Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recommended Tools for my RV

We're brand new to this RV thing and we're driving 6hrs north to Camping World -Madison WI next week to pick up our 32YE Sunstar. What tools do you all carry with you in your rigs? I'm a mechanical engineer and have a lot of tools, but no idea what sizes are being used on these things? I'm sure I'll figure it all out after our first couple trips, but looking for any help I can get on the front end just in case we have troubles on our maiden voyage back home.

Thanks all,
JSands72
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Personally, I am a craftsman freak and look for any excuse to buy new tools... I would recommend your typical wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. In addition, I would also recommend a good set of screwdriver bits. Craftsman is currently running a sale on a couple different sets. I like these kit because they have all of the unusual bits that are sometimes used on a motorhome. Lastly, never hurts to have a drill, drill bits, allen wrenches, and pex crimping tool. This would be a good start...

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rossi

The Pex tool is something I probably wouldn't have thought of until it was too late. Do the water lines have issues from time to time? Is there a standard line size these Winnys use by chance? Looking around at Pex tools, most aren't real cheap and they come in various sizes. Some are 3-in-1 of course, but they seem to run a little more. Did you buy one of the $25 crimpers, or go for the more expensive ones? I'll have to look around when we pick ours up and see what's doin' in there. Thanks for the tip.

I planned to pick up a multimeter as well. Figured the electronics would be one of the first things to cause an issue.

BTW, Craftsman fan as well. Love strolling through the SEARS tool section.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We sometimes travel in out of the way places. I have the special tools that I need to raise the jacks manually and the tools needed to close the slides manually. As an example one slide requires a 8 point socket, that I had to special order from sears. I have downloaded all the manuals onto a computer, so I don't need internet connection. Having these tools would keep me from waiting a day or two on a repairman.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One tool I now have is a 4 way lug wrench for the toad. I had a blow out about one month ago, and I couldn't get the lug nuts off with the whimpy wrench that came with the jeep. Of course I was in an area without any cell service. There was a good person that stopped and sent back a man with a impact wrench.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have the preparedness affliction too. Retired Industrial Maintenance/journeyman electrician/electronics tech/combustion tech/level II vibration analyst/certified industrial mechanic/anything else that needed fixed tech.

I too carry all of the above. In addition, in my "little tote of many parts", I carry some lengths of Eternabond, Pex fittings, short pieces of Pex tubing, fuses, crimp connectors, wire nuts, some various sizes of wire, wire ties, soldering iron & solder, Tech screws, WD40, small tube of silicon, Gorilla tape, electrical tape, 6 ton bottle jack, ratchet straps, OBDII code reader/reset device, thread tape, heavy tow strap, socket set, small stash of screws & hardware, jumper cables, and.... there's more but that's all I can think of from the top of what's left of my head. Amazingly it all fits nicely in one of the smaller basement storage compartments. Over the decades that stuff has come in handy many times.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsands72 View Post
The Pex tool is something I probably wouldn't have thought of until it was too late. Do the water lines have issues from time to time? Is there a standard line size these Winnys use by chance? Looking around at Pex tools, most aren't real cheap and they come in various sizes. Some are 3-in-1 of course, but they seem to run a little more. Did you buy one of the $25 crimpers, or go for the more expensive ones? I'll have to look around when we pick ours up and see what's doin' in there. Thanks for the tip.

I planned to pick up a multimeter as well. Figured the electronics would be one of the first things to cause an issue.

BTW, Craftsman fan as well. Love strolling through the SEARS tool section.
You will have to check the schematics for your motorhome, but I believe most of the water lines (at least in my motorhome) are 1/2 inch. I bought 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inch crimp fittings just in case. When looking for a Pex tool, I was more concerned about the size of the actual tool. I tried to find the smallest one possible so I could get it in tight places if I needed to.

I also have a multimeter and agree it is a good thing to have for a motorhome.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This is our 2nd MH, never had a water line issue. Not that it can't happen just don't think it's all that common. Definitely a multi-meter. You've got 12v chassis wiring, 12v coach wiring, 120v coach wiring, generators, converters, transfer switches. I think a multi-meter is probably #1 on the list. I carry screwdrivers, small 3/8"-1/4" socket set. Wrench set, SAE and metric. Hex and torque bits. I don't carry 1/2" socket set. Don't plan on doing that kind of work on the side of the road or in a campground.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

A battery powered drill along with a set of bits. Amazingly handy at times. Selection of zip ties. Great for emergency repairs. Gorilla Tape. (I hit some tire tread on I-10 a couple of years ago. Tape and zip ties kept the plastic fender around the front right tire in pace till I could get a proper fix done.)
2912N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'd recommend getting one of those 1/4" square drive screwdrivers. It seems my whole camper is put together with those screws.....including access panels. The multi-meter is another good tool to diagnose problems. Bottle jack and lug wrench to change out a flat tire.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsands72 View Post
We're brand new to this RV thing and we're driving 6hrs north to Camping World -Madison WI next week to pick up our 32YE Sunstar. What tools do you all carry with you in your rigs? I'm a mechanical engineer and have a lot of tools, but no idea what sizes are being used on these things? I'm sure I'll figure it all out after our first couple trips, but looking for any help I can get on the front end just in case we have troubles on our maiden voyage back home.

Thanks all,
JSands72
We bought a hand tool set specifically to leave in the coach permanently.

I also carry and array of cordless tools. (Drill, Saw, Impact) I carry a set of impact sockets that include one that fit the lug nuts.

I carry plenty of air hose and a pancake compressor (now I have a DP I don't need the compressor)

I also carry electrical testing equipment.

Some other things to consider is an assortment of fuses, connectors, and screws. I have found that these come in handy.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The important ones for me are the electric mulitmeter (looks like fun but rarely can figure it out), Pex tool, Pex cutter, electric screw driver (battery operated), good set of SAE and metric wrenches with a thorough assortment of sizes, grease gun, air compressor (powerful enough to fill your tires) and more. That and an assortment of screw drivers , extra clamps, and a few other common sense tools make a nice kit. These are the most used by me. I also carry a few feet of extra pex and a few extra common fittings.

To be thorough though, if you go to Harbor Freight and buy everything they have it pretty well covers your needs. Its worked well for me -- but for some reason it all won't fit in the motorhome.

By all means take a hammer- I found if I hit most things they get fixed (well not really)
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
The important ones for me are the electric mulitmeter (looks like fun but rarely can figure it out), Pex tool, Pex cutter, electric screw driver (battery operated), good set of SAE and metric wrenches with a thorough assortment of sizes, grease gun, air compressor (powerful enough to fill your tires) and more. That and an assortment of screw drivers , extra clamps, and a few other common sense tools make a nice kit. These are the most used by me. I also carry a few feet of extra pex and a few extra common fittings.

To be thorough though, if you go to Harbor Freight and buy everything they have it pretty well covers your needs. Its worked well for me -- but for some reason it all won't fit in the motorhome.

By all means take a hammer- I found if I hit most things they get fixed (well not really)
The tool set that I keep in the rig permanently is a Pittsburgh set from Harbor Freight.

Great set with about anything you could need for $199.00
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

this sounds like a list i will have... :-) Everything but the kitchen sink just in case. I don't like it when things aren't working correctly and if i can figure out a way to fix it I like to fix it. Gotta have supplies and tools though. Great list. Thanks so much!!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Great list AmericanRascal. Thanks for the input. Several on here i added to my list.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Great tip BadLands. Thanks,
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

One of the first things i ordered was the multi-meter. I've been wanting one for a while so it went in the cart. Great excuse to make the purchase

thanks 70ChevelleSS
Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

thompwil... You mention the OBDII code reader/reset device. Had to use that much before, or just something you have for your vehicles in general?

We're picking up our 2017 32YE next weekend. It's our first and we stoked. Can't wait.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Funny you mentioned going to Madison WI to get your RV as my wife and I did the same thing on the 28th of December of 2017 flying out of Seattle through Chicago, and on to Madison to purchase our Sunstar LX27N. We checked one bag that had all our basic tools ie pliers, cresent wrench, screwdrivers, snow socks and a variety of basics needed for a 2400 mile trip. Luckily even with the weather and cold front that hit the mid west and eastern side of the US, we dipped down to I-80 and bypassed a majority of bad weather and road closures had we taken I-90. And luckily the only real problem we had was the leveling system alarming constantly the morning of the second day. We were excited the Good Sam assistance number actually worked and a great guy from Texas who works for Camping World got us up and running again! Good luck with your new purchase and your maiden voyage!
Duckbill59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I also have some industrial Velcro and a small assortment of command-hooks. Inevitably, I will hear a rattle or thumping that I can easily address while I am hearing it on the road. There a billions of uses for Velcro, Cable-ties, Small bungees, teflon tape, and tube of silicone!~
Egghead4life is offline   Reply With Quote