Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Re-sealing soil stacks, NuFlex vs Dicor

While cleaning the roof on my Journey, I noticed the sealant failing around the two holding tank vent pipes. Some time ago I ordered a new outer skylight shell from Winnebago and they shipped it with a tube of NuFlex. I did not use the NuFlex since I had a tube of Dicor and I used mostly eternabond tape on the skylight.

According to the NuFlex tube, it is a 'self leveling silicone sealant.' It also says its primary use is to seal cracks in concrete floors and is not recommended for walls or ceilings. It says nothing about use on a roof or use on fiberglass, etc.

Apparently, Winnebago thought it was a good product for use around the skylight.

Is anyone familiar with this product?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Gary, we use the Dicor Lap Sealant around the roof vents. Tried and true.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is the only sealant Winnebago recommends for their roofs. The Nuflex is more durable than the standard silicone sealant. Use of other products will effect your warranty.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Smlranger:
I also use Dicor - works like a charm. I have a 98 Cheiftain and also need a outer skylite. If you don't mind saying - what did it cost for the new lite? approx Thanks Bob
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
Smlranger:
I also use Dicor - works like a charm. I have a 98 Cheiftain and also need a outer skylite. If you don't mind saying - what did it cost for the new lite? approx Thanks Bob
If I remember correctly, the outer panel for my Journey was about $114 plus shipping.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
While cleaning the roof on my Journey, I noticed the sealant failing around the two holding tank vent pipes. Some time ago I ordered a new outer skylight shell from Winnebago and they shipped it with a tube of NuFlex. I did not use the NuFlex since I had a tube of Dicor and I used mostly eternabond tape on the skylight.

According to the NuFlex tube, it is a 'self leveling silicone sealant.' It also says its primary use is to seal cracks in concrete floors and is not recommended for walls or ceilings. It says nothing about use on a roof or use on fiberglass, etc.

Apparently, Winnebago thought it was a good product for use around the skylight.

Is anyone familiar with this product?
The reason it is not recommended for walls and ceilings is because it needs a flat, horizontal surface in order to flow into the cracks and "self-level", otherwise it just runs down the wall, etc. So for that function, it would seem the roof would qualify.

I don't know about any of the rest of it, except that if Winnebago sent it to you for a roof repair/seal, it should work for a roof repair/seal.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I did use the NuFlex. It flows like Dicor but seems like a more dense material. Will see how it holds up.

Tags
dicor