Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I need to replace my heater core. Has anyone removed the front cap to get to the core? And if so how hard was it? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I need to replace my heater core. Has anyone removed the front cap to get to the core? And if so how hard was it? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thats a shame, your coach is only 3 years old and you have to go to that extreme. I wouldn't want that job. Have you asked for a quote on how much it will cost to have a qualified dealer do it?
I know Winnebago didn't make the core, but it reeks of poor quality and even worse your out of warranty. I would ask, what warranty; 12 months 15,000 miles, heck thats just a road test.

Keep us dated as you go through this process.

Radarr
Old 09-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

My core was just replaced at my dealer without removing the front cap the job took a week they had to order the part first. Seems as though every one that has a 3-4 year old coach has to replace the core maybe its time for legal action. Winnebago semms to just close their eyes to the problem.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There is room for some techs to actually stand behind the front cap and replace the heater core. Replaced mine April 2005 on my 2002 Adventure through the front opening without removing AC refrigerant. Takes about 2 hours of back breaking leaning in through the opening and Lichtsinn Motors have the replacement kits in stock usually about $140.00 best I can remember. The heater core leak is way to common in MH's but the heater core is a piece of cake compared to the comfort aid core in the furnace duct system about 15 hour job.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I OWN A 2002 HORIZON AND HAVE REPLACED MY HEATER CORE TWICE!! LAST YEAR AT 30,OOO MILES . FREIGHTLINER REMOVED AND REPAIRED CORE. SAID IT WAS AS GOOD AS NEW. WRONG. JUST REPLACED HEATER CORE AGAIN AT 40,000 MILES. COMPLAINED TO WINNIEBAGO AND THEY SAID .....TOO BAD BUT ITS OUT OF WARRANTY. FIRST REPAIR COST $600 AND 2ND ONE WAS $900.
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey Don,
That frost my tail when I read those kind of problems. Heck man, thats a major undertaking let alone expensive. How many others are out there with the same problem and not getting them repair for just that reason? It seems, everyday has another problem and another story of horror.

Did they have to remove your front cap to get to it?

Radarr
Old 09-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
I would ask, what warranty; 12 months 15,000 miles, heck thats just a road test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radarr, You know this is a good question but it's one that I answered when I bought my new motorhome. I knew when I signed on the dotted line what the warranty was so I'm not going to second guess this in hindsight.

When we went back to the mother ship in Forest City, Winnebago Industries fixed quite a few things under good will out of warranty. This isn't a unique occurrence either. There's a post in this forum "Thanking" Winnebago for a good service experience in Forest City in that their experience was similar to mine and they received a good will repair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems, everyday has another problem and another story of horror </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I will say that you do have a flair for the melodramatic!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I also have replaced 2 of these at similar expense. On the second occasion they did remove the cap. I was under extended warranty the first time.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 AM   #10

I'm amused that many people seemed relieved to get "good service" out of Winnebago _after_ they have to take the coach back for something that should have been done correctly the first time.

I must admit however, that except for recalls I have not had to take my coach back to the dealer for anything. Fortunately, I've been able to track down and correct the source when problems arose. Others have "fixed" themselves.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
... "good service" out of Winnebago _after_ they have to take the coach back for something that should have been done correctly the first time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There are a lot of systems in a modern motorhome that are beyond the absolute control of the OEM such as plumbing fixtures and electrical appliances and electronics. Hardware for door attachments and other items that are purchased by the OEM that are integrated into the build and they could also fail. When we return to the factory it's a good thing that they stand behind these products.

Moving parts are influenced by such a wide operating environment that engineering a non-failure component would no doubt escalate the cost out of the reach of the average motorhome buyer. You actually have to stand back and look at the larger picture and just get a grasp of what it is we're trying to do. We're moving a house down the highway at 65 mph. It's a miracle that this entire motorhome thing works at all if you compare it to any other complex piece of machinery.

Comparing an MH to a car or truck is like comparing a nuclear reactor to a wood stove.

It's a good thing when systems never fail but if they should fail it's reassuring that we can get things fixed at the factory as a good will gesture.

Bottom line is I vote for "zero" defects and no failures for the entire time I own my motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Chaulk up two more. Both on mom's 1999 Adventurer, Ford chassis.

I replaced the second one, not too hard really. I also replumbled the hoses to it, the Ford shutoff valve was AFTER the core vs. before it. Bad one looked fairly bloated. Yes, the MotorAid and heater were still in the loop, but core was still at the end of a dead end loop when the valve was off possibly exposing it to high pressures. The first failure was blamed on the lack of an inline restrictor, but it was in place for the second one.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 39 journey, 02. Have fixed the heater core twice. First time 1500 dollars. Second time I did myself. Did not have to take off the front cap, but small arms would help. It took 3 hours and a new heater core. Cost about 150 dollars. Core is not strong enough.

Jon
jvolkens is offline   Reply With Quote