Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my 04 Horizon that long rear mudflap that says Itasca on it is ready to come off. I was under the Coach doing some MX and noticed that the holes through the rubber that attaches with shackles to the frame are cracked. The crack extends from the hole radius to the edge and was just ready to split. Called Winnie and they have a fix that reinforces that hole. Will call the Dealer tomorrow and see what happens.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 04 Horizon that long rear mudflap that says Itasca on it is ready to come off. I was under the Coach doing some MX and noticed that the holes through the rubber that attaches with shackles to the frame are cracked. The crack extends from the hole radius to the edge and was just ready to split. Called Winnie and they have a fix that reinforces that hole. Will call the Dealer tomorrow and see what happens.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's what others have said about that:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=2486094452&m=236109288
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have the same problem. Just took it off as we are heading to Fl. Will have it repaired when we get back. It is sure a poor design and has been posted here before. I am not sure it needs to be there. Sure is heavy. Maybe 100 lbs. I will see how it is without. Might leave it off. I am sure it is a costly item. Mybe i can sell it back to winny. ha ha..
Old 01-20-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Decided to put ours on a scale - 65 lbs as I recall (did it in October).

My dealer called a month after we got to Florida to let us know that our new mud flap came in (looks like it was lost for over a month).
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine fell off of my '05 39 Journey the day I took delivery! As I pulled off the lot the salesman is running after me waving his arms! Having read the other post (linked to earlier) I figured it was the result of too many test drives where the coach sat down on the guard as the air was dumped. They took it back and got two carabiners (SP?) into the 'other' set of holes and got it hooked up so I could finish taking delivery. My dealer ordered a replacement and when it came in they told me the primary mounts had been reinforced so this should not happen again? Having read about using chains on this forum I suggested they leave the carabiners in as they would provide some extra play which may prevent the flap being compressed between the coach and ground. They thought it was a good idea so mine hangs slightly lower than stock but I think it will help. I'll let you know if and when the replacement fails.

Russ

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Have the same problem. Just took it off as we are heading to Fl. Will have it repaired when we get back. It is sure a poor design and has been posted here before. I am not sure it needs to be there. Sure is heavy. Maybe 100 lbs. I will see how it is without. Might leave it off. I am sure it is a costly item. Mybe i can sell it back to winny. ha ha.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please report to the list after arriving in FL if you have picked up any more dirt without the flap than with it.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on an 04 meridian. Problem is when dumping air, the flap will not move, drops straight down and hits exhaust pipe, which in turn tries to tear the attaching clamp out of the flap. I modified by removing the angle brackets that attach to sub frame. Added 3 chain links. Bolted the chain thru the sub frame and hooked the clamp thru chain. (clamp hangs the flap) After modification use the next closest holes in flap. This now allows the flap to move back or forward when dumping the suspension air. Have had no problems since. Appears as tho not much thought went into this by winnebago and they are still using the same flap attaching method on the 05's. Hope this helps.
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

CMASERV - that is exactly what I was going to do if dealer didn't take care of it. Dealer did put steel bar along top and it is much stronger now IMO. I don't really want the new one waiting for me to get back from FLA.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
hi all, yep been there too.. had my flap fall off in nashville... winni folks were great.. they gave me permission to leave it behind and did replace it with a new one (a bit narrower - which eliminates the problem of the squat situation).. this was after i checked with the local winni dealer and a local camping world for a fix - then winni said ok to leave it behind.. that sucker is heavy.. and it collects dirt, oil, mud, etc..

bob c

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote