Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

There can never be enough tools! I like to also carry a 150psi 110v compressor (I can run off the 2000w PSW inverter), 6T bottle jack, extra fuel line filter (don't forget the tool and tie strap it next to the inline filter so you won't lose it), extra generator fuel filter, distilled water for batteries and coolant, Zerex G5 (F-53 coolant), 2 qts oil, 2 qts trans fluid, pt. steering fluid, battery charger/tender, roofer's hatchet, dielectric grease, flexible high heat sealant tape, tire plug kit, hazard reflectors/light, silicone spray (better than WD-40 for hydraulic lift rams). Items earlier mentioned, like multimeter, sockets, electrical wire and connectors, fuses, long heavy guage jumpers, etc. are a must. DW has her kitchen items, DH has his tools.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Contrary to a previous post, this is our 4th MH and I have had minor to severe water leaks in all 4. Get a VOM meter, a plug in voltage meter. “Channel locks”, 2 pair for water hose, a 6 in one screwdriver and a rubber mallet. These are your basic emergency tools. The other item would be 3 flashlights. One inside, one in the wet bay and one in the tool box. This way you should’ve able to find one of them when needed.

The best tool would be a computer/tablet to communicate on line for trouble shooting.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

In addition to the multimeter, make sure you have a good selection of electrical connectors, electrical tape, shrink tubing, a wire stripper and an appropriate crimper. And buy some insulated, stranded "hook-up" wire (red and black). 16 to 14 gauge is OK for general use but be careful to not go smaller than what's already in use for similar purposes.

I've found that, when it comes to plumbing and electrical, it's never clear exactly what I need when I'm at the store so. Like buying sprinkler parts for home, I buy three, use one and end up with two in my parts bin for future use. If I need three feet of wire, I buy six and have three in reserve. Maybe this is why my garage is so full of stuff.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

There is a blogger I follow named Ray Burr. He has a good video about full timing tools to carry. Although he really is only a part timer and owns a fifth wheel- much of the stuff he carries would apply to anyone rv'ing. Only one thing I'd add- Most of the time everyone has their tools stored in one big tool box (or maybe two)- usually located in a dedicated baggage compartment. I found that I use only a few tools and materials constantly when I'm hooking up at rv parks. For those, I carry a very small tool box in my utility bay which is always close to where I'm working. There's a medium crescent wrench, channel locks, screwdriver, Teflon tape, a flow restrictor, and a few other odds and ends in there. I find this much more convenient than going to my big box on the other side. I can also carry it around if I need to help someone else close by.

puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

I'd also recommend an oscillating multi-tool. I've used mine quite a bit for jobs requiring delicate and accurate sawing (holes in paneling for equipment panels, etc.) The inexpensive Harbor Freight corded model is fine for occasional use and is under $20. My Ryobi One Plus cordless one doesn't work as well as the Harbor Freight corded model.

The multi-tool is more versatile (cuts, sands, scrapes, etc.) and more controllable than a jigsaw.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Exactly. Good one.
Egghead4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Was dean your salesman? He mentioned a couple just like you that came from Washington state so I’m assuming it was you. How was your overall experience there? He seems to be a pretty good guy but the finance team leaves a little room for improvement from what we can tell so far. . Pretty typical though.
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Yes, you need all the tools you can think of. However, relating to my first cross-country trip, picking up a sight-unseen, new to us, used RV, I found the obvious. First thing, wow, did we have fun, first Class A, 2600 miles from home, heading out, knowing our destination, but little else. We had no tools, and little else with us, as you couldn't carry much with you on the airlines. After 150 miles of driving, we stopped at a truck stop, fueled up, and bought some things. A roll of duct tape, a little box of assorted screws, nuts, and bolts. A roll of electrical wire. A knife, and a small tool kit with small sockets and screwdriver with various tips. Also wanted a pair of vise-grips.
And off we drove . . .
First off, as we drove further, we started hearing a pounding flapping noise near the front wheel well, oh no a tire? Turns out, a piece of rubber trim had come loose, and was flapping against the side of the door. A screw and duct tape fixed that.
Next problem, we knew there was a problem with the a/c dash control knob that the dealer had fixed before we left . . .not. 2nd day, it fell back into the dash. And this was July, we needed a/c. So that night, learned how to take the dash apart, (screw driver and vise-grips) rebuild the mount for the a/c switch with duct tape and wire, worked for the next four years until we sold the rig. 4th day, got ready to head out, and the engine would not start, starter would click, but no start. Found the grounding point for the engine wires back under the engine area, loosened the cables, (socket set), scraped the metal some (knife), re-secured the cables, and off we went. 6th day, driving up the continental divide in Montana, noticed in the rear view mirror, a part of the side panel by the rear tires, was bowing out in the wind as we were driving. Checked it out, and sure enough, the glue holding that part of the fiberglass panel to the metal frame had come loose. I knew how to fix it with clamps and proper adhesive, but I was parked on a narrow shoulder, at 6000 foot elevation, on busy I90 in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Not knowing were the next rest area would be, I got out on the ground, traffic side, of course, laid under where the rear tires were, and used duct tape, a wood screw and some wire to secure that panel to a mud flap. Final 500 miles of the trip were uneventful.
Did I say we had fun on that trip, it really was a blast. I loved that RV, hated to move up to a bigger one to go full timing in.
Sometimes the tools you need, can be pretty simple.
Oh, and not to forget, the most important tool I had, was a good RV Roadside Assistance Plan. I may have been naïve, but not stupid.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
Peaceful Explorer

Thanks for this thread. It gave me some great hints. I have a good kit of hand tools and electrical stuff, but I had to Google "Eternabond" and I'm glad I did that, and I'm going to get some. I already have extra Pex and Pex tools from installing radiant heat in my house, so now I have a good place to keep that stuff, and my old reliable compressor just found a new home too. I need to look into what's needed to manually raise the jacks, and I'm still searching online for the wiring diagram, but I'm sure I'll figure that out. Thanks again for this thread!
RzRzRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

You'll find your wiring and plumbing diagrams here:

Wiring Diagrams

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Plumbing.htm
Old 04-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #31
Peaceful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
You'll find your wiring and plumbing diagrams here
Thanks Bob!
RzRzRzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RzRzRzR View Post
I had to Google "Eternabond" and I'm glad I did that, and I'm going to get some.
Eternabond is a good choice for permanent fixes, but for temporary waterproofing fixes, I recommend:

1. For temporary waterproofing where tensile strength isn't needed, this works well and doesn't leave much, if any, residue when removed:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...7801/100507541

2. If tensile strength is needed, this works well but the residue is more of an issue when removed:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...7797/100153310