Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just brought home our new (to us) motor home (2002 35U) and found red fluid dripping on the propane tank. I was very surprised to find such a leak with only 12K miles on the coach. After hours of cleaning the bottom of the coach and the propane tank, I found the source of the leak coming through a penetration in the floor where two hydraulic lines came through. Got inside and took the floor of the bed out and found that the fluid appears to be coming from the bedroom slide assembly. This was as far as I could get. Also, just above the propane tank one of the hoses has a very small slit that drips fluid. How can I get access to the end of the hose at the assembly so I can find the source of the leak and remove the hose for repair.?
This is our 4th motor home, all being Winnebago products, and I am very disappointed with this situation.
Also, this is my second post on the site, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, TD
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just brought home our new (to us) motor home (2002 35U) and found red fluid dripping on the propane tank. I was very surprised to find such a leak with only 12K miles on the coach. After hours of cleaning the bottom of the coach and the propane tank, I found the source of the leak coming through a penetration in the floor where two hydraulic lines came through. Got inside and took the floor of the bed out and found that the fluid appears to be coming from the bedroom slide assembly. This was as far as I could get. Also, just above the propane tank one of the hoses has a very small slit that drips fluid. How can I get access to the end of the hose at the assembly so I can find the source of the leak and remove the hose for repair.?
This is our 4th motor home, all being Winnebago products, and I am very disappointed with this situation.
Also, this is my second post on the site, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, TD
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

These hoses seems to leak at any time for no reason, other than poor quality. My 2004 Meridian had a leak under the living room slide when it was only 3 month old and had to have one of the hoses replaced. 9 months later while at Forest City for some warranty work, they found a lead in the front passenger side storage compartment pertaining to the living room slide. Now I have a very small drip someplace in the passenger side rear storage compartment, which must be part of one of the slides but haven't had a chance to dig into it further. If there's fluid flowing thru it, it will leak. Sorry can't help you on the location problem.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TigeDuner:
Thanks, TD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HWH had a bad batch of hoses around that time and has been covering the replacement of the faulty parts. If you have the work done through a dealer they may provide all the parts and five hours of labor even on units that are seven years old.

I had to be remind the dealer to check out the HWH bulletins on defective hoses when I brought my 35U in for repair. The were going to have hoses made up locally or match them up from what they had in stock and charge me for what could potentially have been more hoses from the same bad batch.

The HWH service bulletin on this was published in 2004 if memory serves me correctly so I am more dissapointed in the dealerships and service centers who have been doing non-complient hacked up repairs on these systems for the past four years instead of contacting HWH who stepped up to the plate on this issue so long ago.

At a decent service center this repair may cost you nothing however some may try to get an extra hour or so of labor from you.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had my bedroom slide hoses replaced last year in my 02 Horizon free...Some hoses used in 02 were to small and leak at the fitting because off excess pressure...The fix is a larger diameter hose and HWH will cover it.....All the small diameter hoses need to be replaced or they will leak at some point...If I remember right,a kit was sent to my dealer with 4 hoses in it..Get the numbers off the hose that is leaking if you can and give HWH a call...
Here's the link to the service bulletin

http://www.hwh.com/mi9550.pdf
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

Movin-on, welcome to the forum.

We look forward to your participation in the forums.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the welcome Dirk...I look forward to helping if I can and being helped...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

TigeDuner;

Welcome to the forum & the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. We are glad to have you join us. I am on my 3rd MH with HWH jacks & slides. I had 2 leaks with hose ends. I was informed by them that they some problems with ends leaking. I was able to plan a camping trip that took me near Moscow, IA and made an appointment to have the leaks repaired. HWH is a customer oriented company and they will do their best to help you.

Post often and keep us advised of your travel experiences.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

movin-on;

Welcome to the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum and IRV2. We believe we are the friendliest site on the INTERNET. Post often and don't hesitate to ask questions if the need arises. We have a great bunch of people here with a lot of Winnebago experience.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago/HWH got a bunch of bad hoses from the supplier. Contact HWH and ask them what to do. Both my '02 Itasca and a buddy's 01 ADventurer had identical problems.

dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I believe the system comes with a clear hydraulic fluid but transmission fluid (red) is a substitute. That would mean the leak has been an ongoing problem and if you bought it from a dealer, they might feel obligated to repair it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the information about HWH and the bad hoses. One of the hoses actually leaks right through the hose after the end was crimped on. Wipe the drip away and it comes right back. I will contact HWH and see if they can help.
Thanks again, TD
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, HWH has stepped up and said they would take of the problem. The RV goes to La Mesa in Tucson next Monday for the reapirs. Should have it back in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again guys, TD
Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Tigeduner
Did you have the hoses involved in the service bulletin?
I had 2 leaks in my 2002 Journey rear sldeout area. I spoke with HWH and identified mine as not the ones involved in the service buletin.
Anyway I just bought 2 hoses just this morning from HWH and set up an appointment to have them installed at their recommended repair facility, Acacia RV in Colton.
Not complaining as I thought that was fair.
But real curious if they stepped up for you with non service bulletin hoses or not.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Fortunately for me, my hoses were the ones listed in the service sheet. We will see if it is truely a no cost trip to the dealer. I will report back in a couple of weeks when the work is complete. Good luck with yours. TD
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Just picked up the RV from La Mesa RV here in Tucson. HWH did step up and cover the entire cost of the repairs. Our service writer said the bill to do only the rear hoses was about $900.00. The front hoses were done previously by the original Owner. La Mesa did an excellent job calling every day to let me know the status of the parts and when the work would be done. Many thanks to Joseph and La Mesa RV and HWH for following through with this issue.