Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rattles

i love my 06 itasca meridian 39k. i got the ride really working good now. the air pressure for the tires are on target, brand new koni shocks, air bag stabilizers to illiminate sway and it is really riding good. i was on I35 to and from forest city, iowa rencently and the smooth road was great with absolutely no noise. first the tv started squeaking and i figured out what was wrong there.---the tie down fasterner was loosened up on one side.
now for the log truck sounds, most bridges are not perfect matches as well as repaired road surfaces and when i cross over those, the rattle impact sounds like the front end is gonna fall off. drivers side is fine, the noise seems to be in front of the passenger seat area which includes the door, roll out floor cover, and overhead cabinets produce most of the noise. may be items in the overhead cabinets are loose and rattling, roll out floor cover may be bumping, and the door may be rattling. i think i will unload the basement bays and the overhead cabinets, get a stethascope and start listening. this almost sounds like a blog, but does anyone else have the rattling problems? help would be appreciated with suggestions.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I know this is of no use to you but I had to make the comment. The first RV we owned was a used 1999 36' National Dolphin. We liked the RV and had little problems. The one thing I noticed though was exactly what you describe....hit what would be a minor bump in a car and I could hear wood, plastic, metal, etc moving throughout the RV. But I will admit, back then I wasn't wise enough to check the tire pressure! ...dah.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I feel your pain Boyce. My coach is a 2007 but I've got the same issues in the same place! I've identified the "wood sound" as coming from where the overhead cabinets in front meet those above the copilot's head. I haven't yet dug deeply but a folded piece of felt jammed between them has solved it for now. I suspect some screws have worked loose and I'll get to finding them some day.

I don't think I have any issues with the stair well cover but the doors on these guys are infamous for emitting a "squawk" sound when hitting a bump. Mine comes and goes. Speaking just from memory (but you could probably find more using search) I think the two most common causes were the pop rivets getting loose on the bottom of the door... you need to open the door and lie on your back to see them... and, the plastic inner door panel scraping internally on door parts. I seem to remember a shop (I believe it was 3Ts in Lake Havasu) who gained a reputation for fixing this "squawk" problem by injecting some foam into the door panel.

Keep im mind that I'm old and this is all coming from memory only.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My loud rattle on "some"bumps in the road was a loose shock... FL tightened it...all is good!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Our worst noise was the microwave turntable. DW fixed that with a pillow inside the micro. The second worst was the burner grates. The rubber gromlets disappeared and the metal was rubbing on Metal. Its much quieter now.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Took care of a couple minor rattles, not big noise but easy to overlook and fix.

1) My door area squeeked/rattled when driving. Turned out was the beige panel that covers the interior of the door. Took out the 8-10 screws that hold it on, buffered many of the flat areas with thick double-stick tape and reinstalled. Much quieter.

2) The extra seat belts for the sofa (which we don't use) were just tossed randomly under the sofas, some were hitting the metal bars on the Easy-Rest sofa. I got under there and coiled up the seatbelts and eliminated those minor noises.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The most common fix for the infamous Winnebago DP door rattle is to wrap the door striker with some electrical tape. That will cure much of the door rattle for a month or so depending on how quickly the tape wears.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote