mine befoe I got it. Her son is a bit of a dragcar builder genius-type. "He did not like this job!"

It turned out that there's some kind of synchro (I don't really know..) that prevents the R & L from getting out of alignment. I gather it was a real PITA to diagnose ..then sent the wrong parts.

Jim