Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator won't cool on gas

We just returned from a trip and lost about a hundred dollars worth of food when our Refrigerator quit working while on gas. It works ok on electric. My Winnebago service is having difficulty tracking down the issue. You can hear the gas ignite and the burner is working. Has anyone else experience this problem and have a suggestion I can pass on ? second question, can I run the generator while traveling down the highway to keep in coach cool in the back? thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can run the generator while traveling all you want without any negative effects to the MH or gen. In fact it's important you give the gen a work out at least once a month for an hour under 50%+ load.

As to the refrig I have no idea.

Good luck

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar issue and it wound up being a plugged orifice and stack.
Even though I could hear the gas ignite it was spread everywhere instead of a clean blue flame.
I cleaned the orifice and stack, she's nice and cold again.
ph2ocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would go with either burner problem or control board problem seeing as how it fuctions on electric. However would double check manual change over switch to insure is in proper mode first. Been there and done that once.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You didn't say what fridge Norcold or Dometic or age. Both would need the flue cleaned and tapped for rust particles with the burner covered and than clean with vac. If was not run before on gas you may have cobwebs in burner tube or mud dabbers.
You said fridge works on electric could have use Gen to keep it running and wouldn't have lost food.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy still looking for help

The refrigerator is a Norcold. had it in the shop for a week and they cannot diagnose the problem. they've talked to Norcold and Winnebago who of course refers them back to Norcold. it seems that each time service calls Norcold it is try this or replace this. and each time you have to wait hours to see if it worked. now they want them to replace the burner unit and if that doesn't work the cooling unit. to make matters worse, service wants me to pay for their time and materials while we're playing this hit and miss game. and of course my extended warranty won't approve anything until they know exactly what is going to fix the issue. so i'm still looking for suggestions.. this past weekend I dry camped and kept the unit on gas and the freezer worked fine. it's just the refrigerator that won't cool. and again, it works ok on electric. not being a refrigeration man, can anyone explain why it will work on electric and not gas, and why does the freezer cool but not the refrigerator. thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I ended up blowing the chimney out with my air compressor and a 1/4" aluminum tube, a lot of black soot came out with the air. It cooled just as good on gas & electric after that.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

This is most definately the problem. Nephew just bought a 30 TT and took it for a shakedown trip. Came back complaining of the same thing, refer not cooling on gas. Freezer was ok, just warm fridge. I took off the little box that is installed around the burner, blew it out with compressed air, (got a ton of rust, dust, and soot out. ran a small wire brush across the burner, (lightly) and it works just peachy now fridge is cold on gas or elec. There really can't be anything wrong with the cooling unit, if it works on elec, as both heat sources use the same cooling unit. Logic says that it has to be a burner problem. Also, make sure some creature, didn't build a nest or web or other kind of home in the flue. good luck. BTW, blow out the burner tube too.
Kerry