Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Re glue front cap bracket

Today while I was prepping the front lower cap for re-install on the coach after some work, one of the large metal brackets that are glued to the cap fell off in my hand . I'm going to re-attach with some JB Weld and, since there is really no way to clamp those things where they are while the epoxy cures, I will also add two stainless bolts to each bracket. That will provide the necessary 'clamping' force and also strengthen the joints forever.

I've sanded and cleaned the metal bracket but am curious what I should do with the big glob of factory adhesive still clinging to the back of the cap. It is really stuck fast (the failure was the bond with the un-prepped metal bracket) to the fiberglass. So, can I just rough it up a bit and bond away or do most folks who have done these repairs grind it all away?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Today while I was prepping the front lower cap for re-install on the coach after some work, one of the large metal brackets that are glued to the cap fell off in my hand . I'm going to re-attach with some JB Weld and, since there is really no way to clamp those things where they are while the epoxy cures, I will also add two stainless bolts to each bracket. That will provide the necessary 'clamping' force and also strengthen the joints forever.

I've sanded and cleaned the metal bracket but am curious what I should do with the big glob of factory adhesive still clinging to the back of the cap. It is really stuck fast (the failure was the bond with the un-prepped metal bracket) to the fiberglass. So, can I just rough it up a bit and bond away or do most folks who have done these repairs grind it all away?
You are going to go through the front of your cap with a bolt??😳😱😰😵
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
You are going to go through the front of your cap with a bolt??😳😱😰😵
Yepper. Four very nice flat head stainless bolts with stainless finish (counter sink) washers. Very common on high end boats and won't look any worse that all the other hardware that is exposed on these things.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Yepper. Four very nice flat head stainless bolts with stainless finish (counter sink) washers. Very common on high end boats and won't look any worse that all the other hardware that is exposed on these things.
Are you putting matching ones on the other side to balance out the look?
Just wondering, I had the brackets fail and had them reglued at an auto body shop. They said that the problem was that the metal on the brackets had not been properly prepared. Have not had problems but only had repaired 7 months ago. Better bet I am careful with that hatch when I open and close it. CW estimated 600 for the job. Auto body shop did it for 150😊.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Are you putting matching ones on the other side to balance out the look?
Just wondering, I had the brackets fail and had them reglued at an auto body shop. They said that the problem was that the metal on the brackets had not been properly prepared. Have not had problems but only had repaired 7 months ago. Better bet I am careful with that hatch when I open and close it. CW estimated 600 for the job. Auto body shop did it for 150��.
For sure. I am using two bolts for each bracket so it will look the same on both sides.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We had the same problem with our Horizon, only both side brackets came apart. This will sound silly but it works great, its been 5 years & ours is still holding strong. My husband used regular Gorilla Glue, we bought a large bottle, but only used a small amount. He put glue on the side of the bracket that goes against the fiberglass with a toothbrush, then on the fiberglass. He purchased a couple of clamps, turning the adjustments so they would be pressing away from each other. He added more glue where he thought it would be needed. As the glue dries it foams and blends together. He let it dry for 2 days then sprayed it flat black to blend with the underside of the coach. It looks a little bumpy but unless your under the coach it is not seen. I'm not sure but I think he may have used some wood to help hold the clamps.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Had the same exact problem a couple years ago on my Tour. Scuffed up the bracket and cleaned both sides with Alcohol and glued them back on with JB Weld. Used gorilla tape to hold them in place while the glue set overnight. Haven't had a problem since. Was able to pull the other side loose by hand so I glued it in too! No need for bolts in my opinion.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gary: I did the same with button head stainless steel screws and washers years ago. Also used Gorrilla Glue. Don't forget the back skirt. Nothing like peace of mind while going down the highway.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

smlranger, same problem, I used JBWeld and I installed the bracket back onto the existing footprint in the old adhesive but I cleaned and roughed the adhesive with sandpaper. Just attached the JBWeld directly to the old adhesive and it is holding fine for two years now. My front cap was still on, so I used wood splints to prop against other framing members to put pressure on the bracket till it hardened.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I used 3M5200 on mine. Still holding 3 years later.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

smlranger - I have the 03 version of your coach and have been looking at the bolt solution also for peace of mind but haven't found a good source for what you are describing locally. Where did you get yours and what size are they?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ace, True Value, Home Depot or Lowes. Go to hardware/fasteners section. Go to the area with small drawers labeled Stainless steel screws/nuts etc. I used 1/4-20 button head (half round head with a allen wrench socket) in the middle. Measure length required and put SS washers under bolt and washer after drilling 9/32 hole. Drill holes symetrically on each side through fiberglass and into steel bracket attached to frame. Hope this helps.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You can purchase good stainless fasterners at West Marine stores. The SS fasteners found at the local hardware store may not be the good quality SS and you will have 'rust' streaks later on. I speak from experience with my past boating life of many years.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone! After I had a better idea of what I was looking for I found this website that looked like a good source for all types of bolts. West Marine had them also but they only sold in bulk from what I could tell and I really only need maybe 10-20 for front and back.

Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online