Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a rattle in the window area on passenger side. I can't locate it. I had DW drive and I looked in cabinets for a rattle. I opened the window and screen and checked the awning arm for rattle. I can't locate where it is coming from. I even removed the backing in the cabinet above the passenger and checked the bracing.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Your input would be much appreciated. I even climbed on a ladder and checked the awning mounts for loose screws.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a rattle in the window area on passenger side. I can't locate it. I had DW drive and I looked in cabinets for a rattle. I opened the window and screen and checked the awning arm for rattle. I can't locate where it is coming from. I even removed the backing in the cabinet above the passenger and checked the bracing.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Your input would be much appreciated. I even climbed on a ladder and checked the awning mounts for loose screws.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Don,
I have had the same noise since I bought mine in 2004. I was told after many times of complaining to the service tech. it was the seat belt holder fastened to the wall.
Nothing could be done to fix it as it was inside the wall mount.
Maybe this will help.
Good luck.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #4

Our sliding screen was rattling in the passenger window frame....a pull on the middle side of it corrected it.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Petro, it sounds like you may have already looked at this, but I found my "rattle" was the cabinets where they join the front overhead and the side over the passengers head. They are pulled together by a brace and they rub and rattle. I am going to put a bolt through instead of the screw.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine was the metal cover over the awning, the wind would amke it rattle like crazy. I fixed it by bringing the awning down about 1/2 way and letting it roll up again and it worked...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Our hardest to find rattle turned out to be the awning strap end from the window awning flapping against the window frame.

Lot's of possibilities!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone for your replies. The two possibilities I have not checked out yet are the seat belt mounting in the wall and the awning cover. I even thought of using a stethoscope and tracing the sound better. If I locate it I will post my finding.

Thanks;
Don
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I recently fixed a rattle in that area by tightening the screws around the window frame. However, since I'm the only one that drives, I have to rely on my wife to do the detective work. My definition of heaven would be one hour in our motorhome on a bumpy road while someone else did the driving. How little I ask.

Jack
Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have the same rattle on my 2001 Horizon. I think it's the TV antenna on the roof. Doesn't always occur, mostly when in a cross wind. Haven't done anything with it yet, but I'll let you know if I ever do and it works!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had a rattle but it was from the molding around the wheel (near ground and front drives side tire). The adhesive tape came loose. Bago put an aluminum support arm to hold the molding in place and stop flapping in the wind. It took me forever to locate the rattle. I would pulled over on the highway and empty my storage compartments apart looking for the culpir of the rattle...what a scene.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Petro,

I have a similar sound coming from the passenger side...although mine is more of a squeak than a rattle. I've tightened every screw I can find in the area. My DW doesn't drive the rig so I haven't been able to really listen while underway. She says it seems to be coming from the small window near her seat at times, then other times seems to come from the small overhead cabinet over the door.

I've suspected the seat belt mechanism but haven't figured out how to get the plastic cover off the thing. I've sprayed silicone on everything I thought might be squeaking to try and isolate the noise but that did not work.

Let us know what you find if you can get it resolved.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote