Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rattling MCD shade?

We pulled the trigger on the '13/'14 Tour last week, and have brought it home. So far so good. We like it a lot. I found one problem as soon as I pulled onto I-75 though. It seems that the MCD duo shade over the driver's chair starts rattling as soon as the road speed gets over about 30 mph. I can't think of anything else that could be making the rattle. I've pushed, pulled, squeezed and changed the level of both blinds while it was making the noise to absolutely no effect. They don't rattle if you push them and don't seem to be loose. Is there something on the inside of those shade cylinders that could rattle? The shades are working flawlessly, btw, and none of the others seem to be making any noise. Any ideas?

Thanks,

.........JB
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Any rattle can normally be cured by pulling one shade in the pair down a wee bit. I found ours sometimes rattled against one another or a window frame or other fixed object. To cure frame rattle I put a small piece of self stick Velcro (the soft side) on the ends of the bar across the bottom of the shade so that would hit the metal rather than letting the plastic bar hit the metal.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have several small 3/4" velcro pads attached at the points that allow the hard plastic portion of the shade to hit the frame. It soften's the slap and there is no longer a rattle!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have the same problem with the front Duo shade in our 2013 Adventurer. Like you we've pushed, pulled and generally tried to hold everything and anything in place to determine where the rattle is coming from. Extending the shade slightly does help in some situations, but when the road is really rough nothing seems to stop it.

We've come to the determination it's something inside the roller hitting on the metal tube itself. When you sit in the drivers seat the noise sounds like it's coming from the passengers side. When sitting in the passengers side seat the noise sounds like it's coming from the drivers side.

I was going to remove the roller tube earlier this year, but the weather turned cold again and I don't want to break something. The instructions in the manual for removing the tube aren't very good. I want to be sure I understand the procedure thoroughly so I don't damage anything trying to remove and reinstall it.

The way it looks summer will be 1 day late in July. I'll revisit it then.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try calling MCD and explain your problem they seem to be very accommodating.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I did the same thing Paul above did on all my shades. Small piece of soft side velcro. MCD should do that to begin with.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I did the same thing Paul above did on all my shades. Small piece of soft side velcro. MCD should do that to begin with.
They did when they installed mine at the factory. They ought to include the velcto when they send the shades to a customer or dealer.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My 2010 Tour came with MCD on the front window, drivers window, the door and the small window just aft of the door. A few summers ago while staying in the Chula Vista RV park, a guy who sells MCD gave me a verbal quote on buying and installing electric shades on all windows that had those fan folded day/night drapes. I told him that I would find 12 volt power and leave a 2 strand wire exposed so he could hook up the power and, I would remove the old shades. He quoted me $25.00 labor per window. When he returned with a written quote he upped the labor to $75.00 per window. I asked why and he response was, "it's a fair price" I told him to go to hell and called MCD and ordered the day/night electric shades for my entire coach. That summer while at the RV park, I installed all the shades which work off of a master Remote and I also have a few 2 button remotes. I bought some self stick Velcor and padded all the bars so they don't bang around and the MCD's are much nicer than the fan folded shades and as far as I'm concerned, they made a huge cosmetic difference.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions. I've sent MCD an email describing the problem so I expect to hear back from them later in the week. If I get a good solution I'll let you know.

......JB
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've sent MCD an email describing the problem so I expect to hear back from them later in the week. If I get a good solution I'll let you know.

......JB
I look forward to hearing their response. I have done the velcro, shade adjusting and simply putting a hand on them when they get out of control. The problem is intermittent so I have not really been troubled enough to pursue a fix. Thanks for seeking one.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Interesting my 2012 came with velcro on all the shades I only had to add more on the little one foot wide one by the passengers seat.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My front shade rattles a little, so I drop it down 1/4" and that solves it. I don't consider that a manufacturing error/flaw.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I am fixing to have MCD install shades in my coach over the dinette table and the sofa, the two front side windows....removing my day/night shades.

Since I have tinted the windows dark limo tint, there is no need for a day shade anymore....

Right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I am fixing to have MCD install shades in my coach over the dinette table and the sofa, the two front side windows....removing my day/night shades.

Since I have tinted the windows dark limo tint, there is no need for a day shade anymore....

Right?
Not unless you sometimes open the window and still want shade??
Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

We're taking our Adventurer to the factory in Forest City April 21st to have some other items taken care of before the warranty expires. I added the shade to the list. It'll be interesting to see what they do to resolve it. Ours doesn't seem to respond do lowering it a little. It's somewhat intermittent, but when it decides to rattle it doesn't make much difference what I do.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The front windshield shades on mine would slap back and forth, they did have the tiny Velcro from the factory but that was not enough. I took a hot glue gun and put a fair sized glop of glue on front and back of both shades. This acted like a little baby buggy bumper!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We're taking our Adventurer to the factory in Forest City April 21st to have some other items taken care of before the warranty expires. I added the shade to the list. It'll be interesting to see what they do to resolve it. Ours doesn't seem to respond do lowering it a little. It's somewhat intermittent, but when it decides to rattle it doesn't make much difference what I do.
You might want to contact MCD direct. They are located in the Dallas TX area and their staff is very helpful. I installed MY MCD Cockpit shades myself and Peggy Grich always responded to my emails on questions that I had during the order process and installation. Very knowledgeable and nice to work with. Even if you have the "factory" make any adjustments it may be good to know firsthand what MCD recommends to correct this.

So far I have not had any rattles and love the MCD shades.

Good Luck

Peggy Grich
MCD Innovations
3303 N. McDonald St.
McKinney, TX 75071
[email protected]
972-548-1850
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

If you remove the shade assembly from the brackets (clips), you can see if the whole roller is loose. The spacing on the mount is adjustable by loosening screws on the top. Don't make it too tight or the shade won't retract properly.

Another possibility is that all of the clips that hold the shade assembly are not engaged. That will definitely cause a rattle, especially if it's one on the end.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

As an update on the original problem, MCD called me a couple of days ago and sent me a diagram and parts list for the shade. The first suggestion was to remove the shade (its the one over the driver's left shoulder) and drive the coach to verify that the shade is the problem. If it is, he said to call him back and we'd talk through the possibilities. I am happy with the response, but haven't had time to work on it yet.