Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removing carpet and slide action

I have read lots of posts of people replacing their carpeting and installing alternative flooring. The wife and I thought it would be nice to get rid of the carpet in the living area and replace it with the original vinyl squars that were in the kitchen. We removed all the carpeting in the living area up to just in back of the dog house and have been prepping for laying the vinyl. Is there an issue with the slide with out the carpet? It looks as though the slide is rubbing pretty hard on the plywood and I fear it may tear up any lino that we install. surely this has been done many times and there is a solution?
Thanks for any help that you can give us!

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

i believe the carpet is the only thing that can be used when the slides touch or roll on the floor...the lino, hardwood, etc can be used if the slides are built "not" to ride on the floor.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgagehomes View Post
I have read lots of posts of people replacing their carpeting and installing alternative flooring. The wife and I thought it would be nice to get rid of the carpet in the living area and replace it with the original vinyl squars that were in the kitchen. We removed all the carpeting in the living area up to just in back of the dog house and have been prepping for laying the vinyl. Is there an issue with the slide with out the carpet? It looks as though the slide is rubbing pretty hard on the plywood and I fear it may tear up any lino that we install. surely this has been done many times and there is a solution?
Thanks for any help that you can give us!
we installed allure composite planks and found it necessary to use scrap planks 24''- 36'' long for the slides to ride on when retracting the slides. check out my post with pictures.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
we installed allure composite planks and found it necessary to use scrap planks 24''- 36'' long for the slides to ride on when retracting the slides. check out my post with pictures.
I don't think the 2001 had the flat floor slide did it? I read in a previous thread something about worn or broken slide blocks, could this possibly be a problem? If it is a design problem surely someone has come up with a work around? Havnt they? I suppose I could find a way to fasten a strip of carpeting up under the slide so that it could slide on carpet across the lino but I am hoping for an easier fix or solution. Help, help!

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't think the 2001 had the flat floor slide did it? I read in a previous thread something about worn or broken slide blocks, could this possibly be a problem? If it is a design problem surely someone has come up with a work around? Havnt they? I suppose I could find a way to fasten a strip of carpeting up under the slide so that it could slide on carpet across the lino but I am hoping for an easier fix or solution. Help, help!
i do not have a flat slide floor. see pictures in previous post.
my slide blocks are ok.
the first time i retracted the slides after installing the new allure floor, the front slide scratched the new floor in 7 places and the rear slide in 1 place on the rear floor. i marked those locations.
i use scrap allure planks and lay them on the floor when retracting the slide to keep from damaging the floor further. when the slides are retracted, the strips stick out less than 1''. when the slides are extended, i pick the strips up and store them for next time.
a 1/8'' strip of anything 3''- 4'' wide and 24''- 36'' long would work.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I would love to see your pictures but I don't know how to find your original post.

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When the slide rides on carpet the slide rail is made out of plastic, when it rides on tile it is made of carpeting. Winnebago wanted over $1,000 to change slide rails. They said it was possible to tip the slide and and change them your self. I decided to leave enough carpeting in front of the couch to allow the slide to be completely retracted onto the carpet, but totally removed the carpet in the dining area. We redid the floor with vinyl tile and the combination of the majority of the slide riding on the carpet and the thickness of the vinyl tile works well for us and there isn't any scratching. There is also a commercial slide scratch prevention device which is two large pieces of plastic.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John, I will give winnie a call this morning and see if someone local can do this work.

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If someone figures out the correct procedures to tip the slide to gain access to the rail so it could be covered with carpet please post. I would like to change the carpet too but have been concerned about scratches.

Thanks,

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I spent a half an hour on the phone with the factory this morning. The carpeted "glide block" is available from winnebago. installation is by hyperextending the slide. A full session of adjusting the slide after that would be required to adjust for the difference of the height of the floor. It is possible but the factory guy says to find someone very comfortable with the process.

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I would love to see your pictures but I don't know how to find your original post.
use the search function at the top of the page below the banner. search for ''DAN L FLOOR'' .
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If the slide touches the floor on extension/retraction, wouldn't there be some kind of mark/indentation on the carpet? This is not meant to be a snarky question...I don't see any "marks" on my carpet so I'm hoping that mine would be fine with Allure? We also are anxious to get rid of the carpet. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
If the slide touches the floor on extension/retraction, wouldn't there be some kind of mark/indentation on the carpet? This is not meant to be a snarky question...I don't see any "marks" on my carpet so I'm hoping that mine would be fine with Allure? We also are anxious to get rid of the carpet. Thanks in advance.
i thought my slides would be ok with the allure because the slides didn't indent or mark the carpet.
i found out otherwise the first time i retracted the slides. there were scratches in 7 places on the front slide, 1 place on the rear slide. i don't know if it is the slide glides, debris, staples or whatever causing the scratches. at this point it doesn't matter. the scratches are very small.
my ''fix'' is to put 8 scrap allure strips down prior to retracting the slides to avoid deeper scratches.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
when I install flooring with slides, I bought an inspection camera to see if there is any debris in the path of the rollers when the slides are activated.