Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator Problem/Question

In getting ready for a trip, I turned the refrigerator on to get it cold. The coach is plugged into shore power in my back yard.

I checked on it after two hours and the freezer portion is really cold, the refrigerator section very warm. It was working perfectly ten days ago when we returned from a trip.

It is a Norcold Model N61RT, which is original equipment.

Even though it is plugged into a strong 30a circuit, the invertor fan (?) is running.

Any suggestions??

Thanks --
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Look for a plastic slider on one of the fins in the fridge side. Slide it all the way up and see if it gets colder.

Dick
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

To 'TheBerrys',

The inside is not cold at all, not even cool. Feels just like it did a couple of hours ago after being off for 10 days, sitting in the sun.

Freezer cold, NOTHING below.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Is the freezer near 0°? What reading are you getting in the refrigerator compartment?
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewNTexas View Post
In getting ready for a trip, I turned the refrigerator on to get it cold. The coach is plugged into shore power in my back yard.

I checked on it after two hours and the freezer portion is really cold, the refrigerator section very warm.
Sounds about normal to me after only two hours. I usually turned mine on at night so it would be cool the next morning. The freezer always got colder quicker than the refer. Just a thought.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Agree, with Wannabe. After a prolong period of not using fridge and then turning it back on, we won't even look at our thermometers until the next day as initially, we found ourselves in the same situation as you are ...after checking after a couple of hours, the refrigerator section wasn't close to being our ideal 34-36° when the freezer section was already getting close to our ideal 0°. So yes, the freezer usually shows normal before the refrigerator from what we've observed.

Give it overnight and see if your are getting normal readings ...0° in the freezer and 36° in the refrigerator (± 3° or so).
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It take 12 to 24 hours to get the refrigerator section cold.

Ken
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You guys were right. Checked this AM and frig. is cold.

I guess I was borrowing trouble.

This unit took much more time to cool that any of the other four I have had over the years.

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

I never turn the fridge off. Always leave a few items in it, and ice in the freezer. That way it's always ready to go as is the crown and soda and lemon juice and cherries. Coach is always plugged in when we are home 27-7-365. Also keeps all the batts charged up.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I found placing one of those small battery powered fans in the bottom of the refrigerator portion helped keep it colder and the temps more even...The one we have lasts about 1 month before i have to replace the batteries.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I never turn the fridge off. Always leave a few items in it, and ice in the freezer. That way it's always ready to go as is the crown and soda and lemon juice and cherries. Coach is always plugged in when we are home 27-7-365. Also keeps all the batts charged up.
X2
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator