Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Re-Level Motorhome w/Slide-outs out?

Sometimes my Motorhome gets out-of-level if I stay in one place for several days, or there has been a hard rain and the gravel / dirt settles.

I have always retracted the slide-outs before retracting the jacks and then auto leveling the jacks again.

My questions is... Am I wasting fuel and time retracting the slide-outs? Can I just retract the jacks and auto level again with the slide-outs out?

I cannot find anything in the manual so I would appreciate input and suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Rick
Old 08-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I normally level w/ the slides in. But for re-adjustment I leave the slides out. My jacks work in pairs.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you don't Auto Level when adjusting the level then you should be OK to leave the slides out. You should only be moving it a tad bit, just a bump or two. Most on the never ones work in pairs anyway. If it is way off then yeah I would bring in the slides and do Auto Level.
You may need to invest in Pads or elephant feet for the levelers so they don't sink in to the ground too much and make massive changes in the level.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've re-leveled many times with our slides out. In fact, I don't even retract and auto level again - I just manually extend the set that needs it to make the correction. I don't start the engine to make these small adjustments either, just turn on the key. I haven't had any problems.
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Although apples to oranges as we have HWH, we just tap the auto level and the small re-level is made. This is with the slides out and not sunk in the ground. Our next motorhome will have HWH as they have been great.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlowe11 View Post
I've re-leveled many times with our slides out. In fact, I don't even retract and auto level again - I just manually extend the set that needs it to make the correction. I don't start the engine to make these small adjustments either, just turn on the key. I haven't had any problems.
X2

I just go to manual mode and adjust what I need without the engine running. The Autolevel mode needs to retract and start over, which requires air on the system for the suspension to reset. Kind of a hassle.

In fact, I'm still trying to recalibrate mine to 0, but its not taking the command on the keyboard, so I need to spend more time with it.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My opinion, definitely don't run the slides if the coach isn't level.
If the coach jacks have sunk and put the coach in a twist, that twist (if you have Schwintek) gets transferred to the slides by the Schwintek drive system. Schwintek has enough problems without running them while applying a twist to the slides.
Definitely level the coach before you run the slides in or out.

Have you had any trouble with your slide drive system?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If this situation occurs, that of settling and becoming somewhat out of level, I will just manually bump the jacks to get back to level. While leaving the slides out.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On mine you can fine - tune the level at any time by hitting the HWH power-on button to turn the system on, then tap the auto-level button. It will check and fine -tune the hacks and shut down when finished. Or you ci uld do the same thing manually. There is no need to mess with the slides and/or retract and re-deploy the jacks.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

X-2 here.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, slide