Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rattling entrance door

One more question. I have a very annoying rattle in the entrance door. While on the road this weekend my son isolated and eliminated the noise by pulling on the door handle. This silenced the rattle. It is not possible to take him along on every trip to pull on the door so😄, can either the striker or latch be adjusted to pull the door tighter?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As your RV is so new I'll assume it's not a worn weather seal. I'm also going to assume it's like any RV door striker I've messed with, although I can't remember when the last time was.

Yes, you should be able to adjust the striker. If it's like any I've seen it's on a concentric so loosening the screw (in the middle of the end) will allow you to move it, or the post may have "flat spots" on it allowing you to turn the entire post with a wrench. Be careful, however, not to loosen it anymore than you absolutely need to. If it comes apart it will be a major pain to get it back together. It will also be frustrating as it won't just move back and forth, or up and down, as you might want it to, it will rotate around the concentric washer you can't see inside the door jam. In other words, it will go up or down a bit when all you really wanted to do was move it in, or out. You may need to futz with it a bit.

Good luck.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If adjusting the striker does not do it, try wrapping some electrical tape around the striker. That "Low Tech" fix keeps mine quiet, just have to replace the tape periodically.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a horrible metal on metal screech from the door latch on my 2011 Vista 35f. The coating on the latch post had worn thru. I considered the electrical tape solution, but made a more durable fix by zip tying a piece of thin brass sheeting (available at most hobby stores) around the post. I keep a spare piece of brass as it will wear out eventually. Steel rubbing on brass does not make noise like steel on steel.
trafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafman View Post
I had a horrible metal on metal screech from the door latch on my 2011 Vista 35f. The coating on the latch post had worn thru. I considered the electrical tape solution, but made a more durable fix by zip tying a piece of thin brass sheeting (available at most hobby stores) around the post. I keep a spare piece of brass as it will wear out eventually. Steel rubbing on brass does not make noise like steel on steel.
I've used tape (successfully) for a year or so, but I'll give the brass tubing a try. Sounds like a good idea!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
If adjusting the striker does not do it, try wrapping some electrical tape around the striker. That "Low Tech" fix keeps mine quiet, just have to replace the tape periodically.
I had to use the electrical tape method too. There was a very annoying grating sound and adjusting the components didn't cure it.

Electrical tape was the only thing that worked...other materials were too thick and the door wouldn't close correctly.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
One more question. I have a very annoying rattle in the entrance door. While on the road this weekend my son isolated and eliminated the noise by pulling on the door handle. This silenced the rattle. It is not possible to take him along on every trip to pull on the door so😄, can either the striker or latch be adjusted to pull the door tighter?
artgpo
One strategically placed clear silicone bumper pad:
Amazon.com: silicone bumper
Fixed my door rattle.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door