Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Industries Inc. has announced NHTSA recall 04V609000, which affects some 2003, 2004, and 2005 Itasca Suncruiser, Sunflyer, Sunova, and Sunrise models and Winnebago Adventurer, Brave, Chieftain, Sightseer, and Voyage models built between August 6, 2003, and September 3, 2004. The potential number of units affected is 3,538.

On certain motorhomes built on a 20,700-pound GVWR (or greater) Workhorse chassis, there may not be sufficient clearance in the area where the fuel line crosses the frame cross member. Without sufficient clearance, a condition could develop where the cross member may wear into the fuel line and a fuel leak could develop. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire.

Dealers will repair the affected motorhomes by providing clearance between the fuel line and frame cross members. The fuel line will be inspected and, if necessary, replaced. Repair will take approximately two hours. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need the vehicle for a longer time period.

For more information about this recall, contact Winnebago Industries at (800) 537-1885. Owner notification was expected to begin in January 2005.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Industries Inc. has announced NHTSA recall 04V609000, which affects some 2003, 2004, and 2005 Itasca Suncruiser, Sunflyer, Sunova, and Sunrise models and Winnebago Adventurer, Brave, Chieftain, Sightseer, and Voyage models built between August 6, 2003, and September 3, 2004. The potential number of units affected is 3,538.

On certain motorhomes built on a 20,700-pound GVWR (or greater) Workhorse chassis, there may not be sufficient clearance in the area where the fuel line crosses the frame cross member. Without sufficient clearance, a condition could develop where the cross member may wear into the fuel line and a fuel leak could develop. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire.

Dealers will repair the affected motorhomes by providing clearance between the fuel line and frame cross members. The fuel line will be inspected and, if necessary, replaced. Repair will take approximately two hours. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need the vehicle for a longer time period.

For more information about this recall, contact Winnebago Industries at (800) 537-1885. Owner notification was expected to begin in January 2005.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks 3huskies, Workhorse builds the chassis,runs gas line to gas tank, must cross over frame to gas tank on all their chassis's, supplied to all coach builders. Maybe we all have to check our WH platforms.-----'007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:42 AM   #4

3 Big Dogs,

Thank you, anytime there is a RECALL or a CONSUMER ALERT I think it's important that the topic be RATE 5 CHECKS or that the Topic have some method of being marked in some way so it stands out.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-21-2005, 05:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tomcat,
Especially a recall that can cause a fire, as you well know.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the information about a possible recall for the fuel line problem. I was under my coach today and couldn't find the fuel line in question. From the tank I found a line going to generator and the fill lines but don't know where the line feeding the engine may be. If anyone finds it please advise so I can look again before I contact Winnebago. Thanks
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You will need to look under the doghouse.

NOTE: These photos are for informational purposes only!

You must follow the instructions on your recall notice!

2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35U - W22 Workhorse (Prone to Brake Problems)
MKCROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Is this recall on the Workhorse W22 also, or just on the 20,700 pound Workhorse? I have a 2004 Adverturer built in April of 2003 and I checked today and mine looks just like the photos that were posted. Also is this only a Winnebago problem or is it a Workhorse problem?

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Dick N.
The recall includes W22 also.
"on a 20,700 gvwr or greater Workhorse chassis"
That is how it is worded.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Very nice photos MKCROSS!!

Thanks for helping us all see where the trouble may be. Next time I have my doghouse cover off I'm definitely going to check that fuel line for clearance.

And thanks to 3huskies for bringing this topic to the forum.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes, nice photos. But on my Adverturer 35U I can see with a flashlight over the wheel on the driver's side where the problem is without taking the doghouse off. My WH was made in April 2003 before the recall dates but the gas line just hits the metal. I don't think it will be a problem but will keep track of it. Others might like to check their rigs also.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Received my recall notice in the mail and before I proceeded to make an appointment at my dealer (six week wait, (the gas line could rupture before that) I decided to take a look for myself.

After two hours of searching for the mysterious screws that were hidden under the carpet, I was able to get the doghouse removed.

Just as suspected, the gas line was directly against the wiring support channel. Rather than taking the pry bar approach, I opted to cut a short length of 5/8" garden hose, split it length wise, and wire-tied it over the portion of the gas line that comes in contact with the support channel. Wa-la...no more chafing problem and I saved the aggravation of dealing with the dealer. (They said if they found the chafing problem, they would have to order the repair parts (?) and I'd have to return with the coach for repair, i.e., more aggravation :~)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsr71:
After two hours of searching for the mysterious screws that were hidden under the carpet, I was able to get the doghouse removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could you elaborate a bit more about where you found the screws?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I took a look at mine and I was supprised to find that the channel carring the wires on mine was made of plastic and was over an inch away from the fuel line. Do some have metal channels and some have plastic? Also, when taking the dog house off I found that Winnebago had put 2 screws into the from edge of the dog house next to the firewall. These screws were not in the book and the dealer did not know they were there either. When I unlocked the latch for the dog house the cover still would not come off until I found and removed the screws. The heads of the screws were buried in the carpet and hard to find. Does any one else have the screws in their cover?
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

[/QUOTE]Could you elaborate a bit more about where you found the screws? [/QUOTE]

DriVer,

The two screws were located " to " of an inch back from the forward edge of the doghouse and approximately " up from the floor. They are VERY concealed & buried deep in the carpet. I couldn't even find them with a powerful magnet. Use of a sharp object (ice pick) proved useless I knew the approximate location from another post so I just probed & twisted with a Phillips screw driver until I found them (a true test of my patience
Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I believe most all of the gas Winnies have these two phillips head scews installed on the front of the doghouse; -must be for some purpose, but it eludes me. All we know is that it makes getting the doghouse cover off the first time a frustrating experience. The screws on mine were about 4" up above the flat floor, and set back about 3/4" on the doghouse from where it contacts the firewall area. Ya gotta dig in the carpet with your fingers, maybe even with a flashlight to find the screw heads. -I've left the screws out and the doghouse cover seems to hold just fine with only the main allen bolt clamp.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all of you, I easily found the screws on my doghouse, as decribed. Would have been tough without this forum item. Ya done good!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

mrsr71, thanks for mentioning the two screws. I had them too. Passenger side was 1 1/2" up and 3/4" back from the front of the dog house and the floor. The drivers side screw was 1/2" up and 3/8" back. The drivers side was hard to find but I finally pulled back a little carpet and found it. Whoever put the screw in had pulled the carpet back also. When I pulled the cover off, some of the rubber gasket pulled loose too so be sure to tuck that back in place before you reinstall the cover.

Bill Smith,I have the same 37B you have and my wire channel is made of thin sheet metal. At least it sounded metal, I couldn't find the magnet.

My fuel line had 1" of clearance.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful posts on this subject.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

i saw where a dealer told a member he would have to order the parts if his line was touching the metal tray. my dealer said winn told him to just bend metal back. so is there a kit or not