Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator won't turn on

I tried to post this earlier but must have not completed it.

Leaving Thursday on trip and the refrig. won't turn on. Not getting any elec. Can't change to propane cause the buttons don't light up. I checked the 12v breaker and pushed it in to reset (not sure it needed it) still nothing. Any ideas what else I can do. It is a new refrig. in a new coach but out of warranty now.

Winnebago picked it up early this year (from Arizona) and replaced the whole roof. It was bubbling for some reason. Just one of many many major problems with this coach from day one. they winterized it before taking it back to Iowa but did nothing but drop it off when they brought it back. They did the refrig recall at that time too.

Could there be something that they turned off and did not turn back on? It is plugged in to ac. Bought new in 2009 was a 2008 model Tour 40'. Four door refrig.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Is the battery disconnect in the disconnect position?

Ken
Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It is a rocker switch and no matter which way it push it nothing changes. The microwave works but the air cond did not switch on. That rocker switch beeps when I push it to the off position but does not when I push it to the on position.

I am learning to really hate this motorhome. Have had three others and no problems. This one just about everything in it has failed most during the warranty thank goodness.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

Did you check to make sure that the New Control Box that was installed with the Norcold recall hasn't got a RED light lit up on it?

If so, then it will not allow 12 volt power to the control board and will shut off ALL power to the coach.

There have been numerous failures with various versions of these POS control boards. They are up to version E or F possibly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Richard, I checked the recall thing at the yellow tag, there is a tiny red light bulb there but it is not lit. Could there be a fuse somewhere for the refrig?

When Winnebago winterized it could there be some re-set button that needs to be pushed? I've never had one winterized since I live in Hot Arizona and I know they did not undo the winterizing. They did not refill the tanks with water and I found a water heater bypass winterizing switch that needed turned back on.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

After exhausting everything I could think of, I found that the red light on the control panel for the inverter was on. the display read, Charger Off, Battery too hot. I found that error code in the manual but it doesn't say much other than the inverter will shut off the power at 104 to 112 degrees. Well the temp here today was 117 in the shade. The fan was running at the SPS. inverter.

I'm thinking that is the problem. I made sure the inverter was off and lowered the amp max to 20. (it was on 30) I don't know why the inverter would be on. The coach is always hooked up to shore line. Is that not good?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Your refer problem sounds like lack of 12v supplied to the circuit board. The inverter could certainly cause that if the batteries are low. With that heat, did you check the water in the batteries?

I too have a refer problem. Mine is 2 months out of warranty, a new Norcold 1211 model. Other than the recall needing to be done 3 times, (while driving) a pin hole was melted in the water line to the ice maker, and having the cooling quit last week, it has worked great during our first year living full time in the new RV.

Unlike yours, mine acts like it is working perfectly, no error codes, can turn on and off, change modes and temp settings. Propane sounds like it is burning great when selected, top cooling fans cycle on every now and then, just no cooling. (did get it once during the last week, warm for several days, then dropped to 10 degrees, then after another day, back to warm, until finally no cold at all this last weekend.

Very frustrating for a new unit. Norcold made their position very clear, take to dealer, if related to recall then under warranty, but if not, then my problem!

Now I need to decide to either fix it, or possibly replace with one of those residential Samsung 197 models I have read about??
Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Is the fridge plugged into the wall socket? They unplug it when they do the recall.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
After exhausting everything I could think of, I found that the red light on the control panel for the inverter was on. the display read, Charger Off, Battery too hot. I found that error code in the manual but it doesn't say much other than the inverter will shut off the power at 104 to 112 degrees. Well the temp here today was 117 in the shade. The fan was running at the SPS. inverter.

I'm thinking that is the problem. I made sure the inverter was off and lowered the amp max to 20. (it was on 30) I don't know why the inverter would be on. The coach is always hooked up to shore line. Is that not good?
All of the lights, the control board for the fridge, the AC blower, LP detector, water pump and a number of other things I can't remember off hand are all powered by the house batteries regardless of whether you're plugged into shore power or not. The inverter/charger monitors the state of the batteries and charges them as necessary.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Check your house batteries. Sounds like they are either shot or offline.
Frank O.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

polson,

The lack of lights on the control panel is an indication of NO 12VDC. Does the interior light come on when you open the refrigerator door? Possibly not.

The whole refrigerator is dependent on 12VDC. Even if it is set for "Auto" or "AC" mode. The control circuit board is just that - it operates on 12VDC and controls everything as far as the refrigerator is concerned.

I would recommend checking to see if you actually have 12VDC at the back of the refrigerator. Take a VOM and meter out the 12VDC wires going to the control board. If there isn't any there, you will need to check out your 12VDC system thoroughly. If it is there, you may have blown the 12 volt fuse on the board. Take the control board's black cover off and check that out.

Hope this helps.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Still working on this problem. Called a mobile repair tech. He removed the control board from the outside of the refig, put in a new one. Not the problem. Says there is 12v coming into everything except the Display board. ( the cold/coldest/set temp/mode/on off part on the door) Will have to order that part, 189.00 plus shipping plus labor ect.

Norcold says out of warranty, my paperwork says 3 years, purchased new just under 2 years ago. NOT Feeling very confident in the young man who serviced it, he was on the phone with someone asking what to try next all the time and simply did what we did except for trying new parts all along the way.

I guess my question is: The main control board on the coach has a red light that says Charger OFF, Batteries High Heat. Any possibility that has anything to do with it? It goes off late at night when the outside temp goes down to about 100. (day is running 115-118). The house and motor batteries are at 12.4.

One more thing anyone know the part number for that display control board, the refrig. is a 1211 IM.

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions, We appreciate it a bunch!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
I guess my question is: The main control board on the coach has a red light that says Charger OFF, Batteries High Heat. Any possibility that has anything to do with it? It goes off late at night when the outside temp goes down to about 100. (day is running 115-118). The house and motor batteries are at 12.4.
Polson,

The refer will accept DC volatge from 10.5 to 15.4 and consider it normal (Model 1200 Service Manual). When you say the batteries are at 12.4, at what time of day is this?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Any time of day. The batteries do not seem to change. The coach is plugged into a 30 amp shoreline.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: This has nothing to do with your problem, but the house battery should measure about 13.6 to 13.7 volts if it is being charged properly. The way to troubleshoot this kind of thing is just to get out the voltmeter and follow the 12 volts from the input to the control board and on the the display. Somewhere it fails and this needs attention. Could be something as simple as a connector or wire or fuse.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator