Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 04:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Removing bad decals

I own a 2005 Winnebago Journey, the paint is good, but the large "W" Winnebago decals look terrible. Does anyone have suggestions for removing them? I don't care if the paint underneath the decals doesn't match, it can't look worse than the aging decals.
Bill1446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Mine does not have full body paint, though I think I'd have tried the same thing if I did. Easier done on a warm, sunny day working on the sunny side of the rv, I used a hair dryer to warm the decals, then a plastic scraper to raise an edge. On some decals I could slowly peel off the decal in big pieces, warming with the hair dryer as I peeled (if really sunny, I barely needed the heat from the hair dryer). Other decals were in such bad shape, they crumbled and came off in tiny pieces with a scraper. I used acetone or goo gone to remove the residual adhesive. You can use a heat gun on low setting if you have one, but hair dryer was plenty of heat.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Follex-ERW-De.../dp/B00BMU9CEM
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I used WD-40 and just peeled it off with good success.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I have full body paint and the large w is also peeling. Only problem is that it's under the "ADVENTURER " letters. Any ideas on how to fix that?
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I striped off sun stroked black decals a few years back. Did one side using a heat gun with a lot of time and effort. The second side of the coach I used a 3M Eraser wheel in an eclectic drill. What took a weekend manually took an hour mechanically. Did not harm the underlying fiberglass.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Whe...s=eraser+wheel
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My 04 journey has the same issue. The w is really faded but it's under the journey decal. I don't know if they are two separate decals or one but I'd love to take it off
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had this done in Mexico this past February. We have a Tour, but the same applies. As mentioned, the "W" can be scraped off easiest in the sun. Do not remove the "Tour" "Adventurer" or whatever runs across, just carefully tape it off and work around it. After scraping, sand and use paint putty to prepare the area, tape it off and then prime/paint the section as usual.

A "gotcha" on mine was that the color of the section needing repaint on each side was slightly different - not a big deal but a few more bucks for another quart of paint.

There's a paragraph and some photos of my job here, scroll a little ways down to find it. I paid only a couple hundred bucks for both sides south of the border, probably 3x that much in the states but I would still have paid it. I love the clean new look and now I have NO stick-ons.
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

x2 on the 3m eraser wheel. just be careful not to burn the underlying fiberglass. it turns brown. the hair dryer softens the gelcoat on the fiberglass and lets you put small ruts in it. if you arent careful. its a pain either way. but the eraser works best imho
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

There are places that specialize in removing old decals and using CAD machines to cut new 3M one that are an exact match. New material have been developed and you can choose all kinds of new materials and finishes, if you want to go beyond just replacing the logos

I had my whole 2003 Pace Arrow stripped of all old decals and put new ones on of my choosing.

Came out looking like a brand new coach. My shop was in CA, but maybe someone knows of one nearer to you.