Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

refrigerator insect screens

I have a 2013 view 24V with the Dometic refrigerator. I cannot for the life of me find the correct vent screens for this particular make. It has two separate vent doors. They each have two 18" long vent openings. All I have found was the 3 vent pack by camco for Dometic 19 1/4" in length. Those are roughly $30 a pack and only contain 3 screens. therefore, I would have to purchase two of them.
If any of you have conquered this problem please let me know.

Thanks

Mark
markbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I bought flexible screening material from the local ACE and glued it to the back of the hatch. Never moves, total cost 2 bucks.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

markbo53, I used Vent Screen from Lowes. Cut it strips and hot glued it to the back of the vents.
Shop New York Wire 8-in x 100-ft Charcoal Fiberglass Screen Wire at Lowes.com
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnie refrigerator vents are typically smaller than other mfg'ers. That is one of the normal frustrations of service tech doing refrigerator work on Winnies. Another is that Winnie typically secures the refrigerator much more so than other mfg'ers ...ie. "glued" in with sealant, and bolted to the coach on top.

I looked for bug screens but never found any that worked. Now that I have a residential refrig the vents are sealed up.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
markbo53, I used Vent Screen from Lowes. Cut it strips and hot glued it to the back of the vents.
Shop New York Wire 8-in x 100-ft Charcoal Fiberglass Screen Wire at Lowes.com

X2 on vent screen from Lowes, works well.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info. I decided to get the screen at Lowe's for about $10 and took me all of about 45 mins to complete the job myself.

Thanks again everyone.

Mark
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #7

I was advised to place a piece of pet flea collar in the vent areas to keep small spiders from nesting and making webs in there.
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Insects in your vents

Is there any thing that can be put in the areas of vents such as putting dryer cloths in your motor home to reduce mice infiltrated ??
Tony gu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I previously worked as a "purchase guide" at a major RV dealer in Oregon, giving walk-throughs when customers picked up their new, used, big, little motorhomes. We were trained to tell the customers about the flea collar in the refrigerator and water heater compartments. I've continued to do this on my motorhome using half of the flea collar in each area.

I use a screen on the furnace made specifically for that model.

I'm wondering if residential screen material being as fine as it is, cuts down on the air flow for a refrigerator?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

I was told today by a tech at a Keystone dealer in Amarillo TX that screes now void the warranty!!! Is that true?
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I previously worked as a "purchase guide" at a major RV dealer in Oregon, giving walk-throughs when customers picked up their new, used, big, little motorhomes. We were trained to tell the customers about the flea collar in the refrigerator and water heater compartments. I've continued to do this on my motorhome using half of the flea collar in each area.

I use a screen on the furnace made specifically for that model.

I'm wondering if residential screen material being as fine as it is, cuts down on the air flow for a refrigerator?
Hey Ken,
I recently finished a 3 week trip in my View. during that time I would periodically check the refrigerator vents and didn't notice any change in heat buildup or distribution. Nor did I encounter any problem with the operation of the fridge. for my RV it seems to work just fine. also, no critters!
Mark
Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Camper Ken, the key is to use vent screen not the normal screen wire used on windows.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Camper Ken, the key is to use vent screen not the normal screen wire used on windows.
Good to mention that, as some people (including me) thought the reference was to residential window screen material.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I was told today by a tech at a Keystone dealer in Amarillo TX that screes now void the warranty!!! Is that true?
There's always a possibility of leaves, cottonwood fuzz or other debris collecting on the screens, so likely that's manufacturers recommend against using screens on refrigerator, furnace and water heater vents.

I've used the screens that are specifically made for furnace and water heater and checked them regularly and had no problems.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Good to mention that, as some people (including me) thought the reference was to residential window screen material.
I should have mentioned that I too used the flexible window screen material from Lowes, (see my prior post). Since my RV is out of warranty It didn't concern me. Again, no problems with using this setup. My view has 2 separate vent doors with 2 cutouts in each. therefore, it has lots of airflow. may be the difference between the 3 cutout vents. the actual outside vent screen material I looked at in Lowes was metal and appeared to have larger openings than the window screen which I thought small insects could still navigate through.
Hope this helps some.

Mark
Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #16

I was talking about the screens sold at RV dealers specifically for the vents. Appears some now claim that will void the warranty. I can see that a residential screen may cut down on air flow but I don't think the kind the RV dealers sell would cut down on the flow. Oh well, just thought it was interesting as I had not heard it before. Thanks for all the replies - good info.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, scr