Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rear Bedroom Slide Dead

I have a HWH 310 issue. Rear bed room slide switch was intermittent for both extend and retract since bringing coach out of winter sleep. Front slide works fine with no issues every time on activiation and tested between 11.5 and 12.5v (front) without engine on. However the rear bed room slide stopped working now completely. It was intermittent and getting worst - however the switch would work sometimes after several tries. It still could work after a days rest and/or engine running (maybe). Today I was able to extend after some 50 tries in order to get my HWH manual. After another 50 tries, it still will not retract. What is the issue? Fuses should be good, oil is good, relays should be good as front slide works just fine and only one relay for both slides, voltage is good 12.2v tested at the relay. Also, where is the control box mounted on the Horizon? Does anyone have the link to the 310 LED's? I'm playing phone tag with HWH cust service, and sent same Q in on HWH web site. Ideas would be great on which wire to check, where to put a volt meter, etc. Also, I tried to pull out the rear bedroom toggle switch to take a look and test it with the meter, but you know what, you cannot get that switch out of the wall - I tried to slide out the switch, but was afraid I would put a big hole in the wall.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I had bedroom slide issue 2wks ago

We have a 05 Tiffin & 2wks ago slide would not go out. Just as you did i started checking everything. I then read some post about same problems & one person advised that sometimes the breakers ( big ones with heavy wires & nuts) maybe some call it relay could simply be stuck or had overheated? He advised to tap all breaker with wooden small hammer or screwdriver handle. So i did & slide worked & has not gotten stuck for 2wks now ? Im no Rv mechanic, but it worked so wont hurt to try ! Best of luck to ya !
3in1energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, my way of "tapping" the slide relay is to run the front slide for a bit since there is one relay used for both front and rear slides. The relay always connects for the front slide every time, so it seems the relay should be working for the rear slide as well.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My Tiffin has seperate breaker for front & rear slides. I found which one was the rear in the electrical diagram manual. I dont know how yours is all connected.
3in1energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You should check the cable and plug where it plugs into HWH control box itself. Since it sounds like everything actually works it simply may be loose there. I had a problem similar to yours and replaced the rear switch, but that did not really solve the problem, and it turned out to be a loose connection of the plug at the control box (box with clear cover on my system). You can pull out the switch in rear, it comes straight out with some prying (The switch is made with two parts, one is the rocker switch part and the other is a base mount that the first part plugs into) and you will see that there are I believe 6 wires involved. You can check there to make sure all are making good contact with the parts of the switch there as well to ensure that they are fully pushed into the switch base. If you can find out from your wiring diagram you may be able to jumpt them there to see if it works.

I would have sworn up and down my problem was the switch, but in the end it appears to have been the connection where it plugged into the control box. Was frustrating for sure.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The swtich is hard to pry out, I used a small sized drywall joint compound blade to work around the edges to get it loose enough to get out. I think it took 15 or 20 minutes of working on it to get it out.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The HWH control box on our 2000 Horizon 36LD is located just in front of the driver's feet. There is a carpet covered false wall in front of the driver's left foot that hides the control box, CB radio antenna connection, and a test plug for engine/transmission data.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have a similar issue with my 02 Journey with same system. However, my rear slide always works if I start the big motor so I've always figured it had to do with some voltage drop in the wiring from the switch in the bedroom.

However, once, it did as you describe. Even running the engine would not make the slide work. What I found was a slightly loose connector at the pump assembly. There is a multi-pin connector that had just barely pulled apart....not enough to see visually but when I pushed on it, there was a slight click and it has worked fine since.

As previously noted, the control box for our system is mounted to the firewall at the drivers feet in the mass of wires.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have had an intermittent problem with my front slide not coming out. The last time I had the engine running so that has no effect. This week I removed the front grill to access the connectors on the slide actuators on top of the pump. They did not appear to be loose but I took them apart and looked for corrosion or moisture. I found none so I reconnected them and tested and it did not act up for the test. If it happens again I will check the other connections under the pump. Which makes me feel it is an actuator is the pump runs under load and it appears to me the oil pressure is not reaching the ram.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Not familiar with the 310 system since ours is the 625, but I have had this issue ans was able to diagnose it with the LED's on the 625's board.

HERE is the HWH support page with several articles on the 310

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
The HWH control box on our 2000 Horizon 36LD is located just in front of the driver's feet. There is a carpet covered false wall in front of the driver's left foot that hides the control box, CB radio antenna connection, and a test plug for engine/transmission data.
OK, ya, mine rig has that carpet covered wall and foot box on the left side. I will look for it. Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have a similar issue with my 02 Journey with same system. However, my rear slide always works if I start the big motor so I've always figured it had to do with some voltage drop in the wiring from the switch in the bedroom.
Thats it! I've had this rig for 3 years and never a problem, but now out of a winter where it was down to low teens, it must be effecting the wiring, connectors, or some corrosion in the system. But after firing up the rig and showing 13.4v on the pannel, all is good. Like I said, the rear slide always worked before on battery power alone, but no more. Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have had an intermittent problem with my front slide not coming out. The last time I had the engine running so that has no effect. This week I removed the front grill to access the connectors on the slide actuators on top of the pump. They did not appear to be loose but I took them apart and looked for corrosion or moisture
Don
Petro, I took off the panel was well, and the unit covered in nasty, oily grim. I will have to run a degreaser over it all before starting to check the connectors. I did remove the breather plug, and it also looks I may be a little low on the hyro fluid as well.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHTRAINS View Post
You should check the cable and plug where it plugs into HWH control box itself. Since it sounds like everything actually works it simply may be loose there
Ya, this is probably the source of the V drop as I think the toggle switch is fine really. But with all the forum help, I can now find the control box and check that connector - it is very long run of wire back to the rear bed room switch and then all the way back to the front, probably why the front slide switch mounted on the dash still works fine.

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
HERE is the HWH support page with several articles on the 310
Thanks for the link Jeff. It was with the manuals that I discovered there is only one relay for the jacks and one relay for the slides. At first I was thinking bad relay, but since the same relay is used to activate the system with either the front or rear slide, it must not be the problem. Thanks!!

Tags
horizon, hwh, itasca, slideout problem