Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Refrigerant for dash air

Just converted a 93 Brave from R12 to R134A, can anyone tell me how many pounds of refrigerant is needed to fill?
Thanks, Mike
firenfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'd suggest using a full manifold gauge set that will allow you to measure high and low side pressures. Use a chart to show pressures vs temperature and fill until you reach proper pressures. Lots more accurate than filling by weight or volume. Your system doesn't hold much more than an auto system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I am with the other poster.. There may be a sticker or metal tag with the info on it in the engine compartment or near the Compressor however.

NOTE: R-134 is not as good at moving heat so you may not be happy with the result.... Solution is to fire up roof air to assist if needed.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd suggest using a full manifold gauge set that will allow you to measure high and low side pressures. Use a chart to show pressures vs temperature and fill until you reach proper pressures. Lots more accurate than filling by weight or volume. Your system doesn't hold much more than an auto system.
Have gauges, just trying to get an idea of how much R134A to have on hand before I start. I won't be buying a large 30 pound can.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There should be a label around the evaporator. By the way, did you evacuate and change drier?
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
There should be a label around the evaporator. By the way, did you evacuate and change drier?
There was no refrigerant in the system when I purchased the unit a few weeks ago. My neighbor put on a new Schrader valve, new drier plus another part, just trying to figure out how much R134A to purchase in advance as it's much cheaper buy on line.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Your auto parts store has a can of freon with oil in it. The can has a hose on it-and a gauge that shows red & green areas. Put somebody in the Coach, put the fan on high, with the A/C on, of Course, add freon till it is cold-then quit adding.

If the Compressor does not kick on-short across the low pressure switch wit a paper clip.

If you want to use your gauges-go for it- but they will just make the program more complicated, and you will have to add an oil/freon can as well
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When R-134 became the only legal refrigerant available for automotive use, we converted all our R-12 vehicles. Use a vacuum pump and evacuate the system, add the new oil and add a volume of R-134 to equal 80% of the required R-12 volume. I don't remember the source for the 80% number but I do remember that figure and it did work as advertised.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dash air