Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear Slide Power

2002 Itasca Horizon 36LD
For some reason all of the sudden I have to have the Engine running for the BR slide to work.
Sometimes it will work without key on or engine running but more and more I have to start the engine to get the slide to extend or retract.
Any Ideas on where to look?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That happened with our Winnebago 35L when the batteries were having a near death experience and needed to be replaced. Is your "car" battery charging properly when the coach is running? I would check the batteries, both house and engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I struggled with that problem for several years. Even with good chassis batteries, I had the problem. I had two RV shops investigate to no avail. Last year we finally made it to the Winne factory and they replaced one of the two automotive type solenoids that are attached to the head of the pump motor. The slide now works every time, engine running or not.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I think your slide is hydraulic so this may not help yours. Mine is electric and the bedroom slide sometimes labors to go in or out. First I make sure I am plugged into shore power or the engine is running. Second, when it starts to labor I extend it and lightly spray the carpet where the slide travels with silicone. It's surprising the difference it makes.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like Slmranger gets the prize. Batteries are good. Had to replace pump year ago. Will check solenoids. May try hitting them with hammer, worked on my last coach.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Sounds like Slmranger gets the prize. Batteries are good. Had to replace pump year ago. Will check solenoids. May try hitting them with hammer, worked on my last coach.
Yes to the hammer. Once on a trip, neither of the slides would deploy. I gave those solenoids a tap with a hammer and they worked. The solenoids look like a standard starter solenoid. I believe one works the pump motor for the jacks and the other the slides. They replaced only one at Winnebago.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Followup on this. I tapped the solenoids with a hammer prior to a trip to Colorado. Never had another problem for the entire trip.

It may have been that the batteries were a bit run down also because I had not used the MH in a month and had only run it for a short time weekly and had not run it enough to top off the Chassis Batttery.

Either way it is working fine.

Only other trouble I had on the trip was on the last day I had trouble getting started. Not the motor home,,,,,ME, I did not want to leave.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Another thing to watch for is low hydraulic fluid. I know this b/c our back slide wouldn't work but our front slide would work. Turned out after checking fluid and filling all returned to working. Just remember that the hydraulic fluid has a further path to travel and if it gets low it will more than likely not have enough fluid to operate the furthest slide. .....that's my 2 cents.

Tags
power, slide