Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The rear bottom cap on our Meridian 36G has come loose on both sides and after looking at it, it seems that some sort of adhesive was used to fasten it. From the residue, it looks as if something like Liquid Nails was used.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what adhesive I should use to secure it?

Thanks

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The rear bottom cap on our Meridian 36G has come loose on both sides and after looking at it, it seems that some sort of adhesive was used to fasten it. From the residue, it looks as if something like Liquid Nails was used.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what adhesive I should use to secure it?

Thanks

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Go to a heavy truck/trailer repair place or parts house that provides support to them. There are heavy duty adhesives they use to "glue" panels together or to the frame. Uniroyal "Silaprene" (not sure of the spelling) is one. 3M and others have similar products. Once set up, it takes a temp of @350 degrees to soften it to take it apart without destroying things. These "glues" are used in place of rivits and screws and they do hold once they set up.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gad, I didn't know my coach was glued together like a model air plane. I knew the front cap, the front and rear hood hinges were glued on but it seems more places show up all the time. Guess Winnebago should supply a bucket of glue with each new coach.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should be able to find a sealant list on Winnie's web site - look at your drawings and parts list.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,

I had to redo both the front and rear access covers and the bottom front cap on our rig. It's not cheep but I used the Scotch Weld DP460NS and I can attest to its ease of use and strength. For this product, you'll need the cheapo plastic dispenser gun. It is very thick and won't sag on vertical surfaces. Be sure to sand both surfaces before bonding (I'm sure this is why the original adhesive gives out, glossy paint!) to achieve a good bond.

A search of this forum will produce other product recommendations but I don't think you'll find any as strong as the Scotch Weld. Here is one link to a source and I would contact them to find out the date of manufacture on the product they send you. This stuff does have a shelf life and the newer the better. Shelf life past one year on any product should be suspect.

http://www.tapecase.com/c.4.1.1/scotch-weld-adhesives-i...-pak-cartridges.aspx
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My front fender was attached to a piece if 1" square steel stock with what looked like 2-sided tape. After removing about 1" of the tape at the very bottom, I attached it back with JB Weld. Hope I don't ever have to remove the fender because it's stuck good now. Don't know if it was a good idea but it worked for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Rick:

I had similar problem. Used a construction adhesive (PL 400) found at any Home Depot or Lowe's. Comes in a common caulking gun sized tube.

So far, so good. Stuff really sitcks, and is low cost.

Dean
J. Dean Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When I bought my unit at 2 years old I had the dealer fix a couple of places where the glue had come apart. When I found some more places recently I bought some Epoxy Putty by Por 15 from a body shop supply outlet. It has worked great for me and what I haven't used will last for a very long time. No special tools required.

Plus I have used it for a shower bracket repair repair as well. Great product at $25.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Great information -- What a great forum! Many thanks for all the ideas.

Fortunately, I am now in sunny Florida, so I can work on things in warm weather which makes me much happier.

Thanks again for your help!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD